PDA

View Full Version : LED Replacement

n13l pm
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I purchased a load of LEDs for smy car, all surface mounted, on ebay from hong kong. The prices below include delivery to UK the lot came to £26.50. Really cheap compared to everywhere else I looked. All work unbelievably bright. The seller >> LEDs (http://stores.ebay.com/warden-jp2002)

4 x dome 31mm 9leds for interior (as below) £10.50 for 4.
uploaded/2949/1170707304.jpg

4 x 501 two for number plate and two for front doors (as below) £8 for 4.
uploaded/2949/1170707274.jpg

4 x 233 for front dims (as below) including a spare set. £8 for 4.
uploaded/2949/1170707720.jpg

Nick Mann
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Good find and good info! Let us know how well they work over time. This is one of those little mods that you can ask your family to buy as a Christmas present!!

Kieran
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Ooooh..... Hello!

Does the dimmer on the interior lights (when you lock up) still work when you have the LEDs in?

psbarham
05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Ooooh..... Hello!

Does the dimmer on the interior lights (when you lock up) still work when you have the LEDs in?
dimmer? what dimmer ? mine just goes out , which tbh i always thought was crap , its the first car i've owned since a mk1 festa ghia that hasn't had a courtesy light delay

Kieran
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
My UK cars dimmed - but they were both facelifts.

The VR-4 just 'flashes' the interior lamp to confirm the ETACS system is armed.

n13l pm
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Just popped out to check it, and indeed it does, soo be it slightly quicker but it does dim when you lock up. Its the first time I checked them out in the dark, and they bright enough to light up the whole front interior of the car with a cool white finish :happy: no more yellow!

psbarham
05-02-2007, 10:58 PM

i want dimmer and delay , not fair /Hissy /Hissy /Hissy /Hissy /Hissy /Hissy /Hissy

Wodjno
05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
This is freaky :speechles

Ever since Gly did his re-lighting of hus dash with LED's i have been interested in doing this. But it seemed a bit technichal and with Isaac's input in the thread(Although very informative) I decided to give it a miss untill something a tad easier arose. :thinking:

Over the last week or so ! I have been Mulling over having a go at it.. :inquisiti

And with this new info from Neil /thumbs it may become reality rather than a dream :pimp2:

Good work Neil :scholar:

n13l pm
06-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Mate I havent done the dash LEDs only the roof dome light and and rear dome light. Im interested in doing the A/C control LEDs but dont want to risk blowing the board.

bernmc
06-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Clever boy. Have some rep.

What do you mean 'front dims' - are they the sidelights?

n13l pm
06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah I what I meant by dim lights was sidelights (233bulbs).

I checked the prices for the leds compared to Ultraleds.co.uk and the prices are less then half price after considering postage! :happy:

pezza
06-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Good stuff, cracking prices...

I have used the 233 replacement type for sidelights. (contains 6 leds) but they seem to die very quickly (within a couple months) These were from ultraLEDS
which do seem pricy in comparison.

I am not sure if I have any lekky gremlins but wonder if the LEDS need any other components in line to protect them from surges or something maybe? :inquisiti They do look fried when removed :speechles

When they do work, tho, they are almost as bright as the standard headlamp bulbs....nice blue white crisp light... Looks superb!

Will try the festoon type (stoopid name /pan ) LED interiors at some point.

Will see how it looks on your car Mr N13L at Ace sometime :D

n13l pm
06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
The 233 6led bulbs you had, was it the same type as the picture above? also did you have your HIDs while you had then connected? Because I know normal heaglight bulbs get too hot for led sidelights.

pezza
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
yeh they were similar, its the ones Ultraleds sell.

Interesting what you said about headlamp heat. I think I had standard bulbs at the time yes. I may try LEDS again in that case.

The thought of takin sidelights out again is not an appealing one tho /Grrr

I need to order and test with the LEDs

stuey
07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Replaced my interior lights with white LED 'festoon' replacements few months back. Not sure if they are much brighter, but certainly nice and white.

