PDA

View Full Version : I REALLY hate this /starts moan

BraindG
25-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Right, im going to talk about something that really pisses me off, i really don't know why it does, yet it does!.. and im going to tell you about it, and see if anyone else is of the same opinion

Right, doors.. and in particular people holding doors open for you..
all doors have a swing rate, some have a self closing thingy me bob, other don't and close by gravity them selves..

The Facts
firstly lets talk about the ones with out the self closing hinge thingy.

these doors don't close quickly and you can judge how quickly they close, normally on first contact.
so you open the door to walk through and its pretty light, this means that it will take a "fair" amount of time to close by itself. especially if you give it a further nudge as you walk through.. i.e. further than you opened it by hand.

secondly the doors with the self closing doors.

These differ in strength quite considerably, take the ones at shops for example, more specifically the doors in and out of the Trafford centre here in Manchester.. They are really heavy, and actually take a bit of muscle to open, and hold open.. these we shall leave out of the moan, as they speak for them selves..

ok, back to the self closing indoor doors.. as with the gravity doors the self closing doors will close them selves, however slightly faster than their counterparts.. yet you are still able to judge roughly how long they will take to close, by the force applied to your arm as you open it.

The "Past 90 degree" factor, now.. if you push a door past 90 degrees it takes longer to close, cos it needs to get the end of its swing, then it slows, and starts closing again.. depending on how hard you push it depends on how long it takes to come to a stop and start closing.

now you have the "facts" let me moan a bit

The Moan

Ill give you a couple situations:
1: you are walking about 4 paces behind someone, you come up to a door and all they have to do is look over their shoulder and they see you are really close, all that is required from their behalf is a slight delay in letting go of the door. In most cases they don't even have to do that.. as long as the door is at 90 degrees, it wont close quick enough to slam into my face..

2: you are walking 10 paces behind someone, same door. INSERT INTO post VALUES (closing mechanism or not they can all be judged at first touch) all that is required is a slight push of the door to take the door over the critical 90 degree mark. THAT'S all that is required, the door will slow to its stopping point, and then start closing.. yet people still insist in standing there like Muppets waiting for you to arrive at the bloody door.. WHY!? don't you understand the laws of physics.. how old are you? how many doors have you walked through!? and you still have no idea of how they function?!!? CHRIST!

3: you are around 15-20 paces behind.. and they wait for you to arrive.. now you have made two major mistakes..
one.. you have made the person who was 15-20 paces behind you quicken his step, perhaps taken a couple hops to get to the door quicker than was required..
two.. you are a Muppet, you have stood there for at least 4-5 seconds waiting for someone you don't know.. I HATE YOU!
three.. and most importantly we can all open doors we know how they work!.. just walk through to bloody thing, if someone is to far back to use situation 1 then don't open the door as much let it close before they get there.. don't do the past 90 degree thing cos the door will be on a faster speed to its closing position, and hence will give the guy 15-20 paces behind a harder thud on his hand..

ok... crap, im at work and ive just spent about 30 minutes writing this. but it happened twice on my way to having a fag, and it pisses me off!!.,.. aaarrgghg!!!..

/ends moan

colVR4
25-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Cue Victor Meldrew/

I DON'T BELIEEEEVVVE IT :grr:

enigma
25-11-2003, 12:59 PM
You could always give up smoking and then you wouldn't need to use the doors so often! :D

zedy1
25-11-2003, 01:06 PM
:lolz:

BraindG
25-11-2003, 01:10 PM
it just really winds me up!.. more so than alot of things i know of..
and stopping smoking is no option at this time.. perhaps i should take all the doors of the hinges?

ReggieK
25-11-2003, 01:28 PM
OMG! Someone is having a really bad day. ;)

You could always try shooting them, :gun1: however that has it's downsides too. They'd probably fall and block the door completely p*ssing you off even more. But at least they wouldn't do it again. :beerclash :D :D

colVR4
25-11-2003, 01:57 PM
/run counter-rant :yakyak:

I am usually the schmuck holding the door open for people :rolleyes:

However, I usually do have a quick check of how far away they are before I do so and don't bother if they more than a couple of paces behind me. Its usually for the laydees :D that I do this and I don't normally bother for the blokes unless the door is going to slam them in the face.

