PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Queries

IAC77
26-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm looking to buy some good quality door speakers for an 8G V6 Sport and have the following queries:

1. The front door speakers are 17cm, but what sort of clearance (in depth) is there? I'm assuming not all will fit, also what sort of weight can the doors comfortably handle?

2. On the dash, is it possible to remove the tweaters within the plastic casings? If so, what size would fit for replacement tweaters?

2. On the rear parcel shelf I have three speaker compartments, what are the sizes of all 3, and am I right in assuming the middle is designed for a sub?

n13l pm
26-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi mate. you will notice im setting up some sounds in my car at the moment too. To the first question, it depends on what type of speakers your looking to get, are you looking to run some speakers off a amps or off a head unit? depends on how much your willing to spend and what the overall aim is, i guess.

The depth of the speaker shouldnt be a problem, I havnt come across any speakers 16.5cm/17cm that you will hve problems with. I think you got about a easy 5". If your running speakers off a amp, I will be a good idea to make a MDF surround around the speaker mount and sound deaden and seal the whole door..

uploaded/2949/1169845353.jpg

Can you confirm if your tweeters are in your dash or on the corner of the door cards?? to the point, it is possible to remove and replace with which ever speaker/tweeter you want.

finally on your rear shelf I you can have a pair of 16.5cm/17cm speakers and a 8" whole for a sub (if you havnt got one already).

IAC77
26-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Cheers for the quick reply...

I guess what I'm looking for in terms of sound, is more detail and clarity with punchier bass (nothing over the top mind). What I'm currently considering is getting an amplifier and component setup for the front and leave the rear till another time. Thing is, I'm very keen on keeping the appearance of my dash as stock as possible, which is why I prefer the idea of keeping the existing tweater casings and replacing the internal units if at all possible.

"If your running speakers off a amp, I will be a good idea to make a MDF surround around the speaker mount and sound deaden and seal the whole door.."

Thanks for the advice.

n13l pm
27-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Are your tweeters not on the top corner of the door cards mate??

So you going for a SQ setup. by enclosing the doors and sound proofing it, you will increase the quality and bass of the speakers.. theres no point buying good speakers if your not going to do that, because even good speakers will sound standard if you dont set the door up. The difference will be immense mate.

As for the amp, go for a 4 channel or even a 5/6 channel if you want to run a 8" sub. If your not going for a second amp for a sub box then i reckon you get a 5/6 channel because running a 8" sub will sound just right.

IAC77
27-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Yeah the tweaters are on the top corner of the door cards.

Still not decided on a sub, as I want to see what level of bass I can get from the front first. Are there any particular materials you recommend for sound proofing doors?

n13l pm
28-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah have a look here for Sound Deadening (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198016#post198016)

IAC77
30-01-2007, 11:55 PM
n13l pm,

Sorry to dig up this thread again mate, but I've now purchased my setup:

CDT HD-62 Component Speakers (ebay for £200)
Genesis Profile 2 Amp (ebay for £120)
Stinger Pro Wiring Kit
Sound Deadning Kits for both doors

The CDT's are 2.75" in depth which means they should fit without issue, they come with a pair of 1" tweaters and I'm hoping I can dismantle them and fit them in the standard Galant tweeter casing.

Additional Questions:

1. The picture of your sound proofed door above, is it in a finished state? I only ask because I've seen a few examples on the web and they cover the entire door with the stuff. Are there any risks with this approach?

2. The MDF in the photo, was that custom made? How much does it add to the depth?

3. Would you recommend adding sound deadning directly behind the speaker, would this cause any distortion?

Cheers for your help...

Kieran
31-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah have a look here for Sound Deadening (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198016#post198016)

is the R-blox any good then?

n13l pm
31-01-2007, 12:40 AM
IAC77: Your purchases sound good mate. keep me updated on your setup, take pictures along the way.

1. My doors are not in a finished state mate, your right they should be and will be covered completely. I have also added some sound proofing spray on top of the R-blox in side the door. The reason to seal the whole door is to make a better enclosure for the speaker - enhancing the quality of the bass etc..