Was thinking about fiting glove box LED and maybe footwell ones too..

n13l pm
07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I take it you have the standard LED replacements, I use to them interior lights in my old car (civic) but the ones I got are just at a next level, Soo much brighter > Ultraleds has details on them. (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=1288&osCsid=14265268301b1ec2f508b794b26fb34c)

As for footwells (which im also doing) I am thinking about using cold cathodes, again I used them in my civic, and they worked really well.

Gly
08-02-2007, 06:54 AM
This is freaky :speechles

Ever since Gly did his re-lighting of hus dash with LED's i have been interested in doing this. But it seemed a bit technichal and with Isaac's input in the thread(Although very informative) I decided to give it a miss untill something a tad easier arose. :thinking:

Over the last week or so ! I have been Mulling over having a go at it.. :inquisiti

And with this new info from Neil /thumbs it may become reality rather than a dream :pimp2:

Good work Neil :scholar:

its easy as, give it a go :P

mines still working, and had no issues with it at all.

psbarham
08-02-2007, 08:17 PM

so come on then , out with the info , which relay does the dimmer ????????????

Kieran
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
so come on then , out with the info , which relay does the dimmer ????????????

Derr............ I've no idea how the dimming system in the UK-specs works! :embarasse - BUT the UK dealers do have the wiring books for the UK-only models.:happy:

Wouter
10-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Nice one!! I have just ordered some myself!

n13l pm
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Nice one!! I have just ordered some myself!

:2thumbsup Which ones did you go for?

(Super Fast Delivery on these from hong kong, I ordered on friday late afternoon and had them on monday morning.)

Wouter
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I ordered 2x dome 31mm 9leds interior.

I wanted 4 but he only had 2 available..... We will test these and I may order some more!

stuey
11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
You need 5 for all inside, tow at front, one over each rear door and one on rear.

Wouter
11-02-2007, 05:16 PM
You need 5 for all inside, tow at front, one over each rear door and one on rear.

I know, but the only ones I use are the front ones... mine are bust... if they work as planned I will replace the others as well.

pezza
15-02-2007, 02:04 AM
The 233 6led bulbs you had, was it the same type as the picture above? also did you have your HIDs while you had then connected? Because I know normal heaglight bulbs get too hot for led sidelights.

Hmm I guess BA9S bulbs are the same size/spec as 233s?

n13l pm
15-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I read some where that they are the same and they look the same, but these are the only bulbs i havnt got around to installing, as their such a mission. I will do it this weekend (i did test them and they do work). Will let you know.

pezza
16-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I read some where that they are the same and they look the same, but these are the only bulbs i havnt got around to installing, as their such a mission. I will do it this weekend (i did test them and they do work). Will let you know.

OK no probs....just typical just the mere talk about changing these damn sidelight bulbs and last night one has blown, just after I have had all the HIDs out and refitted! /Grrr

pezza
16-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Ahh just found THIS (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29817&postcount=9) post :D

n13l pm
16-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Well that confirms it. waste no time and order it mate, at that price theres nuthing to think about!

Damn typical the blub blew!

pezza
17-02-2007, 04:27 AM
I will I will

Will try both the refracted and high power bulbs see how they last. :thinking:

the record so far is 7 weeks! :inquisiti but will try now I have cooler HIDs :afro:

Wouter
21-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Mine arrived today!! :thumbsup:

Will fit them later, they took their time coming here tho!

I-S
11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Bit late to this, but PSB - My GLS didn't dim/delay the interior light. My GDI does. It's a change to the facelift models.

DefeXion
12-07-2007, 02:09 AM
You could create a dimming effect with a few capacitors and resistors... this will effect the flashing effect though.

Pete M
12-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Bit late to this, but PSB - My GLS didn't dim/delay the interior light. My GDI does. It's a change to the facelift models.

This may be for UK models, but my ex Japan pre-facelift '97 has the interior/courtesy light delay and slow dim when the door is closed. It also flashes when you lock the door, and comes on when you unlock the door (before you open it) from the remote.

Or did you mean that the feature was deleted on facelift models? Not familiar with your cars so just realised it could be either way round.

