PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem

mattpage
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I've been having a problem with the power steering like I posted on the snow thread, well a few more things have happened and would appreciate opinions.

I drove the car today, and it was fine at speed >20mph, but a bugger to manouver, but I could cope with it.
During a drive today the steering got even heavier, this was after a pretty sharp left hand turn. Not quite full lock, but not far off. Now the steering is super heavy.

I had thought the pump was at fault, but now as its got worse I'm not sure?
I added some fluid just to make sure it wasnt that, after a short drive there was some fluid seeping was the cap (overflow) and the nice bright red of the new stuff was now a reddy brown, so the fluid is mixing. Does this indicate the fluid is being pumped? I've checked all the pipes and I'm getting no leaks from the PAS system.

The belt is intact, as I dont think its slipping. Could it be something else at fault? Something in the steering mechanism? An electrical fault?
Any ideas on what might be causing it? I'm hoping that the snow will melt tommorow so I can get under the car for a decent look so would appreciate any ideas so I can look into them.

Sorry for the essay /pan :mask:

richy rich
09-02-2007, 09:21 PM
i did the same thing a few days after getting the vr4, got it sorted though waranty and they said they changed the rack.

i think it will be internal seals in the stearing rack.

stuartturbo
09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
the pump may have scrubbed out.
worn all the sealing faces of the metal this can happen if high revs on full lock as pump get no fresh fluid an it boils breaking down the lubrication in the pump.
the type mitsi use are flat vane and are not that robust compared to roller vane.

or the flow control valve may have stuck closed so there is flow but not enough.

mattpage
11-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Well some wierdness is going on..
I risked it and drove back to cardiff. I was really worried that it was going to be the rack. I just wouldn't of been able to afford to repair that. I'm happy now that its not the rack.

After about 12 miles I had powersteering over 40mph, then after another 20 miles or so I had power above 20, and a bit later I had power full time.
So unless anyone can suggest different I'm thinking that whatever controls the amount of power at certain speeds is at fault (is this the flow control valve?)

Maybe the snow/damp/cold caused it to do something? Either way I'll look into it and get it replaced.

Physician
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Aha Matt .......... hold on as I MAY know which part that is :inquisiti

Physician
11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Darn........ thought I had a photo of the part.

There are two 'pressure' switches/sensors that I know of.

1] Is actually on the pump side itself (a bronze nut affair)

2] Is part of one of the pipes that leads from/to the pump towards the bulkhead.

I may be able to photo it tomorrow.

richy rich
12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
probable this 1 then part number MR223905

Physician
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
probable this 1 then part number MR223905

That's it rich ....... well done buddy. The ACTUAL sensor can be seen incorporated on that piping - it's the verticle 'cylinder' shaped piece immediately to the left of the number 48996C (not the small screw, the number itself).

mattpage
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Yep I had a look under the bonnet and suspected it was that.
Any idea if its a big job to fix?

Physician
12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Yep I had a look under the bonnet and suspected it was that.
Any idea if its a big job to fix?

I believe you need to replace the whole pipe unit. I guess half an hour to do it, however, they can be a bitch to get the nuts undone and that pipe is easily fractured.

mattpage
13-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Ordered the part today. Hope its the right one, as the dealer wasn't convinced that the pipe and valve are one peice.

I trust you lot more than them.. dont let me down as I can't get a refund :D