PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - What NZ car alarm do you suggest?

martin_livingstone
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi

I'm very new to NZ, very new to a '97 Legnum VR4 and I need to fit a car alarm to satisy the insurance.

Any recommendations for an alarm? I've only rang one company on the North Shore so far and they quoted $450 for a 4* alarm and an offer of $500 for a 5*, both Mongoose brand.

I've only got one original key with remote locking - can I use the alarm off this or can the fob do the remote locking for me?

Any advice much appreciated!

Apart from that it's a great car. Jap import, 104k kms, pristine inside - I don't think rear seat belts or boot have ever been used. I think the brakes will need some attention soon as the discs/rotors have a waxy appearance which happened on my Alfa

To a bloke it's a purple colour, to a girl it's lilac/lavendery. Everyone has a Subaru, so wanted to be different!

Oh yes, it came with an Alpine Sat Nav/CD changer and dashboard television complete with roof aerials. I guess the chap who had it before spent all his time in a traffic jam. Not sure what to do with this yet.

Martin

jaimz
05-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey dude, welcome to the club.
I got a Dynatron 7800 with a turbo-timer chip put in mine. Totally happy with it. :happy:

d i c k i e s
05-02-2007, 12:32 AM
same here! whateva the insurance company approves of anyway... lol

konman
05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
send me a PM of what you want to spend, turbo timer function, glass break etc and so on and I can hook you up for less than a shop will screw you for. all legit too which is nice.

mpau009
05-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey dude, welcome to the club.
I got a Dynatron 7800 with a turbo-timer chip put in mine. Totally happy with it. :happy:

Yep me too:afro:

Xeroid
06-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Dynatron here, both cars, no problems, and on two previous vehicles.
Welcome along btw, NZ and VR$ country ( Ooops slip of the keyboard there.)

martin_livingstone
06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Cheers

As posted in the Newbie section I've gone for a Dynatron 3600 after comparing specs and speaking to both manufacturers - and it's cheaper than an M60B too.

The wife's paranoid now about parking anywhere and making sure the doors are always locked. Where I live the neighbours go out all day and leave the front door open to let the dog roam and also leave their car unlocked all night. Our car would be the last thing to go (unless they used it to haul everything away...)

And no you can't have the address!

Best regards
Martin

Lucas
06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Don't have a VR4 so don't need the alarm with the turbo timer but I also have a dynatron alarm D3800 (4 star? maybe 5 dunno) They have nice compact key fobs too so you don't get bulgy pockets and keys jabbing you in your thigh :scholar:

CANDEE
06-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I had Mongoose M60G's in my first two carsand loved them :) I have a meridian in my current car and hate it.. :(

d i c k i e s
06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
meridian... mmmmm!

CANDEE
06-02-2007, 11:30 PM
meridian... mmmmm!

Not my choice dude.. :( the car yard put it in. :(

Kenneth
06-02-2007, 11:42 PM
have a meridian too... and also hate it.

damn thing wont let you lock it straight away after unlocking it. you have to wait something like 30 seconds. its a right pain in the backside.

I liked the dynatron, would get another.

d i c k i e s
07-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Not my choice dude.. :( the car yard put it in. :(

yeah, same... they offered me that deal aswell.

CANDEE
07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
yeah, same... they offered me that deal aswell.

I told them that they had to put one in as the car that i was trading had one in and found out later that they charged me for it.. :( Could have gone down the road and got a Mongoose put in the car for less that 2/3 of the cost of the meridian.. :(

d i c k i e s
07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
i think they charged me aswell. it was only cos i didnt have any other money at the time to get a better alarm, and cos what kinda car it was i wasnt going to take it home and have no alarm in it. so yeah.

ShadyNZer
08-02-2007, 01:33 AM
i had a ****ty uniden in my old one, they put a mongoose in the one i got now when i traded up :thumbsup:

detonate
08-02-2007, 05:36 AM
whatever one you get, don't get Installer Services to put it in

God damn muppets /pan