PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay colour?

Dan_G
30-01-2007, 01:54 PM
My car is Meister Blue... which is metallic but the engine bay is a solid dark blue...

Question is does anyone know what colour this is or is likley to be? should just be a mitsubishi colour from the same year?

I just need to touch up some bits of surface rust in the engine bay.

any advice gratfully recieved.

Dan

Wouter
30-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I have the same colour car..... and my engine bay is also non metalic

WildCards
30-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Isn't it Meister Blue without the metallic finish added to the paint. My Hamilton Silver Legnum was the same, metallic outside, flat non metallic bay area.

Kieran
30-01-2007, 07:32 PM
It's the way the Japs paint them - Not just the Japs either, my dad's Kias have all been flat finish on the 'internal' metal.

Gly
30-01-2007, 07:41 PM
yep what they said,
mines a flat green in the engine bay aswell...

just a cost cutting exercise by the japs

Brushly
30-01-2007, 08:19 PM
A paint facters should be able to mix some from a patern.There isn't usually a code for these ground coats .The inside of the filler cap cover might make a good pattern.

Dan_G
30-01-2007, 09:03 PM
The inside of the filler cap cover might make a good pattern.

good idea.... maybe my local paint people can help..

Dan

stuartturbo
30-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I used a local paint supplier for mine as the white i got did not seem right £10 for 0.5lt plus £5 to put 100ml in a spray can. So 0.4ltrs left for next time seems cheap to me.
Speak to body shops and see who they use for matching

Kenneth
30-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Isn't most of the paint at least 2 stage? ie: you need 2 different colours to get the correct effect. The guys at the panel and paint place told me my white Legnum was a 3 stage pearl.

If this is the case, wouldn't the engine bay (and all non-visible surfaces) just be the base colour?

Throbbe
31-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Isn't most of the paint at least 2 stage? ie: you need 2 different colours to get the correct effect. The guys at the panel and paint place told me my white Legnum was a 3 stage pearl.

If this is the case, wouldn't the engine bay (and all non-visible surfaces) just be the base colour?

Sounds about right to me. I know that when detailers check paint thickness before polishing they usually check under the bonnet to get an idea of how thick the clearcoat on the rest of the body is.

Brushly
31-01-2007, 06:26 PM
The paint you see under the bonnet is a ground coat, which will be a similar colour to the metallic base coat. Very often metallic base coats are translucent and having a coloured ground coat helps with the coverage. The ground coat is obviously cheaper to produce and it means that the manufacturer can use less of the metallic colour. Then they lacquer the outside surfaces of the car. The ground coat under the bonnet doesn't even get lacquered.