PDA

View Full Version : Engine Warning light and Traction Control light

EDD
04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Does anybody know why the engine warning light and traction control light come on together? I've just had £3,500 of engine work done so i'm wondering if it has anything to do with that. I had oil pump, water pump, all belts and pulleys, big end and main bearings, crank shaft oil seal and various other items replaced. Anyone got any ideas?

SGHOM
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Have you tried an ECU reset ?? :thinking:
disconnect the battery for 30 secs...... then reconnect & give it some welly !! :afro:

bernmc
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Read the MUT - http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5456. Should give you an error code.

Kieran
04-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I suspect it may be more simple than that. There was a problem that caused this symptom some time ago... basically the vacuum pipes that connect to the TCL vacuum unit come adrift (or leak) and cause this. Now seeing as you've just pretty much had your engine rebuilt, I'm wondering if they've not connected everything back up when they reassembled it - could also be that they've not connected a sensor back up as well.

The Vee
04-02-2007, 07:44 PM
And also check your turbo pipes are all secure as a leak there can cause the maf sesor to misread and may well show up the lights you have, oh and check the maf is plugged in.

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
oh and check the maf is plugged in.

...... :D

EDD
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
nice one! Thanks for that. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks again. I think I would have to hang myself if it had been something big again. lol

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
nice one! Thanks for that. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Thanks again. I think I would have to hang myself if it had been something big again. lol

Hope it turns out to be summat simple (like Bernmc) :happy:

What work have you had done on your engine ?

EDD
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Read the MUT - http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5456. Should give you an error code.

How do I get access to this page? Do I need to subscribe?

EDD
05-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Hope it turns out to be summat simple (like Bernmc) :happy:

What work have you had done on your engine ?

THE FOLLOWING FITTED BY EAST COAST CUSTOMS IN JAN 07 AT A TOTAL OF £3,350
6 hours of investigation and diagnosis due to oil light at low revs/tick over
NEW CAM BELT
NEW OIL PUMP FITTED
NEW REAR BRAKE DISCS FITTED
NEW BIG END BEARINGS FITTED
NEW MAIN BEARINGS
NEW WATER PUMP
NEW AIR CON BELT
NEW TENSIONER PULLEY
NEW IDLER PULLEY
NEW ALTENATOR BELT
NEW OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
NEW CRANK SHAFT OIL SEAL
OIL AND FILTER
3 INCH STAINLESS STEEL DOWN PIPES
NEW TYRES (FEDERAL SS 595'S)

Kieran
05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
How do I get access to this page? Do I need to subscribe?

You do, yes - But follow the other suggestions first - if you search around on the forums, you'll find a lot of references to this fault.

EDD
05-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I took the engine cover off and startded the engine. The engine sounds like it was miss firing too and I could hear a clicking sound ontop of the forward left cylinder. On closer inspection I found intermittant sparking from the coil pack mount to the coil pack (where the ht lead connects). Does anyone think that this would create an Engine warning light and traction control light or do i need to look deeper? Can you change one coil pack or do you need to change them all? Or is it the ht leads that need replaced?

EDD
05-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Have you tried an ECU reset ?? :thinking:
disconnect the battery for 30 secs...... then reconnect & give it some welly !! :afro:

do you need to disconnect the posotive or negative or both to reset the ecu?

EDD
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
just swapped the coil pack over with the one next to it to determine whether or not it was the leads or the coil pack and it hasnt done it again. Ive had the engine running for the past 20 minutes and theres been no sign of sparks.

Kieran
05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
do you need to disconnect the posotive or negative or both to reset the ecu?

Recommended to disconnect the -ve end first. Not essential though.

Any joy now the coil packs have been switched?

EDD
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Problem has not come back again. I wonder if it was the ht lead not fully connected or something. Now I have a different problem.

Physician
05-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Problem has not come back again. I wonder if it was the ht lead not fully connected or something. Now I have a different problem.

Well, as you seem to have one issue after another I'd join up ASAP so that you can dig out all the available info in the Library and other sources!

These all sound like niggly little problems though and nothing major (hopefully).

martin_livingstone
06-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh eck...

This TCL Off and Engine Management warning light has happened to me twice in a week with my new (to me) Legnum VR4. I had the car serviced and belts changed as a condition of buying the car. I'll have a look under the bonnet tonight and check everything has been pushed home properly otherwise it's a phone call and trip back to the dealer I guess. Turning the ignition off and then restarting the car cleared the error condition both times.

Don't want it to spoil the experience - I had a try out of the performance on Monday as it was v quiet on the roads - Impressive! Just need better brakes I think.

Martin

EDD
28-05-2007, 01:26 PM
My fault is back again. Boooooooooooooooo!

BKBRKR
16-07-2007, 12:47 AM
ok, is the car shaking,steeping out....or is it just miss firing ? dose it feel like its choking when you drive,worse when ya boost?

Ryan
29-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I suspect it may be more simple than that. There was a problem that caused this symptom some time ago... basically the vacuum pipes that connect to the TCL vacuum unit come adrift (or leak) and cause this. Now seeing as you've just pretty much had your engine rebuilt, I'm wondering if they've not connected everything back up when they reassembled it - could also be that they've not connected a sensor back up as well.

Error in post - disregard