2. That photo does not show my MDF mounting, thats the standard mount which comes in the car. The MDF one will replace that one, which is made from plastic.

3. Yeah you have to behind the speaker! I recommend sound deadning the whole door inside and out. makesure the door sounds solid when u knock it on the outside.

Kieran: The R-blox stuff is really good. Iv done my front doors, roof, boot and most of the floor. I havnt yet put my sound system in but iv noticed a difference from road and rain noise. When you knock the panels on the outside the car feels like a brick, solid as you like, unlike the thin metal sheet sound effect!!

pitslayer
01-02-2007, 02:30 AM
how do you remove the plastic cover, where the 8" sub would sit on the parcel shelf? the white bit acutlly set in?

n13l pm
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I cant remember from the top of my head, il have a look this weekend for you. I cant believe it being more then a few clips or screws.

pitslayer
01-02-2007, 01:28 PM
hopefully my sub will have turned up today, and want to fit it lol.....sorry for the hijack btw

n13l pm
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
What sub did you get? Whats your setup if you dont mind me asking..

pitslayer
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
was just some cheap 8" sub of ebay, not bothered about that one, just want the mid really....250rms so should be nice......
eventually will be running alpine possible infinity components up front, and either infinty or alpine in the rear, ive got a 12" 1245 ifinity sub already in the boot, so most probably stick to infinity never was a fan of mix and match stereos lol....
then sorting out my car pc in the front, but will be doing it sligthly different to yours. and really thats about it, cant think of anything else im going to put in there stereo wise...
ive got past the massive system stage of my life, my Mk1 Golf GTi was running 2 12 " ifinity subs, 2 infinity 6x9s in the rear side cards....2 speakers in the door, unsure of name in there when i got it. and 2 infinity 6x9s under/in the dash....runing of clarion head unit(best head unit i ever bought, better than them stupid sony pieces of crap) and my dear god did it hum...couldnt breath with the base lol.....and all the infinity speakers were amped

n13l pm
01-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Another fellow Infinty head. I also had a infinity setup in my old car. Love their speakers, top dog for the money. I still in fact have my infinity set of 16.5cm fronts and 6by9. Looking for a new home if anyones interested. I guess I get better put them on the classified section. Anyways yeah with a 250rms 8"sub you will get a good mixture once you upgrade the rest of the speakers.

pitslayer
01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
how much would you be looking for thefront speakers? are they components with cross overs? or just the speakers? kappa or reference?

and yes i cant fault infinity for the price or sound qaulity, i had over 300 quids worth of infinty speakers inmy car, didnt pay that for them, lol i love sale prices, payedlike 200 quid i think

im not worried about the 8" to much just want the mid which im lacking in my car....need to build a bigger box for the 12" thow, will be done, when i can afford it....i really want my galant to sound good....but i also want my fastback(see sig) done and that requires lots of money 200 english pounds for one floor pan side and theres 2 of them, and i need heater channels

n13l pm
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Reference range speakers 2way not components:

Fronts (http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1198.html)

About 4months used, with box etc.. I wasnt thinking il get much for it, probly be better off selling it local as postage will be a fair bit on it.

pitslayer
01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
got any pics, ? of them

n13l pm
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I have added the item to the classified section under Misc Sales. The above link is the same speaker but in the newer cosmetic design. These where both run off a amp and sounded really good, and still do.

If I can I might even try to mount the 6by9s on the rear shelf, anyone tried this??

pitslayer
02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
6x9s dont work next to subs. they interefer with each others air space....how much are you looking for the fronts? ball park?

n13l pm
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Im sealing off the area behind the rear speakers so that the bass from the subs doesnt effect the speakers. But i was thinking about some how mounting 6by9s there rather then the 17cm speakers.

