PDA

View Full Version : Hug for K

Alex
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Just had a phone call from K - he's stuck in traffic about 7 miles from home, and hasn't moved in 10 mins. The gritter obviously hasn't been anywhere near the road, and the snows continuing to fall.

Reckons he's going to be VERY late. He's going to call me every half hour with an update. Hopefully Skarloey won't pick tonight to throw a wobbly....

ANTHONY
09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
CD and radio time then

Spirit
09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Hope he manages to keep warm.......is he anywhere close to shops etc to get a hot drink ?

Alex
09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Just spoke to him again, and he managed to fight his way to the motorway - I guess sometimes you have to go back to go forwards....

Hopefully the A38 will be quite clear, and then there's only 2 more roads to fight down to get home.

Now that he's made to the motorway I'm not quite so worried.

Funkstar
09-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Does this mean we can talk about him, since he's not around.

Don't you lot just hate the way he's always right. And that anal obsesivness he has with cleaning his car, whats that all about etc, etc, etc. /pan

Alex
09-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Excellent - Kieran baiting. My favourite sport! /STP

I-S
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Poor K... Still snowing here... today has been the first significant snow we've had here, but it's been snowing constantly but fairly lightly since about 2pm. My road isn't gritted and is on a slope, and seems people are having trouble getting up the road.

Hope he gets home ok to something nice and warm.

ANTHONY
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
just had a problem getting down my garden owing to the snow. i hope he gets home to you soon Alex

bernmc
09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
just had a problem getting down my garden owing to the snow. i hope he gets home to you soon Alex

/lol

Had a nightmare getting home myself, although not as bad as Kellogs boy by the sounds of it.

Was getting a bit grumpy about my theatre list running late (as usual - every flippin' friday) when at 6pm people started coming in saying all the roads around the hospital were gridlocked- people couldn't even get off site. Taxi companies had stopped running, so throngs of patients/relatives were wandering about quietly fuming (no change there then).

Fortunately by 7pm when we were done (finally :|) people had just given up and parked by the side of the road and gone to the local pub. I had a reasonably clear run - couple of nutcases driving up my arse every now and then - but I made plodding progress through several inches of snow and sludge. Fortunately most of my trip is tiny little back roads, which everyone seems to have been too scared to travel on - I suspect they were probably some of the safest spots to be today /yes.

Just glad to be home. Got to face it all again at 7am tomorrow though :(

Hope you get your husband back soon (even if he did nick my banannas!)

SGHOM
09-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Took me nearly 3 hours to get back from scumchester. from Glossop to home, I dont think my tyres touched tarmac ! :thinking: obviously the gritters are holed up due to the bad weather? /Grrr /Grrr
Cant see me making stoke in the morning if this continues...... as is forecast. :speechles

Kieran
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Back safe and sound! Thanks for the comments guys! :iloveyou:

Home in 2 hours and 45 mins! Normally takes me about 40mins! :inquisiti

Daft as it sounds, a pleasant journey back apart from getting snarled up - this was caused by all the motorists avoiding the motorway at Jct 27 (M1) and crossing over to the A60 (my usual road)... Even though the motorway was the most passable road of the lot! :speechles

It was interesting being in Skarloey - he was actually very, very well behaved and only slithered about when made to! /Devil5

I agree with Bernmc - The back lanes were blanket snow with only a few people slithering about. But they were the safest of the lot. I was the only car on them for several miles and with an average speed of 15mph, there was plenty of grip.

It was interesting from a personal perspective as that's the first time I've done a 'long' journey in really bad road conditions. And I didn't really find it that bad. However, I suspect there will be several conversations in houses/pubs/forums about a little Golf that was chugging along at no more than 25mph on a 60 limit... How dare I drive within my own and the car's capability when there's a good half-inch of snow on the roads! /pan

It's surprising how a little inclement weather brings out the worst in people. Some very.... 'Interesting' attitudes being displayed - no road rage per-se, but certainly some people who were being overrulled by the homing instinct and forgetting the trouble they could find themselves in!

I was also supprised how slow the highways agency were to react. There's a big gritting depot just off Jct. 27 that covers our area. Now, according to Alex, it had been snowing in north Notts most of the day... And none of the roads were gritted. And we're talking the main roads and dual carridgeways - I was taken aback by the tardiness of them - just as I approached the M1 a lorry came past heading the other way - Not that he could do much, within a minute he would have reached the tailbacks. Can't do much gritting when you're stood still!

Enjoyable as the journey was (and I do mean that, I did find it quite relaxing just chugging along, well apart from the traffic jams!), it's good to be home.

Now if you'll excuse me, Alex tells me that several tins of beer have been seen lurking in the fridge... I must do my duty and consume them! :happy: :chugchug:

Oh... And one final thought.... It's nice to see a full forum tonight. Glad everyone else is home and dry too! /yes

BraindG
09-02-2007, 10:19 PM
K, did you have warm clothes, a thermos, and a spade in your car?

Spirit
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Good to hear you're back safe and sound K :pimp2:

I-S
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Yesterday I put warm clothes and stuff in the car just in case... of course then I forgot my wallet and phone.

Kieran
09-02-2007, 10:31 PM
K, did you have warm clothes, a thermos, and a spade in your car?

I had my big waterproof winter jacket, toe tector boots, spare fleece, 40 piece toolkit, anti-freeze, screenwash and a spare gallon of diesel in the boot, so I have some provisions. Oh, and I had a brush for dealing with snow on the car and Ariadne's old de-cat pipe rattling around in the passenger footwell for bashing any would-be carjackers! /lol

Funnily enough I was thinking on the way back (especially when snarled up in the queues) that I need to bolster the winter kit with a spade, some snow chains and maybe a rat pack. Okay, I know it's a bit late this year, but this evening did make me think that if I did have to abort the journey and sit it out (I wouldn't abandon the car if I could help it!) I would've been very hungry and thirsty by the end of it!

BraindG
09-02-2007, 10:35 PM
exactly, having been stuck in snowdifts in euro i know whats needed to get by, on the other hand ive also been stuck here in britain unprepared. difference between having something to move snow, and not makes a big difference.

hopefully it wont last much longer.

Funkstar
09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Glad to hear your home safe K. Now get yourself warmed up and get those tinnies down your kneck.

Kieran
09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Glad to hear your home safe K. Now get yourself warmed up and get those tinnies down your kneck.

I'm there! :chugchug:

BraindG
09-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm there! :chugchug:
:afro: /woot2 /woot2

Lillywotsername
10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Pleased you got home alright K.... Sorry didn't get on the pc much last night so just read the thread.

Alex
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I had Ariadne's old de-cat pipe rattling around in the passenger footwell for bashing any would-be carjackers! /lol

I see - that's why it's there is it?? I knew you'd have sort of explanation lined up /pan

pitslayer
10-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Kieran all you want is to take Ariadne out get her drifting and really dirty and covered in traffic film and salt :)