PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Intercooler???

hedonist
26-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Do you think there would be any feasible power gains by installing a larger intercooler?

At the moment I run 11-13psi with a turbo smart boost controller, ARC cold air box, 3" JASMA exhaust system straight off the turbo flanges with an HKS super dragger and high flow aftermarket Japanese cat. I bought my Legnum stock standard INSERT INTO post VALUES (6 months ago) even though I was not overly enthusiastic about its performance , but now, after the modifications it goes a HELL of alot better. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Faster than my previous Subaru)

I have my front bar off the wagon at the moment, and can see that upgrading the front mount intercooler would be a piece of easy, and not too expensive!! Is it worth it though? Your comments?

zedy1
26-11-2003, 11:10 AM
they stock intercoolers are quite good as they are but if you want to go bigger then thats okay to.

pjjohnson
26-11-2003, 01:08 PM
I've got a bigger intercooler and I'm not convinced its done much, but having said that performance did seem to hold up well in the heat of our hot summer.

pjjohnson
26-11-2003, 02:19 PM
How do you rate the ARC cold air box ? Is it easy to fit, did you have to move the battery ?

hedonist
26-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Honestly, I didnt really notice any difference in performance when I installed the cold air box! No modificatios were needed to install it because it came out of another Legnum that was imported into the country and the guy was selling all the after market stuff on it. I got it for $180 kiwi dollars and the entire mandrel bent exhaust system for $550 which bolted straight up too, no modifications needed.

calum
27-11-2003, 12:25 AM
if you measure the intake temps just now and they are too high then there may be an advantage. bigger ain't always better - cooling ability is what you want - if you have no idea how good/ bad the std one is why randomly change it?

Calum

zedy1
27-11-2003, 01:01 PM
i6tll looks cool on the forums under mods :D

-LegnumVR4-
27-11-2003, 01:13 PM
The Greddy designed intercooler for the Galant/Legnum VR-4 has a core size of 600mmx240mmx76mm. It's not much longer or higher than the stock one but is deeper by about 15mm. I guy I've chatted to says it cures the 3rd gear torque loss, u feel 1st and 2nds torque right throughout the gears :)

enigma
27-11-2003, 01:14 PM
I agree with Calum.......why change it unless you know it will improve performance. I reckon the VR4 intercooler is plenty up to the job.....especially on the move. It is a large front mounted intercooler and will get stuffed with lots and lots of air while you are moving. When stationary its location means that it will not suffer hugely from heat soak from the engine, but may warm up due to superheated intake air lingering after a run. I think a better option would be to add some sort of cooling mechanism such as a fan or my preferred option a cryo cooler.

pjjohnson
27-11-2003, 02:13 PM
The standard intercooler core is 500 x 155 x 65, INSERT INTO post VALUES ( Dave please don't ask me how I know !) so the Greddy one is over twice the volume of the standard one, and nearly twice the frontal surface area. You would think that it should be able to cool things down better, if that is a concern, and as you up the boost you will be making more heat. The wisdom of the 'experts' who sold a bigger intercooler to me was that on cool days it probably wouldn't have much effect, but on hot days it probably would.

Size isn't everything, there may be differences in the design that affect things as well.

There are only two things I have done to my car that I would say are definitely worth doing from a performance perspective because afterwards there was a noticable subjective difference. They are upping the boost and removing the cat.

Its very dull of people to say 'why do it if unless you are certain it will improve performance'.

I agree with anyone who tries things and will share their experiences, be it fact, opinion, objective or subjective.

enigma
27-11-2003, 02:53 PM
An intercooler is not a cheap option though!

hedonist
28-11-2003, 06:36 AM
you have to agree that the most effective power gain comes from more boost. And for me that was the first, cheapest, and quickest modification. I read about Rhys' custom extractor INSERT INTO post VALUES (i refer to it as a front pipe) and just had to get me one! I tell you if you want a BIG difference in 'off the line' speed then a bigger front pipe off the turbo's is the way to go. Man it hauls in low gear. Pretty quiet when idling but when it comes on boost it is flipp'n scary sounding!!!

pjjohnson
28-11-2003, 03:00 PM
You're are right the intercooler isn't a cheap option, but the next big leap could be to go for uprated turbos and for them to work effectively keeping the charge cool is important INSERT INTO post VALUES (according to experts, who are now rich on my money )

Dave if you are thinking of fabricating something 'cryo' to work with your existing intercooler, you can use my old intercooler as a template if you want - just bring the ' Bean Machine' up to Donny and pick it up.

enigma
28-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Not sure I would need a template really, just need to put a looped spraybar on the front and force CO2 through it! Soda Streams rock! :p

Brind
28-11-2003, 09:15 PM
LOL@ The Bean Machine!!! :D

How is that holding up by the way, Dave?:D

enigma
28-11-2003, 10:58 PM
The bean tin rules! Anyone found mocking it will be tried as a witch

:flamer1: