PDA

View Full Version : V6 Slug

scc
09-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, after 2 couple of days of cold weather, my V6 feels really really sluggish, no omph in it at all.

Might be time for a major tune up.

Anyone found their V6 not so perky from time to time?

cheers,
scc

Kieran
09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Can't say my car ever felt like that - No error codes? Funny idle? Rough running? I know a couple of V6 owners have reported that the dizzy (well, not a old-skool dizzy but you know what I mean!) on the car sometimes gets damp - I think Don and Paul Beazer have had this?

How many miles has it done? Is it near one of the belt and plug services?

MGV6
09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
My V6 has been siting on the road for the past 5 days in extreme cold weather, I started it today and running sweet. Its 6 years old as well :) However, I used to own a 1993 GLSi Galant a year ago and it used to have regular problems in the cold. I think the 1997+ models seem to cope better in extreme conditions.

scc
09-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Can't say my car ever felt like that - No error codes? Funny idle? Rough running? I know a couple of V6 owners have reported that the dizzy (well, not a old-skool dizzy but you know what I mean!) on the car sometimes gets damp - I think Don and Paul Beazer have had this?

How many miles has it done? Is it near one of the belt and plug services?

It's done 95K miles, and needs a wheel bearing replaced.

It doesn't feel rough...just occasionally hestitant as if it's not receiving enough gas on acceleration. And a few times today I went on some uphill roads, and it struggled...gearbox didn't even bother to kick down, and it seemed to lose momentum - which annoyed me like crazy. The problem might be my right foot?:thinking:

Was thinking to do the plugs if it's easy enough a job..../help

Cheers,
scc

BraindG
09-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Was thinking to do the plugs if it's easy enough a job..../help

Cheers,
scc

easy enough tbh, theres an article about it in the articles forum. Job should only take about 30 minutes.

Paul Beazer
12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
easy enough tbh, theres an article about it in the articles forum. Job should only take about 30 minutes.
Plugs? 30 mins? Hmm more like an hour by the time you've unplugged everything!

The disi's can get a bit crapped up over time. I usually give mine a clean up about once a year. Moisture can be a problem in any car. Try an spray sealant like damp start once you cleaned up all the plug leads etc.
Take each lead off and make sure its clean and dry. Does it tick over ok? Check all your hoses are attached properly. