PDA

View Full Version : Autobox auto dropping

stuartturbo
29-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Is there a way of preventing the auto dropping into first as sometimes it seems to do it when its not needed. Mainly when trundling round town drops into first when 2nd would do still
I would prefer to have the choice

bradc
30-01-2007, 07:26 AM
I haven't been able to figure a way around that, but I would love to find a way too if anyone knows :)

Subaru ETA
30-01-2007, 09:01 AM
poss adjust the trans pressures?? dont ask me how to do it on the mitsis coz im a ford/mazda mechanic!

Kieran
30-01-2007, 09:51 AM
You can adjust the line pressures, I think it's mentioned in the workshop manuals, but I wouldn't recommend it - moving it out of spec to delay the 2>1 change would not be good!

I guess you could reset the ECU and then drive to deliberately keep it in 2nd, maybe using tip to override during the learning process?

Not sure how far you'll get though - it's just how the shift patterns have been mapped. My GLS (UK spec) had the same 'box albeit 4-speed, and the shift patterns on that were much more laid back.... It didn't change down unless it really neeeded to. In comparrison, the VR-4 'box seems much more eager.

Subaru ETA
30-01-2007, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Kieran]You can adjust the line pressures, I think it's mentioned in the workshop manuals, but I wouldn't recommend it - moving it out of spec to delay the 2>1 change would not be good!
QUOTE]

sorry, not suggesting adjusting them out of spec. just wondering because the line pressures have prob never been checked they may be out of spec. when i did a trans service on the mrs mazda familia i checked the line pressure and it was out of spec by like 6 - 8 psi. i adjusted it back into spec and the thing is 100% better! kick down is smooth and it logically changes gear.

just a thought...

Kieran
30-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh I see, I'm with you! Yeah, might be an idea.

colVR4
30-01-2007, 12:03 PM
That does sound strange to me. My VR4 auto box rarely drops below 3rd unless I actually stop. So much so that I have to use the tip to drop it to 2nd when pulling away or give a quick dab of the throttle to get the box to drop down.

wrdmotorsport
30-01-2007, 01:09 PM
driving in tip holds 2nd longer, i like it staying in 2nd as long as pos

mattpage
30-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I've noticed this as well. In slow moving traffic its constantly switching between 1st and 2nd. Maybe I'll reset the ECU see if it helps, or drive in tip more often.. but I keep forgetting to shift down when I do .

stuartturbo
30-01-2007, 01:38 PM
driving in tip holds 2nd longer, i like it staying in 2nd as long as pos
that is how i drive dont use the auto side unless i ocupied.
I just seem to be idleing along in second and it drops into first with out me noticing sometimes then as i pull away again bang it's in first/Grrr

bradc
30-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I have the same thing as Stuart, if I'm driving in stop start traffic below about 20kmh then I will put it into auto mode just to stop it ignoring me and jumping down into first all the time.

rayray24
31-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Get A Manual Lol!!!!! Then you can stay in whatever gear you want.:afro:

bradc
31-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I've got both :)