PDA

View Full Version : stearing problem can anyone help?

KEENY
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
hi peeps.

ok it started with a banging type noise and for ages i didnt know what it was. then i started to notice my stearing wheel was shaking left to right when ever i took my hands of the wheel.

when the car is stationary i just wiggle the stearing weel from left to right and there is a clunking sound.

my dad grabed hold of the track rod end as i wriggled the steaing wheel and he could feel the knockin through it. although it was worse on the passenger side he said he could feel it through the whole stearing system.

my dad dont seem to think its the any of the ball joints but could possibly be ball joints on the track rod ends of the stearing box. the stearing wheel is not vibrating but does rock from side to side at speeds from 5mph to 40mph. i have noticed that the stearing is not as light as when i first got the car. also the pirelli p6000 tyres that i brought a year ago are bold. on drivers side and passenger side.

any other thoughts peeps??

also just incase does anyone know how much for a second hand stearing box??

Kieran
04-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Could be track rod ends, could also be the inner rack ends (the other side of the track rod) - These jobbies here:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b406s1402p7128

If either joint is getting tired and has some play in it, it could be knackering your tracking angles (making your tyres wear out faster). Have your tyres worn out just on the shoulders?

KEENY
04-02-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah its bold on the outsides of the tyre