PDA

View Full Version : ADSL (Broadband)

ANTHONY
26-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Here are some of the things that will or maybe stop you getting Broadband.

Alarm Wiring...this is multi stranded. telephone wire is solid copper. with the alarm wire the data packets get confused.

Star wiring. this is the old way BT used to run extns with BB all the extn need to run off of the main NTE socket.

Over filtering. some people plug a filter into the socket then plug an extn in to this and put a filter on the other end.

Sky box's. some sky box's may work ok but there could be a fault with it so unplug it from the telephone line and see if this helps.

Noise on the line. this is a big no no tell BT and get the line sorted. the thing is when they test the line it will test ok as the test systems will not pick up noise.

Outside flood lights lights. try swiching them off to see if this makes any differance.

Leads. check out the lead from the phone line to the moden/router as this may look ok, but can get damaged and break down inside

Kieran
26-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes... Line noise has been an issue here - and it's difficult to convince BT as the Ringback test always works! We eventually got our cable replaced from the entry point in the house to the telephone pole - and that's sorted it.

you can test line noise by dialling the following:

And choose 2 for quiet line test.

Any hiss, pop or crackle should be investigated.

Also, a lot of DSL routers have a status page and quite often this will show Line noise or Signal attenuation in Dba. Our unit shows it as a 'Margin' of signal to noise... The greater the number, the better the signal to noise ratio - which means more reliable DSL.

ANTHONY
26-01-2007, 11:59 PM
The greater the number, the better the signal to noise ratio - which means more reliable DSL.exept on ADSL MAX where SNR is lower

Kieran
27-01-2007, 12:32 AM
exept on ADSL MAX where SNR is lower

Bah, don't go there, mutter mutter /TTTH

Polabear
27-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Constant problems with mine.....SNR margin 15.0 but according to BT my problem is position and contention ratio....Bah...SH!TE.....get it sorted is what I say..but I might as well talk to meslef..../Grrr

Polabear
27-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Constant problems with mine.....SNR margin 15.0 but according to BT my problem is position and contention ratio....Bah...SH!TE.....get it sorted is what I say..but I might as well talk to meslef..../Grrr