PDA

View Full Version : Overheating front disc & vibration

peter thomson
31-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi i am having a problem with occasional overheating front passenger disc and a horrible vibration.
At the start of the year I had to replace the pads due to the drivers side being worn almost to the metal. one of the pistons on the drivers side where the pads had worn down was very difficult to push back but is now working fine and i cleaned and regreased the sliding pins on both sides.
The passenger side pads though were red EBC ones which have hardly worn but the other side were i assume standard pads.
The discs i think are also EBC grooved and dimpled.
The problem started just over a week ago and I again cleaned and regreased the pins and checked all the pistons. Over the weekend it was fine but today after it had been sitting on the drive since Sunday the problem has returned as before with the intermittent vibration and noise . When it first started it was as if the wheel nuts were not tight.
Any ideas for me to try or check. Thanks

Paul Beazer
31-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Did you replace both sets of pads, i.e. drivers and passenger side?

peter thomson
31-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi yes replaced both sides and everything was fine since the start of January until last week.

Nick Mann
31-01-2007, 10:55 PM
EBC grooved/dimpled discs make a droning throbbing noise when they get hot. Stop a couple of times from silly speed and they sound horrendous. Try the mountain section of the IOM TT course!!

Paul Beazer
31-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Whats with the new avatar "Dirty boy"?

peter thomson
31-01-2007, 11:09 PM
EBC grooved/dimpled discs make a droning throbbing noise when they get hot. Stop a couple of times from silly speed and they sound horrendous. Try the mountain section of the IOM TT course!!

Yes I had noticed that a couple of times. Bit of a shock the first time though.

Kieran
31-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Whats with the new avatar "Dirty boy"?

BEWARE Paul, for our Nick is so Virile, he's 'working' his way around the club widows! Armour-plated knickers are recommended!!:speechles

Kieran
31-01-2007, 11:15 PM
On a more helpful note.... The pins - what grease are you using on them? ARe the pins perfectly smooth, and (with the caliper split) do they move freely along their entire length?

Also.... Clutching at straws here, but it did happen to me once - when you push the pistons back into their bores, are you cracking open the bleed screws? If you're not... try that. On my V6, the residual line pressure from the ABS module kept pushing the pistons back out - feck knows why it should happen but it did!

peter thomson
31-01-2007, 11:37 PM
On a more helpful note.... The pins - what grease are you using on them? ARe the pins perfectly smooth, and (with the caliper split) do they move freely along their entire length?

Hi I'm using the synthetic grease amsoil mentioned in another post which seems to be working fine. One of the pins in the other caliper is pitted and I am waiting for a new one from camskill and a caliper rebuild kit. The rubber bit at the end of the top pin is damaged so I removed it and have ordered a couple of them as well.
Would it being missing cause the problem

Also.... Clutching at straws here, but it did happen to me once - when you push the pistons back into their bores, are you cracking open the bleed screws? If you're not... try that. On my V6, the residual line pressure from the ABS module kept pushing the pistons back out - feck knows why it should happen but it did!

Pistons all seem to be moving freely .I pushed them in and out a few times to check.

peter thomson
31-01-2007, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=Kieran]On a more helpful note.... The pins - what grease are you using on them? ARe the pins perfectly smooth, and (with the caliper split) do they move freely along their entire length?

I'm using the grease amsoil mentioned in another post which seems to be working fine. One of the pins in the other caliper is not very good and I've odered a new one and rebuild kit from Camskill
Also the rubber bit on the end of the top pin was damaged and i removed it and am also waiting for this part.
Would this part being missing or damaged cause the problem

Kieran
31-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Would this part being missing or damaged cause the problem

Hmmm. Unlikely I would've thought. Quite often that rubber grommet makes the operation of the pins more stiff, so removing it, if anything will probably make it freer!

peter thomson
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Had another look tonight and found that the lower piston is sticking so will clean the pistons this weekend and replace the seals

Munta
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
when was the last time the brake fluid was blead and replaced? as you might have some air bubbles starting to build up in the brake lines

peter thomson
03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi cleaned up the pistons today as the dust seals had a couple of small splits in them and now back to normal operation .Just to order another set of pads incase the heat has damaged them. thanks for the hepful info

Nick Mann
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Hope that sorts it. Let us know! :thumbsup:

peter thomson
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM
The overheating and noise have gone so appears the problem is solved. Thanks for the help

White Lightning
06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
£22 is quite reasonable for the caliper servicing kit isn't it ...

How difficult is it to replace the piston dust seals then ?

peter thomson
06-02-2007, 10:29 PM
£22 is quite reasonable for the caliper servicing kit isn't it ...

How difficult is it to replace the piston dust seals then ?

The dust seals i found easiest to fit with the pistons fully in .
The seal goes into a fairly wide groove without to much difficulty.
You then have to fit a circlip which is the hardest bit as it would be quite easy to puncture the seal.
This holds the seal in the groove. I then fitted the the seal over the piston which is a bit fiddly getting the seal to seat properly.
The sliding pin seals are not as good as the original ones which appear to be retained on the pin and caliper mount but the new ones are only retained in the mount and are just a pressure fit against the pin. My old ones were still quite good so I have left them on.

peter thomson
15-02-2007, 10:19 PM
A piston in the other front caliper is now sticking. I knew i should have ordered 2 kits /pan . No chance of sorting it this weekend as I doubt the kit will arrive on saturday but I am replacing all the oils this weekend .

peter thomson
10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
The sliding pin seals are not as good as the original ones which appear to be retained on the pin and caliper mount but the new ones are only retained in the mount and are just a pressure fit against the pin. My old ones were still quite good so I have left them on.

Changed the seals in the other caliper today and had to use the pin seals from the kit and found that they do seal onto the pin as well as the bit that butts up against the caliper so i would now say they are better than the originals. Apoligies to camskill