As for the infinity speakers I was hoping for sumthing like £20 plus postage or pick up..

pitslayer
03-02-2007, 04:20 AM
if funds allow i might have them off you, im thinking on a big boot build.....i think lol

tesna
28-02-2007, 06:44 PM
n13l pm, I think don't use 6x9" in the rears. I heard they not too good in terms of SQ. My opinion just use normal coax or splits at the back, and add subwoofer(s)

n13l pm
01-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah im not going for 6by9s no more. Have a look at the system iv built (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21573).

ralliart-type-s
02-03-2007, 12:52 AM
/Hissy Here's 1 4ya, how the fook do u get a power cable through the leggie bulkhead w/out having to dismantle all th gubbins behind the glove box?? The darn things got my life.

pitslayer
02-03-2007, 07:28 AM
theres a hole on the drivers side, you can go through happily i found on my galant.....if you look on the drivers side, of the bulkhead, you will see, the accel/clutch cable comeing out into the engine bay....its just a hole basically but looks like its cut off by black stuff, you can fit a cable through there, which comes out above the brake pedal. you should find it easy, if i remember its the only one on the right hand side that comes out of the bulkhead......you can then run it down the center of the car, all tidy behind the center console

ralliart-type-s
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
/GJ Cheers slayer, will have a look 2moro, after de cat and b/box done.

HMG1K
28-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Will these Kenwood top end tweaters replace the standard ones found in the Galant..? I want to keep the existing casing covers in the corner of the doors, so hoping these will pop straight in.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/speakers/component/KFC-HQT15ie/

n13l pm
28-12-2007, 04:20 PM
They would be fine to replace the stock ones.

Once you remove the door card you will see the cover for the tweeters still in place, remove these, its just a matter of a few clips. Once removed you will see the tweeter mounted on a bracket, you will need this bracket to mount your new tweeters so you will have to remove it. There are three bolts keeping it in place, I think these are the mirror plate ones so careful. After you remove the bracket you will need to take the tweeter off, if I believe correctly, there is a screw on the back of the bracket which screws in to the tweeter aswell as glue. After that just glue your new tweeter to the bracket and remount. Use a strong epoxy glue or something, because glue gun wont do the job.

I had one small problem when I did mine, the aftermarket tweeters are slightly bigger in size because of the moulding around the tweeter and therefore the covers wouldnt go directly back on, I had to slightly reshape the bracket.

Hope this helps.

HMG1K
28-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Sounds perfect - thank you n131pm! :2thumbsup

I was worried that I'd buy them and the wouldn;t fit - I'll keep your advice in mind when fitting them - in the meantime of off to order them online!

HMG1K
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
/help My rear parcel shelf speaker instalation has come to a halt!

I've bought these Pioneer TS-E1696 17 inch 3-ways, but because of their exact round shape the holes don't match up to the existing factory drilled holes on the parcel shelf of my saloon.

The factory fit speakers have a metal frame / spacer around the speaker to make the holes match up... and searching the net I can't find anything similar to use on the Pioneers.

Below is a photo of the new Pioneer speaker - and the thin foam spacer to illustrate what I'm after to make these fit.

How have you folk got around this problem..? And will I have it again when I come to install the same Pioneers in the front doors..?

Thank you in advance

psbarham
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
/help My rear parcel shelf speaker instalation has come to a halt!

I've bought these Pioneer TS-E1696 17 inch 3-ways, but because of their exact round shape the holes don't match up to the existing factory drilled holes on the parcel shelf of my saloon.

The factory fit speakers have a metal frame / spacer around the speaker to make the holes match up... and searching the net I can't find anything similar to use on the Pioneers.

Below is a photo of the new Pioneer speaker - and the thin foam spacer to illustrate what I'm after to make these fit.

How have you folk got around this problem..? And will I have it again when I come to install the same Pioneers in the front doors..?

Thank you in advance

17 inch :speechles no wonder they don't fit
my 17 cm kenwoods just dropped straight in, but it was a while ago so i can't remeber how tricky it was

HMG1K
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
17 inch :speechles no wonder they don't fit
my 17 cm kenwoods just dropped straight in, but it was a while ago so i can't remeber how tricky it was

Opps! 17cm! Well spotted!

The thin foam spacer in the photo is the size I need to fit around the Pioneers as they are perfectly round speakers!

n13l pm
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I made baffles out of 6mm mdf. You cant make it any thicker then 6mm otherwise the grill on parcel shelf doesnt sit flush. When you make them condersider where the screws go for the grill aswell.

