PDA

View Full Version : Camskill - Suspension Arms Dissapointment

Dan_G
01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

realised my front rhs lower arm ball joint was screwed so went looking for replacement suspension arms and decided to get Lhs lower arm, Rhs lower arm, lhs curved arm, rhs curved arm from Camskill including a pair of anti roll bar droplinks....

parcel arrived to day and just opened it and I'm well and truelly P!ssed off with what i found...

I recieved 2off Rhs lower arms (Nipparts) and 2 off lhs curved arms (in plastic bags, no name).... not only that, but the quality of the curved arms is suspect to say the least... the arms construction differ considerably... one is black and one is silver the silver one has a ball joint with a shabby boot seal that will let crap in and it will fail within miles but does have a proper bush pressed in at the other end.

the black one has a good ball joint, but the bush looks like it was moulded in someones bedroom by pouring in some rubber into a bean can around a bit of plate.... and I would be hesitant to put it on my car...

so atm I'm well and truelly peeved.. not at anyone in particular, just the fact the products are wrong and the curved arms are crap... so my weekend plans are well and truelly out the f-in window and my ball join will have to stay knackered for as long as it takes for me to get replacments...

oh yeah the anti rollbar droplinks are blue print items.

edit(calmed down a bit now)
I know other people have used camskill and never been dissapointed? was i just unlucky? i'll give them a call tommorow and see what the score is...

Dan_G
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
on second inspection the dodgy bush is even cracked !! /Grrr /Grrr :speechles

:speechles

Kieran
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes, they do look rather shabby. And they're Nipparts components - usually okay!:inquisiti

Dan_G
01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Yes, they do look rather shabby. And they're Nipparts components - usually okay!:inquisiti

the lower arms are Nipparts and they seem ok... apart from the fact I have two the same....

the curved arms are just in plastic bags that I think someone has reconned badly...[EDIT] Actually they have Nippart product codes on the bags[EDIT]

Kieran
01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Aaaah! Now that's interesting. I just assumed from the picture.

Dan_G
01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Aaaah! Now that's interesting. I just assumed from the picture.

i now removed the picture :P... it was just showing the bottom arms both had the same part number...

oddly enough the curved arms had different part numbers stuck on the plastic bags... one for RHS and one for LHS... but both are LHS...

/pan

BraindG
01-02-2007, 08:54 PM
This fills me full of joy!.... NOT!. Sorry to hear your dissapointment, but seeing this im feeling the same. I was looking at these parts today, sorting costings and the like..

/sigh..

Which makes me think whether im just aswell reconditioning them myself, using that whatsitmejig that kieran used for the engine mounts. (the curved arms)

Kieran
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I bought curved arms from Autoteile.de - the same place PSB and Bernmc did. Bern's arms did fail prematurely, but that was an old version - I can't remember the exact differences but mine were different - the most noticeable being that the balljoint nut was the same size as the original, not smaller.

They might be worth a shot!

PS..... Regarding flexane - seeing as it's your suspension and angles are everything, I would not recommend it... a few mm on your engine mounts is okay, but on your suspension arms it could make the car handle like a pig!

Axeboy
01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Call Camskill and sort it out, theyve been nothing but helpful with me and others in the past...

peter thomson
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
The caliper seals I ordered from camskill arrived today in a plain plastic bag with no markings on it and the boots for the pins look poor compared to the original on the car. i will see how I get on with the kit this weekend

Dan_G
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Call Camskill and sort it out, theyve been nothing but helpful with me and others in the past...

Aye, i'll give them a call..... it's never simple...

had the same problem replacing bmw front arms using ECP... they sent two different types and i had to send bits back and forth until it was sorted..

as mutley would say... frassum rassum....

Japow
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Yep ring Camskill up Mike will be as peeved as you & will certainly put it right if he can

dogwagon
02-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Following on from a thread i saw a few weeks ago ...

Give your Chassis Number to your local Mitsi service dept & see if your car has outstanding RECALLS .....
My local dealer has TWO shiny new Genuine Lower Arms waiting to go on my car, along with 3 other recall items
FREE !!!
Thanx to whichever WONDERFUL Club VR4 member posted up the link to the Jap Website for checking outstanding Recalls !!!

Wodjno
02-02-2007, 03:07 AM

Give your Chassis Number to your local Mitsi service dept & see if your car has outstanding RECALLS .....
My local dealer has TWO shiny new Genuine Lower Arms waiting to go on my car, along with 3 other recall items
FREE !!!
Thanx to whichever WONDERFUL Club VR4 member posted up the link to the Jap Website for checking outstanding Recalls !!!

Nice 1 :scholar:

Dan_G
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Ok, just spoke with mike and he is indeed a very helpful guy... :)

he will be sending me out two new curved arms and a Left lower arm on Monday.... so all should be fine...

all the arms are Nipparts btw.

Dan

Rambaud
16-02-2007, 02:42 PM

FREE !!!

Good point.

I have just e-mailed my local Mitsi dealer.

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 06:51 PM
The caliper seals I ordered from camskill arrived today in a plain plastic bag with no markings on it and the boots for the pins look poor compared to the original on the car. i will see how I get on with the kit this weekend

Peter - are you referring to this kit ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1397p7669

If so, that's a bit of a bummer for me as I was going to order one next week. I only actually need one of the seals for the sliding caliper bolts. Are these the bits that are not any good ?

