PDA

View Full Version : First Mod

peter thomson
03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
:happy: Hi just fitted my first mod since buying the VR4 from Kato . One of BDA's decat pipes. Just 1 question, do i need to reset the ecu or not. thanks

Funkstar
03-02-2007, 04:17 PM
No need mate.

peter thomson
03-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info

sanct
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
:happy: Hi just fitted my first mod since buying the VR4 from Kato . One of BDA's decat pipes. Just 1 questtion, do i need to reset the ecu or not. thanks

Am I correct in thinking it is a good idea to reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a short while?
Not meaning to step on anyones tootsies.
:inquisiti

BraindG
04-02-2007, 10:04 AM
personally i would reset ecu so it learns with the new de-cat.

peter thomson
04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks I'll do that today

Nick Mann
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think it will make much difference. If your gearbox re-learns quickly then do it. I avoid ecu resets on mine wherever possible because it takes 500 or more miles for the gearbox to settle down again! Having said that, previous VR4's I have had did not have the problem - better condition boxes I guess?

peter thomson
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Reset the ECU yesterday and everything seems fine apart from the cd changer which appears to have died. Good excuse to upgrade the stereo but could have done without it failing just now.

Nick Mann
05-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Reset the ECU yesterday and everything seems fine apart from the cd changer which appears to have died. Good excuse to upgrade the stereo but could have done without it failing just now.

? WTF? Could it be a fuse/bad connection? Turning the power on and off seems a strange way of killing a cd changer.

peter thomson
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi checked all the fuses and tried the reset button on the changer but no sign of life .Does seem strange that all I did was disconnect the battery. There is only the changer cable from the head unit which must send power down to the changer.
Searched for a manual on the web but coudn't find anything about ministry of sound systems.
I don't think it's avery good system anyway as the speakers start to distort at faily low volume.

peter thomson
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Opened up the changer last night and found one of the wires had come away from the eject/reset board and then another wire came away when I checked the other 2. Resoldered them and its working again. Maybe reconnecting the battery gave it a bit of a shock or surge of some kind.

Kieran
11-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Opened up the changer last night and found one of the wires had come away from the eject/reset board and then another wire came away when I checked the other 2. Resoldered them and its working again. Maybe reconnecting the battery gave it a bit of a shock or surge of some kind.

Crumbs! Yeah, I can only think it was coincidence or that, as you say, there was a spike that popped the joint! Glad to hear it's all working again.

BraindG
11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Other than the CD Changer, hows the car going after the reset?

peter thomson
11-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Other than the CD Changer, hows the car going after the reset?

Hi I've had no problems with the reset apart from the cd changer. I was going to change all the oils today but it has rained here all day.
The decat has improved the pickup and is slightly louder:happy: outside the car but sounds great to me.

I think my gearbox has the wrong amsoil in it going by the receipts Lee passed on to me so need to change this asap and do another reset!!!