Don't you think that it is nice that some people still have the common curtosy to do this? Most jobbish youths these days wouldn't even think twice about holding a door open for somebody :mad:

BraindG
25-11-2003, 02:38 PM
couldnt agree more.. however there is a fine line between waiting and not waiting..
and the door can look after itself in the respect it will stay open for the desired amount depending on the amount it has been pushed past the 90 degree mark.. i.e. push it that bit more, and it will stay open for about 2-3 paces..

its jsut anoying that you have to quicken your step, and that they stop, and wait for you to arrive.. when they dont have to.. they really dont have to wait..

you can time it all perfectly to either allow the door to swing just inside the 90 degree mark as they walk through to door.. allowing them to catch the door easily.. if they are to far back you dont push the door atall.. just allow it to slowly close..

but if shes really nice.. then well thats a different kettle of fish :D

enigma
25-11-2003, 03:18 PM
I think you need to back this arguement up with mathematical formulae :D

BraindG
25-11-2003, 03:45 PM
its strange you should say that dave,..

was thinking that actually!

but my maths sucks!

Nick VR4
25-11-2003, 04:07 PM
I know what you mean Barry
I do hold doors for people if there a few paces back
But what get right on my tits is people who don't even say thanks :mad:

My last employer made a rule that you had to swipe in and out and no one was allowed to hold doors open
That was great letting the door go :D
They then spent a shed load of £££ getting electric doors fitted
Just klike the ones on Star Trek pssssst ping :D
As we had 8 units in a quadrangle thing it was expensive
If you didn't swipe out and went out the system wouldn't let you back in :rolleyes:

BraindG
25-11-2003, 04:26 PM
basically its the whole awkwardness of it all.. one person has to stop, other has to speed up.. when infact there is no reason atall to do so... unless the door is super springy or heavy.. or shes a looker

Spirit
25-11-2003, 07:38 PM
They're all valid points made - like others have said I will always wait for a lady INSERT INTO post VALUES (even if she ain't a looker) just out of courtesy - but I HATE the ones who don't say thanks too ! Ignorant b***ards !

Nick Mann
25-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm wondering if this rant would have started if the awkward door encounters had happened on the way BACK from having a fag!? ;)

SGHOM
25-11-2003, 08:09 PM
DOORS !! WTF :nono: :nono: how on earth can you get stressed over doors ?? who gives a f**k who's behind you !! thats their problem, not mine. the day this world makes it compulsary to hold a door open to all & sundry, will be the day I "might" give a toss about the person behind me. until then...... f**k em !!

KiwiTT
25-11-2003, 08:26 PM
I am a bit sexist..:nono:

If its a woman, I will hold the door open regardless of how far she is. If its a man, he can handle the door.

Brind
26-11-2003, 12:26 AM
I agree with Derek. :D

My broadband connection is down for some weird reason and I'm reading about holding doors open for people on dial-up!!! :io: :D

I can be the Gentleman at times but depending on mood I may just swing the door hard so who ever maybe behind will catch it.
Could be a French and just barge your way through without giving a toss about anyone else... that is the height of rudeness as well as those you don't say thanks, purely the reason why many a time I won't really bother about the door is because nearly everyone is ignorant nowadays and don't care about anyone else.
I don't believe in any religion so no one apart from my family is a brother or sister to me, so arsholes to everyone else. :D

BraindG
28-06-2011, 03:02 PM
/Facepalm

Yesterday, i had not 2, not 3 but 4 #3 related issues!! STOP IT!

Ah, thats better....

Nutter_John
28-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Excuse me Mr Barry but this really is a thread from the dead :P

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Still relevant though......./yes

chris g
28-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Do you want to talk in a quiet room about these doors and the people that pass through them...?

Humpty's Revenge
28-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Some humans are just pig ignorant.:evilgrin:

WOODY72
28-06-2011, 03:20 PM
If this government leaves the door open for all and sundry, dont expect us to! But that's another arguement!

Wobble
28-06-2011, 04:22 PM
you would have thought now 8 years have passed that they would have invented doors that open and close without the need of human interaction .

oh hang on a minute maybe they did

TAR
28-06-2011, 10:46 PM
opening or holding a door for someone is plain old fashioned courtesy, why does this annoy you?

:happy:

horndog
28-06-2011, 11:01 PM
:smoking: and relax,

Just glare at them and twitch when you walk through the door, they might keep an eye out for you and avoid you in future,
By process of elimination less and less people will try and be helpfull to you :p

BEG4ME
22-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Ryan
22-07-2011, 09:37 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmwvx0hhnB1qctkcl.gif

Hahahaha, totally!

BraindG
22-07-2011, 01:11 PM
indeed!