Let us know how you get on with the fitting ...

Dan_G
16-02-2007, 07:37 PM
OK,

seeing as the thread came back to life. I can let you all know, Camskill where as good as there word and replaced my arms... :happy:

the new curved ones where both the same type with the moulded looking bush but nice ball joint... and the new lower left arm was different from the previous right one that was sent and had a smaller ball joint nut and thread. but all other dimensions like the bush hole centres where the same.

I fitted the arms last saturday and turned out both my existing right arms (curved and lower) had knackered ball joints... (which was kinda evident from the handling!!)

wish I could say the car was wobble free now..... wbut despite the handling being far better a it is still wobbling under light acceleration and braking...

peter thomson
17-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Peter - are you referring to this kit ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1397p7669

If so, that's a bit of a bummer for me as I was going to order one next week. I only actually need one of the seals for the sliding caliper bolts. Are these the bits that are not any good ?

Let us know how you get on with the fitting ...

Hi yes that is the kit. My seals were ok so i have reused them rather than the ones in the kit. They may be fine but the originals have a positive seal on the pin whereas these new ones just rely on the bellows effect of the seal pushing up against the caliper which i would think would allow dirt and water to enter the pin if the surface of the caliper is not clean and smooth. My worrry is if using a power washer in that area it may force water and dirt in.

psbarham
24-03-2007, 08:55 AM
as stated in my other thread i now have some camskill bottom arms on mine , i fitted them about 2 months ago , well i removed them yesterday to fit the poly bushes , which i duley did after freeing off the bottom ball joints , both side were seized solid and full of water, it seems the dust seal is **** , i would recomend anyone who is running these to remove them and clean and repack the ball joints asap to prolong their life span

psbarham
26-03-2007, 07:03 PM
as stated in my other thread i now have some camskill bottom arms on mine , i fitted them about 2 months ago , well i removed them yesterday to fit the poly bushes , which i duley did after freeing off the bottom ball joints , both side were seized solid and full of water, it seems the dust seal is **** , i would recomend anyone who is running these to remove them and clean and repack the ball joints asap to prolong their life span

i have told camskill about this problem , they were quite suprised , so i assume they are going to contact their supplier to rectify the problem .

psbarham
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
well 1500 miles on from this , and both bottom ball joints are seized solid , making the car near undrivable /Grrr , i have contacted camskill about this and await a response from them , if they refuse to resolve the matter then i have plan 'B' ready to try out on the arms :scholar:

Kieran
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Bleh, that's no good. :(

psbarham
06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Bleh, that's no good. :(
tell me about it , its like driving a bull dozer, turn the wheel left and the car lurchs left and carrys on turning left until the wheel is turned to the right , and vice versa , but i do have a cunning plan :scholar:

Dan_G
08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
tell me about it , its like driving a bull dozer, turn the wheel left and the car lurchs left and carrys on turning left until the wheel is turned to the right , and vice versa , but i do have a cunning plan :scholar:

mines the same...... was stiff since fitting... was hoping it would eaze off..... well it certainly keeps you on your toes... driving good old push and pull style now like I was taught wen learning to drive..

psbarham
08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
mines the same...... was stiff since fitting... was hoping it would eaze off..... well it certainly keeps you on your toes... driving good old push and pull style now like I was taught wen learning to drive..

i've been playing with one of the german arms that came off for the mot , and i think i may be able to drill and tap the ball joint and fit a grease nipple so at least i can give it a squirt a month to push the water out . mind you i wouldn't have to do this if camskill got up off their lazy arses and replyed to the e-mail i sent them 2 days ago /pan /Grrr

Wodjno
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
well 1500 miles on from this , and both bottom ball joints are seized solid , making the car near undrivable /Grrr , i have contacted camskill about this and await a response from them , if they refuse to resolve the matter then i have plan 'B' ready to try out on the arms :scholar:

How does it actually make the car drive Paul.. ??

What are the characteristics :thinking:

psbarham
08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
How does it actually make the car drive Paul.. ??

What are the characteristics :thinking:
if you turn right into a T junction and release the steering wheel so it should self centre , it doesn't , you have to really force the wheel past centre to straighten up , it does this over pot holes and tram lines in the road , its bordering on dangerous , even more so when the kids are in the car /Grrr

Wodjno
08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
if you turn right into a T junction and release the steering wheel so it should self centre , it doesn't , you have to really force the wheel past centre to straighten up , it does this over pot holes and tram lines in the road , its bordering on dangerous , even more so when the kids are in the car /Grrr

Aha :iloveyou: /thankyou/bounce/Banana:sweethear:love:/Banana/Poms:thumbsup:/Steeringw/woot2/woot/Hyper:bananadan:2thumbsup

psbarham
08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Aha :iloveyou: /thankyou/bounce/Banana:sweethear:love:/Banana/Poms:thumbsup:/Steeringw/woot2/woot/Hyper:bananadan:2thumbsup
problems with yours then mate?

Wodjno
08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
problems with yours then mate?

Ooh Ooh Ooh !! Ang on a minute :speechles

bernmc
10-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you need new front suspension arms, get the genuine mitsi items. Anything else is false economy.