PDA

View Full Version : Want a VR-4, but worried.

Malky
04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Waddup folks.
I've been looking for a good VR-4 for a while now and finally I've found one. Problem is that now I'm actually close to getting one, I'm getting worried about the reputation of the automatic transmission for reliability (or rather, the lack thereof.) Can anyone offer me some kind soothing words to make me jump headlong into VR-4 ownership?

bradc
04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
If the gearbox has been serviced regularly with the correct oil, then you should be ok. Otherwise watch out.

Kieran
04-02-2007, 07:28 PM
There are a lot of threads on here about autobox woes, but really it's very easy to keep them happy. They're much maligned.

Brad's summed it up already really - But the key is to use the correct specification fluid and keep it clean, cool and well filtered.

Look for evidence of ATF flush and changes (a full-on flush, not a half-baked sump empty and refill) in the history and keep an eye on the fluid's condition. If you change it regularly, keep it cool (consider an aftermarket additional ATF cooler if you track it) and change the filter regularly, they'll behave. Overheated, poor-condition fluid, abuse, incorrect specification fluid is the root cause behind a lot of the tales you read about on here.

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM
As above :scholar:

And if your still worried.:thinking: Take out a Years aftermarket Warranty for Peace of Mind.. (Approx £200-300)

And by the time a years up you will then be able to replace a gearbox yourself from the vast knowledge you have accumalated along the way from this site and it's very knowledgeable members(except Bernmc) :thinking:

Good look in your decision

Nick Mann
04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Drive it from cold, and see if it changes smoothly. Once properly warm, in full drive, give it gentle throttle up a minor incline (so it stays in high gear - it must be fouth or fifth). If you feel no lumpiness/harshness to the gearchanges then the box is almost certainly fine, and if you keep it well serviced as above, it will last forever.

Good luck!

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Wherebouts are u in UK :thinking:

Malky
04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm in Fraserburgh, 40 miles North of Aberdeen. I work on the oil rigs so a few times I've seen a decent VR4 for sale on the internet but by the time I get back onshore and call the seller it's already gone,but this time I've been lucky. The car I'm in the process of getting now is in London, which I suppose shows how much I want one.

peter thomson
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm in Fraserburgh, 40 miles North of Aberdeen. I work on the oil rigs so a few times I've seen a decent VR4 for sale on the internet but by the time I get back onshore and call the seller it's already gone,but this time I've been lucky. The car I'm in the process of getting now is in London, which I suppose shows how much I want one.

Hi Malky welcome to the club. Have you looked at the VR4 saloon for sale in Aberdeen. It is listed in autotrader just now or are you looking for a Legnum. I'm over in Alford so not too far away as well and Dan_G is I think in Cruden Bay

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 10:26 PM

Well theres plenty of VR4' members in the London Area !! I'm sure if you would like, we could arrange for someone go down and have a Looky for you :scholar:

Have you got a Postcode of where it is :thinking:

steve190
04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm in Dalgety Bay but do get up as far as Peterhead occasionally

Will be visiting Aberdeen more regularly when our 2 engines go on-line.

bernmc
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
And look for telltale drips on the ground wherever the car has been parked - if the torque convertor seal is going, ATF will leak.

:veryangry And don't think I missed the '(except Bernmc)' bit :veryangry barstewards!

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
:veryangry And don't think I missed the '(except Bernmc)' bit :veryangry barstewards!

..... :D

Japow
04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
If the VR4's in Southwest London, then i'll be within minutes away myself, well within range to pop along & have a look for you. Even though i'd rather you buy mine, which will go with warranty & can even be delivered for you, I'll give you un-biased advice on this car you've found...

soapy1978
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
if you looking for a estate legum v4 then london ant far from my dads as we by blue water and it been looked after few marks on it but she is sound and some mmbers on here seen her and their tell you she a nice car look on the classifieds on this site for a tigger mver one

darren

Roadrunner
05-02-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm getting worried about the reputation of the automatic transmission for reliability (or rather, the lack thereof.)
I've now done around £130k miles in two VR-4s with the auto/tip transmission without any probs. As others have said, regular maintenance and proper auto transmission fluid will mean you shouldn't have any issues. These boxes are not unreliable :)

KHK
05-02-2007, 03:28 AM
if there is problem with the gear box, it must be due to previous owners' careless maintenance or very rough driving

see if you can check previous owners' maintenance record

check any ATF oil leak, check colour of ATF oil
test drive to see if gear changes smoothly and repond properly with kickdown

bernmc
06-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Well... Evo mag this month has doen a bit on running costs of supercars... Lambo MurciI'llHaveAlarger... 1st year, 30% depreciation --> around 55 grand.

1st year servicing costs.... a tad over £37000 /JawDroppi

VR4's are bloody cheap!

Paul Beazer
06-02-2007, 01:21 PM
'kin ell!

Kieran
06-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Thirty Seven Thousand Pounds?!:speechles

simonc
06-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I had similar reservations last year but having looked at this site, some guidance from Axeboy, I took a risk on a cheap recent import but when I test drove it the gearchanges were hardly noticable and the oil was clean and red.

It has been fabulous, about to have all the belts, water pump, plugs and all the oils changed, £300 parts and probably more than that to fit but buying cheap I can afford it and will know myself that the important servicing is up to date. Hopefully been lucky with unknown past history, a few more miles needed to be sure however.

Point of interest, I gave my flatmate a go last night as I have been driving his WRX for a while, big smiles were seen, then we suck the gas oven e-bay purchase in the back and hammered it home again, fun and practicality, perfect.

bernmc
06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Thirty Seven Thousand Pounds?!:speechles

No. THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND POUNDS!!!

Will look when I get home, but other examples off the top of my head: BM*****r M6 - Loses 50% of it's value in the first year. One of the Ferrari's - £14000 service costs in first year.

Scary thing is those prices are for cars that are still within their warranties, so it's non-warranty items like clutches, tyres etc. Info was from the P1 club, so cars do get driven a lot - not just weekend cruises.

/end /Hijack

Malky
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the helpful and reassuring advice guys. I'm offshore at the moment and don't get the chance to check on to the site as often as I'd like. Hopefully I'll be back on dry land in the next 5-6 days and will be able to have a proper look and ask even more questions (probably). Thanks again dudes (and possibly dudettes), this site really is brilliant.