PDA

View Full Version : brakes question

stokerdognz
07-02-2007, 06:51 AM
my leggie - 2.5 lt non turbo has new pads and rotors fitted to comply with nz laws i guess , problem ( if it is one ) is that it squeals when i apply the brakes , but stops when i put the brakes on hard , all the rotors have a smooth glazed look on them , is that normal or do my rotors need broken in or are the pad compound too hard??

bradc
07-02-2007, 07:41 AM
It's a bit difficult to say, does it sound like it is coming from all 4 corners? It could just be a combination of rotor and pad that is causing the problem

You See
07-02-2007, 07:53 AM
What kinda pads and rotors have you got on it?
Are the rotors grooved? ...sometimes this could be the cause of squeals. ;)

Nick Mann
07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
The two main causes are hard pad compounds (like you say) and badly fitted or lack of anti-squeel shims.

There are plenty of other reasons! If you brake hard a couple of times and then brake gently, does that help? If it does, then it would suggest that heat in the pads cures the problem, so put up with it, or get softer pads!

Physician
07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, as Nick intimates ........... firsty try to 'bed them in' (as if they were new pads).

Find a quiet road and get up to speed and brake hard to a stop about three times. Then drive at 20/30 'ish mph for a mile or so with the brakes JUST on so that you are 'skimming' the pad surface.

If that doesn't cure it then other issues are at work.

stokerdognz
08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
wicked thanks team , brakes and rotors seem to be jus standard items , new but just nz safety approved obviously , brakes havent cut much of a groove yet , prolly just need the heat and a bit of bedding in as you say . will go for a blat with the loud pedal and see what happens.