PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

Big G
28-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Folks,

I put my 2.5 V6 Auto in to a main dealership for a new timing belt and spark plugs to be fitted and when I picked it up the cruise control was misbehaving. When you introduce cruise it slows down and drops a gear and keeps it slow. It has never done this before.

When I returned to the dealer, the guy who had worked on it said that he had not interfered with the cruise and spent some time investigating. They used the Mitsubishi dealers forum to get some info which was not forthcoming and the latest advice is to get the workshop handbook and work through it.

Have any of you guys any advice on what might have gone wrong? It seems to have everyone stumped. Even if it were unrelated to the work, there still doesn't seem to be any solution from the dealership and I hate having something not work when it is supposed to.

Any advice at all would be most appreciated.

Big G

psbarham
28-01-2007, 05:45 PM
it sounds like they have disturbed one of the vacuum pipes on the throttle control unit (black box thingy on the drivers side of the bulkhead ) have a look and if there is enough hose it may be worth chopping an inch off the end

Kieran
28-01-2007, 10:24 PM
As PSB says, and if I remember correctly, there are two throttle linkages/cables - one connected to the accelerator, one to the cruise control module - If they've had the inlet manifold off to change the plugs, they might not have put it all back together correctly.

Nice to see your dealer owning the problem they've caused and not leaving you out in the cold(!!!) /grr /pan

psbarham
28-01-2007, 10:28 PM
the throttle is actuated by vacuum (diaphragm on the throttle body ) so i would say either the hoses are on back to front or a split or a kink in them somewhere

Kieran
28-01-2007, 10:29 PM
the throttle is actuated by vacuum (diaphragm on the throttle body ) so i would say either the hoses are on back to front or a split or a kink in them somewhere

Oh is it? Oh! I'm sure my GLS had something like an extra throttle cable... Ming you, I could be thinking of my Honda....:thinking:

psbarham
28-01-2007, 10:35 PM
the diaphragm sits on top of the throttle body and pulls on the side of the quadrant that the cable runs on , the doodah (cor i love technical talk) on the bulkhead controls how much vacuum gets in to open the throttle , if thats not it then its all witch craft

andy43
29-01-2007, 09:23 PM
It's not witchcraft, it's a ickle mouse with big shoes that does the cruise control.
Maybe he run out of cheese?

psbarham
29-01-2007, 09:58 PM
It's not witchcraft, it's a ickle mouse with big shoes that does the cruise control.
Maybe he run out of cheese?
aah so that explains the squeak from under the bonnet , i thought it was the power steering belt again . you live and learn :inquisiti