Nick Mann
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't have a saloon, so the rear problem is not one I have... :P

But I can tell you that the fronts will fit fine.

HMG1K
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks Nick and n131pm! Really appreaciate your feedback. :iloveyou:

Spotted these on eBay in the States and the hole in the middle is 5.5" which is what the new / old speakers are so will give it a punt for the rear (I'm being lazy with avoiding the jigsaw outside in this cold weather /Handbag)... And will go for the direct fit in front as soon as my tweeters arrive this week!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-Front-Speaker-Adapters-For-89-05-Mitsubishi-Eclipse_W0QQitemZ330110896603QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60 208QQcmdZViewItem

Fully
02-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I made baffles out of 6mm mdf. You cant make it any thicker then 6mm otherwise the grill on parcel shelf doesnt sit flush. When you make them condersider where the screws go for the grill aswell.

I mounted my 6*9's underneath the parcel tray speaker holes.

HMG1K
03-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks all for the advice on the spacers...

I've a new Grrrr !!! Got my 19mm Kenwood tweeters today in the post - open them up and the surround makes the size up to 37mm! Tried taking the surround off and I'm left with just a magnet.

So, my question is what tweeters did you upgrade your standard fit ones in your front door pods...?

Thanks again in advance

Nick Mann
03-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Errr..... Left with just a magnet? That means you've broken them?

HMG1K
03-01-2008, 10:19 PM
The contacts are soldered onto the inside of the metal surround - the magnet just pops out!

Nick Mann
03-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Eh? But the voice coil should fit into a groove in the magnet? Or has speaker manufacture changed since I was a lad?

HMG1K
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
What it seems to be is a metal cased surround that can be mounted flush fit... on the other side is the tweeter built in to the metal surround, wires soldered to this, and the magnet is held in place my plastic clips and black tough tack - like blue tack. So just the magnet popped out the back

steve the pirate
03-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I have gone for JL audio components in front and coax in rear doors.the shop I used said that not to use speakers on rear shelf with a sub in boot cos the air moved by the sub will push against the smaller speakers and could rip the cones apart.I replaced all doors even though not many people in the back yet.£330 in front,£250 in rear doors.I have a JL w1v2 12 " sub in a std sub box with a perfect match a1200 amp.despite the low power rating of 120w amp and 150w sub it really kicks when the right music is played.I listen to all sorts from abba to 60s,70,80 to rock,metal,gothic.I am still running in but I am very happy.

HMG1K
03-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Cheers Steve... Do you know what components / tweeter model number you have in the front? I'm guessing your tweeters are in the existing housing on the corner of the door in the pods?

n13l pm
03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
What it seems to be is a metal cased surround that can be mounted flush fit... on the other side is the tweeter built in to the metal surround, wires soldered to this, and the magnet is held in place my plastic clips and black tough tack - like blue tack. So just the magnet popped out the back

Im have problems trying to understand this.. The magnet popped out of the back! Can you take some photos mate to clear things up.

HMG1K
06-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Here are photos of the tweeters and the magnet...

HMG1K
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
They would be fine to replace the stock ones.

Once you remove the door card you will see the cover for the tweeters still in place, remove these, its just a matter of a few clips. Once removed you will see the tweeter mounted on a bracket, you will need this bracket to mount your new tweeters so you will have to remove it. There are three bolts keeping it in place, I think these are the mirror plate ones so careful. After you remove the bracket you will need to take the tweeter off, if I believe correctly, there is a screw on the back of the bracket which screws in to the tweeter aswell as glue. After that just glue your new tweeter to the bracket and remount. Use a strong epoxy glue or something, because glue gun wont do the job.

I had one small problem when I did mine, the aftermarket tweeters are slightly bigger in size because of the moulding around the tweeter and therefore the covers wouldnt go directly back on, I had to slightly reshape the bracket.

Hope this helps.

This is invaluable advice and tip! I took the door card off yesterday - all the above made sense - and now can see how to replace them!

The good news is the Kenwood tweeters I got will fit into the car's tweeter cover, even with the Kenwood surround!

