PDA

View Full Version : Service question

MGV6
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
When a car manufacturer says 12000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first for servicing, lets say your car was registered in Sept 2004 and currently has done 10,800 miles on the clock BUT hasn't been serviced to date.

Is that a bad thing to do? Its still under 12,000 miles but its been almost 3 years since last serviced.

What consequences does this have on the car?

Wodjno
06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
When a car manufacturer says 12000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first for servicing, lets say your car was registered in Sept 2004 and currently has done 10,800 miles on the clock BUT hasn't been serviced to date.

Is that a bad thing to do? Its still under 12,000 miles but its been almost 3 years since last serviced.

If it's under warranty then you would need to service it as specced.. But i always just go by mileage :D

Nutter_John
06-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Gurj you have posted the answer to your question in your post

12,000 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner , means that if you hit either then it is due for a service .

From what does it do to the car , depends on what oil you have and how much use of the car ( given that it has done 10,000 miles in 3 years i would say very little use )

I would recommend that you get the engine oil flushed and put some good stuff in but still change the oil every 12 months .

Paul Beazer
06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Agreed, it probably wont do any harm, but i only do 6k a year and i always change the oil and filters yearly. Lots of short runs tend to muck up the oil so it wont do any harm to change it.

MGV6
06-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Gurj you have posted the answer to your question in your post

12,000 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner , means that if you hit either then it is due for a service ..

I know but the bit I wasn't originally sure of is even if I go past 12 months providing its under 12,000 miles its not necessary to service it at the 12 month point as Mitsui are saying "whichever comes first". In this case the 12 months comes first but its still under 12,000 miles meaning its not necessary?

Nutter_John
06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
No the statement is

Have you done 12,000 miles since your last service - yes or no
was you last service more than 12 months ago - yes or no

If yes to either then service if not then don't

Kieran
06-02-2007, 04:58 PM

One of the consequences is people running a mile with their arms flapping when they spot a 3 year gap in the service history when you come to sell it!

I hope you're not talking about your V6 here?!

Nick Mann
06-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Errr.... It says whichever comes first? Now I would probably be a bit naughty here too if it were my car, but fundamentally it is whichever comes first.

If 12000 miles comes before 12 months can you ignore the mileage and wait for the 12 months? /pan So why can you ignore the time if the mileage is low?

Like Kieran says, if you need history to keept he value of the car, don't hesitate. If its an old banger thats worth nowt then do as you please!

steve190
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Warranty company/manufacturer won't honour any warranty that states "12000 or 12 months, which ever comes sooner" and it hasn't been done for 36 months.
And any buyer will question a 3 year gap between services, regardless of the mileage.
I do less than 4000 miles per year in mine but i still get it serviced yearly as per log book.

MGV6
06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
One of the consequences is people running a mile with their arms flapping when they spot a 3 year gap in the service history when you come to sell it!

I hope you're not talking about your V6 here?!

No not my V6, its actually for a car that I was looking to buy. He has never serviced it because he says it has low mileage. Car is 3 years old.

Nutter_John
06-02-2007, 09:01 PM
walk away and don't look back

stuartturbo
06-02-2007, 09:04 PM
the trouble is that odds on the car has been used on short runs which recks the oil
Also the oil is recommed to be chaged on a time basis is because like brake fluid it absorbs water?

Kieran
06-02-2007, 10:11 PM
And all kinds of other crap from the engine - like fuel vapor/blowby which is extremely acidic!

Gurj - John's advice is spot on. Imagine the car's got the clap!

MGV6
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I think you guys are right. The price of the vehicle is low but I had wondered why for a while and I can see why now. I know the vehicle is new but who knows what has happened to it unless of course I was a qualified mechanic :)

Exbury
08-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Somethings I always advocate, an average well used car is often better than a low miler, although things like leather and carpets may not wear out as much, you have problems with;
Short runs may mean a lot of engine wear and tear.
Oil changes - oil absorbs water and breaks down, replace annually minimum.
Seals wear out as lubricants do not pass over them as much, especially on aircon systems
Discs, handbrakes and callipers can start seizing and rusting up.
Exhaust systems wear out faster.
Often the car suffers from excessive moisture inside the car and can lead to excessive corrosion on terminals leadings to electrics dying.
Dirt held but not cleaned out of wheel arches etc can lead to faster corrosion.
Etc. Etc

Not always though, there are exceptions to the rule and this is from a personal experience.....