PDA

View Full Version : What turbo fitted to 6A13TT

Davezj
03-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I have read it is a TD03

and someone put it was a TD03L-8G-5.5 is this correct?

I have a problem, my car went in for some work to be done on it and they managed to snap off the fixing bracket on the front turbo where the metal Y pipe conects to the top of the turbo housing.

do you know of anyone else this happened.

do you think it can be TIG welded back on or is a new turbo job.

this is just something else that has gone wrong.

If it's a new turbo do you know where i can get one, apart from the obvious, Mo!!

Cheers Dave

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
It should be fixable, but you may get a slight drop in boost.

Ive done this to my rear turbo before, but managed to fix it in the end.

They are quite brittle.

I'll have 4 spare turbos soon, so if you get syuck with Mo, give me a shout.

Davezj
03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
cheers for the info, the guys have said they will fix it by getting it welded. the front turbo assembly will have to be stripped down again to get it to the guy how will do the tig welding on it, Hopefully!!!!

Spoke to Mo and he said if realy need a turbo he has one for the front.

Cheers for the offer
Dave

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Yup, dont worry about it.

As said, i broke mine, so did conaboy.

Wouter
03-02-2007, 10:07 PM
HJM, have also had this problem, we noticed it when we did some work on their car.

As far as I know they have not yet repaired it, and it does not seem to be a problem.

Infact if I remember correctly WODJNO has never had a bolt in there and his car is very tunned... so I would not worry to much.

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 10:10 PM
The problem is more if the gasket beloew the seal has cracked.

If its all above the seal then it shoudlnt be a problem, especially as the Y-pipe will hold it down with enough pressure anyway.

But as said, if its damaged below, then boost leak will be a problem.

Wodjno
03-02-2007, 10:12 PM
HJM, have also had this problem, we noticed it when we did some work on their car.

As far as I know they have not yet repaired it, and it does not seem to be a problem.

Infact if I remember correctly WODJNO has never had a bolt in there and his car is very tunned... so I would not worry to much.

Ahh !! :happy: That bracket :thinking: I was reading through this post and couldn't work out which bracket was mean't /pan

As Wouter states.. I have never had a bolt in mine :speechles

Don't seem to have any adverse affects though :pimp2:

HJM
03-02-2007, 10:12 PM

lol - until I read this, we had totally forgotten about it - it certainly hasn't been repaired and hasn't caused any issues so far :happy:

J :)

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I may be wrong here... but would running a boost controller with a boost leak at the turbo pipes not cause a problem? ie raising the boost even more, if you get what i mean...

:)

Wodjno
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I may be wrong here... but would running a boost controller with a boost leak at the turbo pipes not cause a problem? ie raising the boost even more, if you get what i mean...

:)

I don't seem to have any boost leak :inquisiti

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, but thats not a busted turbo gasket, its just missing the front bolt, but the other bolts are more than enough to keep the Y-pipe in the turbo

Wodjno
03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry :inquisiti I must have missed something here :speechles

Who's got a busted Turbo Gasket :thinking:

Axeboy
03-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, when I say gasket, I mean the socket that the turbo pipes fall into on the turbos.... the fixing bracket. This is the problem the thread poster has started with, first post. And HJM seems to have had the same issue.

I just call it a gasket :)

Anyways..

In no expert...

So I'll show what I mean.

Conaboys Car

Car Set at 0.9bar on the BC
Tested Car on Standard Boost = 0.55bar
Turbo Cracked
Panic
Fix
Tested Car without boost controller reading = 0.47bar
Then set the BC back to 0.9bar

My question is, would the turbos be working harder to achieve this pressure?

Nick Mann
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
The Y pipe fits into the front turbo with an O ring seal. If there is no way the air can get out then you have no problem. I also have no bolt there (the head sheared off when I was doing some work on it last year) but the other bolts on the Y piece hold the Y piece firmly in place, so the O ring still seals. The Y piece is held in place in the front turbo quite firmly. Hope that makes a bit more sense?

I have my HKS EVC set to 1.3bar and I seem to have no issues.

Axeboy
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Yep, as said above, not an issue for those just missing a bolt..

Its an issue with those that have damaged turbos.

Davezj
04-02-2007, 11:49 PM
nice to know you are not have an issue with the bolt not in.

But the garage said they will get it welded back on for me.

so i would rather have it attached than not. the cracked off bracket goes down to the top of the o-ring seal of the turbo.

I just hope whoever welds it, does it with the open end of the turbo downward facing as i don't imagine the turbo fins would be too happy having weld spatters falling on them.

I am feeling very nervous about the outcome now!

Cheers Dave

EDD
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
which bolt is it that everyone is talking about? The garage snapped one of the bolts on top of the engine that hold the turbo pipe work in place on mine too. Is this the one?

Nick Mann
05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
No. The bolt is just behind the radiator, just to the drivers side of the hedgehog heatsink on the back of the fan. Follow the hardpipe on the top of the engine down behind the radiator and you will see the bolt. The turbo is just underneath.