PDA

View Full Version : I checked

mpau009
29-01-2007, 08:05 AM
..and New Zealand is still the most beautiful place on the globe:2thumbsup

Cant argue with a week of sailing, drinking and racing on a 50 foot full carbon racer in the Bay of Islands. Couldn't take many pics other than on the delivery and return to Auckland, but it has to have been one of the best times of my life.

On the way back on Saturday, under motor and sail running down the whangaparaoa peninsula at 1am, a pod of dolphins joined us, glowing green in the algae and moonlight, was the most spell binding thing ever.. unfortunately the photos didn't come out any good..

Honestly go down to the marina, talk to some people and get on a boat for the Bay Week regatta next year.

GroundControl
29-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Very nice :2thumbsup

Its been far too long since I've been sailing, although Jude's folks have a launch that we go out on every now and again

mpau009
29-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Very nice :2thumbsup

Its been far too long since I've been sailing, although Jude's folks have a launch that we go out on every now and again

Me too, i used to sail dinghys for 10 years, but hadnt done much for about 3 years, then got a call out of the blue from an old mate whos got a job taking tourists on the old americas cup boats, and was running the crew for that IOR 50, then i started doing the wednesday night racing in october so i'm a real newbie.

Theres always demand for crew that are willing to show up consistently, i think theres a website around somewhere.:thinking:

BraindG
29-01-2007, 10:36 AM
..and New Zealand is still the most beautiful place on the globe:2thumbsup
Couldn't agree more, i cannot wait to go back. It felt like home, and by that i mean north west scotland, apart from the weather obviously :)

mpau009
06-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Glad our yacht wasnt out for the round the north island, most of the other A-Division yachts from the Bay regatta were out, and v5 hit something in the early morning.
From the sounds of it they broke the fore pivot on their canting keel, it would have been a bit of a fright in the middle of the night, and the amount of force those things are designed to take makes you wonder what it could have been..

Good on Wired for abandoning their race efforts to assist

http://tvnz.co.nz/cda/tvnz/video_popup_windows_skin/979289?bandwidth=128k