I-S
12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
UK Facelifts do have it, UK pre-facelifts don't.

peter thomson
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I have the delay/dimmer on my 96 legnum as well

jayjay99
25-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Hi guys, ordered some of those bulbs and they came today, spent about ten minutes fitting and took some piccies, you can see the comparison, from dull orange to bright white. Much nicer, and still dimms! Just done the interior for now, will possibly do some more at a later date. Sorry for the poor quality.

uploaded/2685/1185317931.jpg

uploaded/2685/1185318010.jpg

uploaded/2685/1185318041.jpg

Looking Back
uploaded/2685/1185318087.jpg

Looking Forward
uploaded/2685/1185318110.jpg

Kieran
25-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Drool! Mehinks I need some of these!:afro:

I-S
25-07-2007, 08:30 AM
K - There's different types - these are the multi-led ones. If you get single 1W LED ones they may be brighter. I'll talk to you about them at the weekend.

Kieran
25-07-2007, 09:09 AM
K - There's different types - these are the multi-led ones. If you get single 1W LED ones they may be brighter. I'll talk to you about them at the weekend.

Righto!

phosty
25-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Hmmn I got the single element LEDS for the interior (didn't read the links above closely enough).

1pc 31mm 3022 3175 High Power LED (White) Festoon Bulb

They seem pretty bright - and the delay / dim feature works too. But are they brighter than the 9 element bulbs?

1pc 31mm 3022 3175 9 LED (Xenon White) Festoon Bulb

I didn't realise there were two types - and I only ordered 4 of the single element type so .... I will get the 9 element one for the rear light and compare.

I-S
25-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Phosty - the single element may well be brighter. The 9 LED parts use 5mm LEDs, which are very limited in power output by their plastic packaging. High power LEDS (1W+) have back contacts which allow significant heat transfer out of them (Yes, LEDs still get hot even though they're much more efficient than filaments) and allow MUCH brighter chips - easily more than 9 5mm LEDs. 1W LEDs leave seriously strong after-images... 3W and 5W LEDs have health and safety implications - do you remember seeing burning magnesium at school in chemistry? They're sort of like that but brighter.

Nice But
03-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Just to resurrect an old post........ I'm putting together a spreadsheet of all the bulbs on the car for reference. Does anyone know what bulbs are used for the map lights on a car with the sunroof. I havn't got round to ripping mine apart yet.

TIA

n13l pm
03-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Just to resurrect an old post........ I'm putting together a spreadsheet of all the bulbs on the car for reference. Does anyone know what bulbs are used for the map lights on a car with the sunroof. I havn't got round to ripping mine apart yet.

TIA

There that same as the two rear corner ones, dome 31mm.

Nice But
04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks, I know what to order LED wise now........ those were the 2 I havn't dismantled yet.

HMG1K
03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I am stumped with changing my front side-lights to LEDs.

Just back from the Motor Show and bought new LEDs for my sidelights - the guy tested them for me on a battery and they worked. Now trying them on the car they DON'T work!!!

I've tried swapping the bulbs around in their holders and no luck. I changed my interior LEDs earlier this year with no hassles.

Are our cars different - as in the positive isn't on the bulb's base but on the side pins and the negative on the base?

If so how can I solve this - or get the correct bulbs for the reversed postive-negative feeds on the bulbs.

Thnaks in advance

phosty
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
HMG1K, I had a similar issue - but it was when swapping headlight units between my legnums. Somehow the polarity was different between the cars? Maybe it was the previous owner (who had installed expensive Belloff LEDs with inline resistors) had swapped them but I found I had to reverse the polarity on my sidelights to get them to work. I just cut off the connector plug on the back of the headlight unit and crimped bullet connectors on both sides of the cut wires enabling me to swap polarity as I need.

HMG1K
04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
HMG1K, I had a similar issue - but it was when swapping headlight units between my legnums. Somehow the polarity was different between the cars? Maybe it was the previous owner (who had installed expensive Belloff LEDs with inline resistors) had swapped them but I found I had to reverse the polarity on my sidelights to get them to work. I just cut off the connector plug on the back of the headlight unit and crimped bullet connectors on both sides of the cut wires enabling me to swap polarity as I need.

