PDA

View Full Version : Front Light Terminal Box...

IAC77
22-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Has anyone had any troubles with their front light terminal boxes? According to my local dealer, mine has had it (its gone blue, which I'm told is a bad thing!) and is causing one of the front lights to intermittently go out after a few minutes of driving. The dealer doesn't know if they actually sell it as an individual part either. Does anyone know of any universal terminal boxes that can be soldered on?

Nick Mann
22-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Sorry - I don't get it. Any chance of a photo? Is it the connector block that clips to the back of the bulb?

IAC77
22-01-2007, 09:45 PM
That makes two of us! Unfortunately, I never got the dealer to physically show me what it was. All I know is that its difficult to get to, its definitely not part of the front light and its soldered in.

The dealer said he made a temporary repair, but it did it again tonight. My car has had a knock at the front at some stage in it's life and I'm guessing that could have caused it, especially if this is a very uncommon fault.

pitslayer
22-01-2007, 09:51 PM
you mean the light goes out whilst your driving.....mine does the same, try wiggling your connector on the light itself, thats what fixes mine

Exbury
23-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Not sure what he means either, however make sure its not just the plug on the back of the bulb, i.e. unplug it, check for corrosion on the terminals (Green-Blue deposits on the copper) and using a spare bulb make sure it holds the bulb spades firmly i.e. the pins aren't loose. Then get some WD 40 on it. If it fails to hold the bulb spades firmly you need to bend in the female spades slightly to get their grip back, careful operation with a long nosed pliers could do it, but dont overdo it.

Also have you tried a spare bulb as maybe the filament wire in the bulb is broken but intermittently joining to give you a light sometimes. I did have an intermittent problem on mine and it turned out to be one of these, I'm not saying the dealer is pulling your leg, but check the obvious before spending lots of money. It could also be a bad earth connection.

One temporary test could be to tap a live line from the good bulb to the 'dodgy' bulb, and tap a new earth from the body to the bulb and see if the same thing happens.

pitslayer
31-01-2007, 08:06 PM
i found out what my problem is with mine....where the bulb, connects onto the bulb holder, one of the metal prongs on the bulb holder that the connector goes to the one of the prongs has come loose

IAC77
31-01-2007, 09:15 PM
This is the part I was talking about, its called a Terminal Box / Connector Box, getting fitted tomorrow.

Exbury
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
So did it solve the problem?

IAC77
13-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Yep, problem solved :)

I guess its another thing for people to look out for if they experience similar issues with their lights.