PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Accelerator

colVR4
25-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Nooo, I'm not talking about it getting stuck on the floor after my foot has been planted on it for a while... :D

When I start the car first thing in the morning and set off, the accelerator pedal sticks and requires a hefty initial push before it moves. After that its fine, but I was wondering if there was a problem!!

Is this something that anybody else has experienced in the past? :Ponder:

Any help would be appreciated

zedy1
25-11-2003, 10:32 AM
havent experiaced this sort of problem, but you could try wd-40 on the throttle body.

ritch_w
25-11-2003, 01:47 PM
you could also take the cable off and try getting some wd40 down that as well

Nick VR4
25-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Sounds like its catching on something
Best bet would be to get some in the driving seat
And you checking the cableing etc

colVR4
25-11-2003, 02:03 PM
it definately feels like it is catching on something. It does it everytime that I let the car rest for longer than an hour or so. Whilst I am driving there is no problem whatsoever.

BraindG
25-11-2003, 04:44 PM
sounds like it only does it when its cold?
definitely check the throttle body.. thats the only part that touches anything thats hot/warm

Nick Mann
25-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Almost certainly not it, but a few years ago I experienced a similar thing on my parents montego. INSERT INTO post VALUES (lovingly referred to as the monty-no-go!) The problem was a broken earth strap to the bodywork, which meant all the current was returning to the battery via the engine. This meant that things like the accelerator cable were getting warmish, esp. with lots of lights/windscreen wipers etc. As the cable cooled, the plastic surround at the end of the cable welded to the inner cable, so you had to push harder to move the pedal. Once released, you didn't have a problem until the cable got warm and then cooled again!

Probably not helpful, but a good insight into the build quality of the old monty!

colVR4
26-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Ta for all the help.

The problem has now developed when I am driving as well so it doesn't seem to be a hot/cold issue. It feels like it is catching on something at the end of its travel i.e. when the accelerator is fully up. I have had a look at the throttle body and I can't see anything that would cause this.

My car has done 73,000 so it may just be a worn cable. I am going to check the pedal again today to see if that is the problem.

bonsai boy
26-11-2003, 11:36 PM
my car has a funney pedal to
when the wife drives it seems to be ok.
but when i drive it it seems ok till the engine gets warm
then the pedel becomes very heavy and keeps going flat to
the floor. :D

colVR4
27-11-2003, 09:20 AM
lol :biglaugh:

Seems to be a common 'fault' on these cars :thumb:

zedy1