Thanks Phosty :happy:

Sounds complicated and something I'd balls up - is it a quick job? May get the auto-elec guy who wiring my front-turn lamps to do this job. What do you think? :inquisiti

N9nebar
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM
slightly off topic, but i just replaced the highbeams with halfords rally bulbs 100w
, is there any issues i should be aware of......? if there isn't i'd recommend them they light up the whole street, i know they say they're for "off-road use only" but its the high beam.
And just to keep on topic i had a multi-colour festoon light in my corolla totally impractical but it entertained the kids ......" look Dad its blue, no its green..... no its red.... its blue again..." hours of fun!!!!

phosty
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
HMG1K - well, it only took me about 7 mins to do the second side, but the first side took me a bit longer as it was the first attempt. You just need a wire cutter/stripper, a crimping tool and 2x male & female bullet connectors (I think I used the small red ones). I just cut the two wires about 1.5 inches from the plug, stripped off about 5-6mm insulation from both sides of both wires and then crimped on the bullet connectors. Then just connect up to suit your polarity requirements.

Before you do it though, just confirm for definate that you do have a polarity issue (and not something simple like a dirty plug connector or bulb holder contacts).

I-S
09-08-2008, 03:04 PM
N9nebar - There's a few issues....

1) Legality. They're not.
2) Heat - they may cause damage to the headlamp housing because it is now having to deal with twice as much heat.
3) Electrical - demanding twice as much current may cause arcing in switches/relays, as well as overheating wiring and blowing fuses. Bernmc suffered significant issues with 100W bulbs.

Turbo_Steve
09-08-2008, 05:06 PM
And to append: lens age. Isaac mentions the housing will be dealing with more heat, but if yours have plastic lenses then they will be dealing with more UV and Infrared with a 100w filament bulb. As it's a clear lens, the UV is unlikely to do all that much damage, though it will gradually frost and age the plastic whilst the infrared (effectively the sheer heat of the bulb) is likely to gradually turn the lens brown.

If you're going to be illegal, you'd do better to fit HIDs: very narrowband light output (fair bit of UV, almost no Infra red) and massive numbers of lumens.

Have them in my foglights, and they allow me to turn off the headlamps completely in fog (which is how foglights should be used: shining "under" the fog at the road, instead of illuminating it).

Turbo_Steve
29-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Anyone know what type of bulb goes in the VR-4 MAP lights (not the front festoon light, but the little highly focussed ones). It's the round glass envelope with wire contacts at the bottom. The problem is going to be that I would like an LED version with the LED at 90degrees to the fitting, instead of pointing straight forward....anyone seen anything like this?

phosty
30-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Not sure which light you mean Steve? Where is it located?

HMG1K
30-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Not sure which light you mean Steve? Where is it located?

It's the map reading lights among the front courtsey lights - I think you only got these if you have a sunroof... My 6G had map reading lights and they were fab, but I haven't got them on my 8G as it hasn't a sunroof. /Grrr

ANTHONY
30-11-2008, 08:58 PM
It's the map reading lights among the front courtsey lights - I think you only got these if you have a sunroof... My 6G had map reading lights and they were fab, but I haven't got them on my 8G as it hasn't a sunroof. /Grrryep i need those as well, what ones are they?

HMG1K
30-11-2008, 09:26 PM
yep i need those as well, what ones are they?

Stupid - I know - but have you checked the handbook? I know it mentions about bulbs in there... it may do for the interiors too :thinking:

Turbo_Steve
30-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Handbook? On a jap import? It probably says, but I wouldn't understand it, would I? :D

HMG1K
30-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Handbook? On a jap import? It probably says, but I wouldn't understand it, would I? :D

Ah! Didn't realise you had one in Japanese!/pan

Turbo_Steve
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Something about honouring the care of glass, fitment is not to be dreamt upon those who dwell without (outside) the interconnectedness of the star.

Perhaps it's telling me to go to a dealer? :)

alendil
07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
hi is any one know what bulb is going to lighter v and globox