PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiters

WildCards
04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Anyone know anything about rev limiters?

I thinking about buying a derestricted ECU for the 205 as I will need the limiter setting higher when the Mi engine is in, but also, I reckon an extra few hundred rpm's would have made a fair bit of difference on Saturday as to the performance.

Does anyone have any experiences? are they easy to fit? anything recommended?

Axeboy
04-02-2007, 11:50 PM
I cant remember the name of the unit on my mates 205.. but it works well. Im sure fitting was just two wires to the loom iirc. Cant mind the name, but it was a hundred quid or so from Demon Tweaks.

Maybe too well, as his 1.9 8v revved to 9000 one day... but we hadnt set it up.

Cheap and useful, just make sure the engine can take the abuse.

Wodjno
04-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Anyone know anything about rev limiters?

I thinking about buying a derestricted ECU for the 205 as I will need the limiter setting higher when the Mi engine is in, but also, I reckon an extra few hundred rpm's would have made a fair bit of difference on Saturday as to the performance.

Does anyone have any experiences? are they easy to fit? anything recommended?

When fitting the Mi engine !! Won't you need to fit the Mi ECU ?? So the rev's will be higher !! Where is the highest tourque on the Mi engine !

Revs and gear change are different at every track.. Meaning that you may find 1 track that suits the revs of you engine as it is now perfectly. But the next track might suit tha extra few hundred rpm per gear :thinking:

Also this can be done with an EMU and prolly other Piggys.. With that you can set it to what you want ! When you want.. :D

Axeboy
04-02-2007, 11:52 PM
http://www.demon-tweaks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=OMERLC

This was the one he bought.

Axeboy
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I have to admit, the experience of being in a 200bhp 8v 205 at 9000+rpm was mighty good fun...

Gets the old mind thinking overtime

WildCards
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
My little 1.6 revs to 6200rpm and almost all of the power is very high up in the rev range, I don't think we dropped much below 5000rpm all day, as iyt has a very narrow power band which i'd like to open up slightly. The 1.9 revs to 6700rpm and the Mi16 revs to 7250rpm.

I can drop the Mi16 engine in and run it off the 1.6 gearbox for shorter ratios and the 1.6 ECU, but it will need the rev limiter raising to make full use of the Mi16 power band. Delimited 1.6 ECU's are available on ebay for £30, and i've read elsewhere they can be used on a 1.6 as long as you alsdo have a rev limiter, so I was thinking about limiting the revs to 6700rpm as per the 1.9 and running it as that until I change the engine.

Glenn, how will revs and gear change be different at every track? The car still only revs to 6200rpm whether i'm at Cadwell, Combe or Donington and i'll still be changing it just before it hits the limiter, so if the limiter is slightly higher I can hold a gear for longer, i.e when going round a long sweeping bend, I won't need to change until later.

Axeboy, thanks for the link mate, i'll have a shifty :thumbsup:

/EDIT - EMU is way too much money for this little project when a derestricted ECU is only £30, sorry mate.

Wodjno
05-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Glenn, how will revs and gear change be different at every track? The car still only revs to 6200rpm whether i'm at Cadwell, Combe or Donington and i'll still be changing it just before it hits the limiter, so if the limiter is slightly higher I can hold a gear for longer, i.e when going round a long sweeping bend, I won't need to change until later.

You have taken it the wrong way.. Your not looking at the bigger picture.. What i mean't was that Revs you have at the moment at a different track, could have been perfect.. Not needing the extra revs in each gear !! You say you will be able to hold on to a gear longer round a long sweeping bend !! But you will eventually need to change gear.. So it's still 1 gear change in that corner ! Also if you raise the revs your not going to gain a larger power band.. At the Mo it is 5000rpm to 6200rpm.. Thats 1200rpm in length.. So if you raise it to 7250rpm you will still only have 1200rpm between gearchanges??? And you will probably be past the effective power and torque of your little engine.. Hope this makes sense.. I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't :D

/EDIT - EMU is way too much money for this little project when a derestricted ECU is only £30, sorry mate.