Thank you! :iloveyou:

Nick Mann
06-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Does the "broke" one still work? Even with pictures I don't understand the design of it!!

HMG1K
06-01-2008, 06:53 PM
That one in the photos still works... I know, it is confusing!

The housing in the first picture (the tweeter from the front) is black metal - on the reverse is where the wires are soldered onto in the small groove that runs around the inside (photo 2) between the inner and outer ring... Photos 1, 2 and 3 show the tweeter and magnet in various postions - this is then 'stuck' with black-tac around the edges and bonds with the inner ring of the mounting unit in photo 2 - the black 'eye' of the tweeter then rests on the silver 'eye' in the unit.

n13l pm
06-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Good news they fit mate, glad the advice help.

Im with Nick on the tweeters, I dont understand the design.. :idea2:

HMG1K
14-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Just updating this thread for the benefit of future 'searches' /secret

I've recieved the 1/4" plastic speaker spacers I bought off a guy in America off eBay and they are a perfect fit! :evilgrin:

They'll work on the rear parcel shelf of a saloon (not sure what the rear door of an estate is like) and also the front doors of a saloon & estate. (The auctions are for Lancers and FTOs etc - but it is the same fitmet as ours).

Image and link is below - I can now drop my 17cm Pioneers straight into the adapters and the holes match up to the bodywork, and the speakers to the mounting holes on the spacers. :scholar:

I know a lot of you have got around this in different ways, but I was being lazy about it and took the easy way out! /Handbag

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-Front-Speaker-Adapters-For-89-05-Mitsubishi-Eclipse_W0QQitemZ330110896603QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60 208QQcmdZViewItem

n13l pm
14-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Glad they fit mate :2thumbsup. That link saves a lot of time and effort for anyone looking to upgrade their rear speakers.

CANDEE
15-01-2008, 07:41 AM
If they fit the front of the saloon's etc they should fit the rear of the estates fine as they are identical - ie i have my rear ones in the front of my leggie atm :scholar:

d i c k i e s
15-01-2008, 10:44 AM
lol... im sure my back ones have finally popped!

CANDEE
16-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Just fade it to the front Whenz.. :P Who needs rears :P

HMG1K
16-01-2008, 07:41 PM
And here is the final photo - one of my new Pioneer TS-E 1796's fitted on the rear parcel shelf complete with the speaker size adapter I got from America...

Moments later the car's speaker grills were screwed back into place...

Next up are the fronts - when I get time!

n13l pm
16-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice mate. Dunno if you want to but when I did mine I lamped a bit of deadening material between the baffle and the shelf and some between the speaker and the baffle, in case of any rattling.

HMG1K
16-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice mate. Dunno if you want to but when I did mine I lamped a bit of deadening material between the baffle and the shelf and some between the speaker and the baffle, in case of any rattling.

Thanks mate! Did just that!

On top of the car's metal parcel self I stuck Dynamat (it's the brown with a bit of blue writing to the top of the speaker)... Then I put the ultra thin foam surround from the factory fit speakers on top of that for the new speaker adapter to sit on (it's what the factory fit speaker sat on originally)... Finally the gap between the new speaker adapters and the speaker itself was filled with a foam spacer cushion that came with the Pioneers!

n13l pm
16-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks mate! Did just that!

On top of the car's metal parcel self I stuck Dynamat (it's the brown with a bit of blue writing to the top of the speaker)... Then I put the ultra thin foam surround from the factory fit speakers on top of that for the new speaker adapter to sit on (it's what the factory fit speaker sat on originally)... Finally the gap between the new speaker adapters and the speaker itself was filled with a foam spacer cushion that came with the Pioneers!

:thumbsup: nice one nice one.

HMG1K
19-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Update #7,487 from me on this now...!

I've just re-attached the rear speakers and wanted to let everyone know that there is a speaker adapter lead for the Galant / Legnum to convert from the original loom to the individual cables if you install aftermarket speakers. :scholar:

It is from AutoLeads - part number PC2-802.

They're only ment to fit Fords, Nissans and Suzukis, but they DO fit our cars.

