PDA

View Full Version : ECU Swap, 20bhp maybe?

-LegnumVR4-
02-05-2003, 05:03 AM
I have an 2001 VR4 auto ecu. I'm going to plug it into my 97 Legnum VR4 to see if it works or not. The plugs and everything are the same so it does connect up to the loom, just a matter of finding out what it does:Ponder:

Petrolhead
02-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Sounds like my sort of project :D :D :D

Can you film the proceedings? might be worth £250, you never know :D

Good luck.

BraindG
02-05-2003, 09:56 AM
:D

-LegnumVR4-
03-05-2003, 02:34 AM
Installed the later model ECU just before....

Plugged it in.... connected the battery up......turn the key to on.....no problem there.....turned the key.....VROOOOM!

It works:beerclash

Drove it around for about an hour, no problems.

Throttle response is better and u can fell that extra 20bhp there too, my head gets pushed back a lot harder than before :sweat:

Now me thinks that the ECU from the manual VR4 is the same as the later models auto ECU INSERT INTO post VALUES ( i plugged the later model autos ECU into the manuals wiring loom to see if they would connect up which they did); they just started to put them into the autos at a later date. So if any of u guys could get together to do a test for me and get 2 cars that are of the same year or as close as, one manual and one auto and plug the manuals ECU into the auto. They must be the early models as well before the face lift.... duh:D

Petrolhead
03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
NICE ONE!!

Well done :thumb:

-LegnumVR4-
03-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Went out again tonight, geez the car really does move with the new ECU:Eyecrazy:

I would say the ECU has gotten used to my mods by now :D

Now can anyone do an ECU swap to test my idea??

kammy.ahmed
08-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi Rhys, are we thinking that the ECUs from the pre-facelift manual cars are the same as the ECUs from later model autos? If this is the case i think that i may be able to get my hands on one and try this for us.
Tried to find the ECU but havnt got a clue as to where it is........do you have any pics/ideas so that i can see if i can get it out. ?
Cheers mate

-LegnumVR4-
09-08-2003, 07:06 AM
You can get at the ECU from the left side kick panel, it the bit that meets up at the glove box. There is a post on here about how to reverse the throws of the auto's gear lever.

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

It will load up pics so u know how to take the parts off.

The ECU is the box on the top with the Green plugs going to it, near the fire wall under the black A/C foot pipes, can't miss it, x4 plugs.

Let me know how u get on.

Spirit
09-08-2003, 08:33 AM
There were several of us here in the UK looking to upgrade our ECU's and in fact Bonsai Boy INSERT INTO post VALUES (Graham) did. There are no issues in doing this other than the cost over here. If you are lucky enough to find a scrap one it may well set you back £250+ and a new one is nearly £1000 from Mitsy. Then someone was looking at importing them from Japan for around £350 for a new one.

So far many have stopped looking, as Graham advised us at JAE that he rolling roaded his and the extra 20bhp only really kicks in at the top end of the rev scale so unless you are racking the car everywhere in his opinion it wasn't worth the money to do it.

kammy.ahmed
09-08-2003, 11:47 PM
I have been offered the ECU quite cheap so i think that it may just be worth it for the xtra 20 at high revs. Just unsure really as to wether or not this ECU is the right one?
Did graham find any difference in 0-60 times at all?

Brind
09-08-2003, 11:54 PM
I would think it would make a difference to 0-60 times if only slight.
For the cost if you could only get the ECU by the means stated above I'd definitetly take another route which would give performance over the entire rev range.

PM Graham INSERT INTO post VALUES (Bonsai Boy) and see what he says about actual on the road performance.

Spirit
10-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Yeah I would follow Brind's advice and PM Graham now that he has had the ECU for a few more weeks. How much you getting the ECU for Kammy and do you know the part number of it ?

Pete

Spirit
10-08-2003, 08:33 AM
BTW - more info here including part numbers: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=633&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

kammy.ahmed
11-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Have been offered the ECU at £120. Although i need to be sure that the part number is correct? Does it have the part number on it at all, or any special marking?
The car i am taking it from is a 98 manual VR4, from what i hear this is the more powerful ECU....i may be wrong

Spirit
11-08-2003, 10:58 PM
It will have the part number on it and is it a facelift '98 ?

kammy.ahmed
11-08-2003, 11:07 PM
No it is the prefacelift model....come to think of it it has a very heavy passenger side impact, like barrys first one...its also the same colourINSERT INTO post VALUES (could it be the same car).
Am going to have another look tommorow, so if anybody needs anything let me know although the damage is V heavy! Suspension etc appears to be okay though? Will also look for the part number.

Brind
11-08-2003, 11:19 PM
All manuals have the higher bhp ECU.

BraindG
11-08-2003, 11:56 PM
manual --> :monkey5: <-- trip

Spirit
12-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Now thats fighting talk young man

zedy1
12-08-2003, 12:56 AM
when you go give me a shout need a few iteriar . 07815886478

zedy1
18-08-2003, 12:43 AM
these ecu's

there are two types

one is enclosed in a metal casing with green female plugs
one is enclosed in a plastic casing with black female plugs

please note both ecu's have green male plugs

correct me if im wrong and u guys check ur ecu's locared at the rear of the centre coloumn the one at the top

who knows which one is 260 bhp and whih is 280 bhp?

-LegnumVR4-
18-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Well my ECU from my 96-97 is metal so thats the older one. Plastic one is the later models ECU.

zedy1
18-08-2003, 08:44 AM
mine is plastic too what about he plugs

-LegnumVR4-
18-08-2003, 08:55 AM
It must be that all the 1996 model VR-4 have the metal case. In 97 they must have update them to plastic but still only 260bhp for the auto's.

I'm going to drag my Legnum VR-4 this weekend if the weather is fine so i will tell u how much of a gain u get with the later ECU. If it isn't much then i wouldn't bother about the upgrade. People have said that they have had their cars on a rolling road to test the power output and it only comes in high up the rev range and that where i notice the difference. I currently do a 14.4 1/4 so I may knock a couple of points of a sec, soon find out.

zedy1
18-08-2003, 10:54 AM
sounds good to me

-LegnumVR4-
26-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Ok I dragged it but also had another modification so i didn't really test the ECU out.... sorry!

I bought the Turbosmarts E-Boost and installed it, man it's great! I'm now doing a 14sec 1/4 mile at 97mph. Get wheel spin off the line and the AYC and traction control are doing a great job of holding me straight too:D

The car also has gained so much torque down low, really hauls hard. U can program the wastegate to open when u want it to so your turbos spin up even faster and it holds boost very well. Also has features so u can setup intercooler sprayers to spray the cooler when a set psi is met. Bloody great wee unit.

:thumb1:

BraindG
26-08-2003, 04:50 PM
ive been debating this controller.. my mate swears by it.. best thing since sliced bread he said..

but its so much money, cant afford..

anyone gonna go for it?