What do you mean, Sorry Mate ? I wasn't trying to sell you 1 :speechles

WildCards
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
You have taken it the wrong way.. Your not looking at the bigger picture.. What i mean't was that Revs you have at the moment at a different track, could have been perfect.. Not needing the extra revs in each gear !! You say you will be able to hold on to a gear longer round a long sweeping bend !! But you will eventually need to change gear.. So it's still 1 gear change in that corner ! Also if you raise the revs your not going to gain a larger power band.. At the Mo it is 5000rpm to 6200rpm.. Thats 1200rpm in length.. So if you raise it to 7250rpm you will still only have 1200rpm between gearchanges??? And you will probably be past the effective power and torque of your little engine.. Hope this makes sense.. I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't :D
OK, I know what your saying, but raising the limiter to 6700rpm over 6200rpm could mean a gear change after the corner instead of midway through, I realise it'd drop out of the power band but it's the lesser of two evils really, as it suffers from pretty hefty lift off oversteer if your anywhere near the limit and change gear mid corner, as both Rich and I found out /rally
I'm going to need it anyway for the Mi, so I may aswell look at it sooner rather than later.

What do you mean, Sorry Mate ? I wasn't trying to sell you 1 :speechles
Why not, am I not good enough for you to peddle your wares to /Grrr

Gowf
11-02-2007, 11:26 PM
You dont even need to buy a new ecu if you want to delimit it. We were not allowed to chip the ecu in my rally car due to the challenge regs, but delimiting was fine. From what i remember there is just one resister to cut out. I do have the instructions somewhere but would have to find them. The XU5JA engines are good for up to around 8500 before the bottom end starts to complain with repeated use. I was going to fit an aftermarket limiter set to around 7500, but found the cheaper option was that on when on tar, to remove it and watch what you were doing, and keep the standard one in for gravel otherwise before you know it its gone bang.
But if you want me to look out that delimiting guide i will

WildCards
12-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Cheers Gowf, but for £30 i'll just buy one. Knowing me i'd bugger it up even with a guide.

Gowf
12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
well no worries mate. But just had a thought. Since im getting rid of my rally car anyway, ive got a chipped ecu sitting that came with the car when we originaly bought it. It has no limiter, but im not sure how well a "chipped" ecu goes in them. when we tried it, the car was on a diesel gearbox(dont ask) so didnt really notice any significant power gains other than you could qute happily hit 85 in 2nd gear. If you want it you can have it, i certainly have no need for it anymore, you could at least give it a try and see what you think. Saves you £30. I think i'l be heading back up to scotland in the next week or so, so i'l look it out for you then if you wish, and just drop it in by on my way south. Let me know if you want it, otherwise it'l just end up given away along with everything else for the car.

WildCards
12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
hmm, definately interested Gowf. Also interested in any other goodies you've got going for a 205 as mine needs a few bits. Do you post on 205GTidrivers, definately worth putting your car on their if your selling up mate, i've shifted a few bits over the last couple of weeks.

Gowf
12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
never have posted on there. Its on rallyused parts at the moment, along with the 205 ecosse challenge website and of course the clasifieds here. What are you after? Im getting rid of most of the bits in the spares package, but im sure if you ask me nicely, they may just fall out of the box. Also, ive a f reg 1.9 thats registered as a 1.6 that im planning on getting rid of. I havent run it since august, but it passed its mot 2 weeks ago. There's so much new stuff on it. Dont suppose your interested at all? Was going to end up on ebay, but just havent got round to it yet.
But anyway, let me know what your after and i'l see what i can do.

WildCards
12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
/runs off to have a butchers

Gowf, i'm going to send you a PM mate

Gowf
12-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Tried to reply to you mate, but it seems that you need to delete some pm's before you can recieve mine. I think you'l like my responce though. Oh how generous i feel today