They cost £4.99 for a pair (so to do the complete rear or complete front. Image below so you know what I mean!)

I intent to upgrade the speaker cable on all four speakers to lovely thick wire and run it back to the amp, when I get time to do it. (I'm snatching time here and there to do bits at a time on the install before the real time consuming stuff like the amp takes over.

The new Pioneers sound fab - even with the bell wire! :happy:

Nice But
29-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Excellent information all..... thanks.

Just a quick question though, anyone know the speaker size in the rear doors of a Leggy (97) only sounds like one of mine has popped and with the new headunit it will drive me nuts.....

HMG1K
29-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Just a quick question though, anyone know the speaker size in the rear doors of a Leggy (97) only sounds like one of mine has popped and with the new headunit it will drive me nuts.....

Could well be 17cms - anyone...? I've got a saloon...

Just to say Nice But, the speaker spacer adapters also work on the front doors! Did mine the other weekend!

Nice But
29-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Cheers HM. Getting the head unit in a couple of weeks and then the speakers...... Oh what fun I'll have.

HMG1K
29-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Cheers HM. Getting the head unit in a couple of weeks and then the speakers...... Oh what fun I'll have.

Oh you will! you will have loads of fun - in a good way! Best bit of the audio is choiosing what you want!

Nick Mann
29-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Could well be 17cms - anyone...? I've got a saloon...

Just to say Nice But, the speaker spacer adapters also work on the front doors! Did mine the other weekend!

:thumbsup:

Same as the fronts.

CANDEE
29-01-2008, 09:46 PM

They are the same all around in the leggie :P

elnevio
12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Rather than start a new thread (unless this gets no responses!), I thought I'd post here...

I have changed my head unit, and come to the conclusion that all four of my Leggie's door speakers are knacked. I think the Japanese owner may have overcooked them all with some enthusiastic volume adjustment.

So, I have been looking around, and I think Nick M said that he just dropped some 6.5" Infinitys straight in. Which I assume are something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INFINITY-KAPPA-62-7i-225watt-6-1-2-CAR-speakers-6-5_W0QQitemZ110239831209QQihZ001QQcategoryZ18800QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I doubt the tweeters are ruined (could be wrong) but I'm not interested in souping up the audio any more than this so I won't be changing them (unless I am wrong as per earlier in this sentence...).

So, are these the ones to go for? I'm thinking that four for £100 inc delivery is not a bad shout at all. Comments, sarky or otherwise, are invited!

pitslayer
12-04-2008, 01:48 PM
infinity kappas are good speakers, for that price i would take them. ive got a guide that can help you,but i think some of the pics have been removed so will have to sort them out, if you get stuck just ask me....
and the door panels are a complete **** to get back on

psbarham
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
and the door panels are a complete **** to get back on

no they arn't, i've never had a problem getting them off or on

elnevio
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I've already looked at the your article Kyle - will prove useful. I guess the door card issues may well vary from vehicle to vehicle. I usually take things fairly steady anyway, so hopefully won't break too many clips!

My rattly speakers are really irritating and I must replace them soon.

Just a thought, the speakers sound bad with both the old and new head units, so I have assumed it is the speakers that are blown, and with a combination of fader / balance, I've checked them one by one, and they all sound bad. I'll hopefully be certain when the door cards come off.

Is there another problem that could be the cause of this? I can't think of anything. It's just that all four are pretty much equally crap. The standard speakers in the Galant sound fine, with no rattles at all. With the Leggie, the rattles happen on the bass at almost any sound level.

Anyway, I've rattled (pun intended /pan) on enough. All help greatly appreciated.

Beastlee
12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I found the surrounds on mine had all crumbled away and just left the cone flapping around.

elnevio
12-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I found the surrounds on mine had all crumbled away and just left the cone flapping around.
The thought crossed my mind - but now you've said it (and I now think you said it earlier in the thread too! /pan for me) I think this would explain why they rattle at all volumes.

HMG1K
12-04-2008, 10:36 PM
If you fancy changing the front tweeters - then this is a worthwhile upgrade IMO... I got the Kenwood HQ tweeters and they were a noticeable improvement over the OEM ones fitted.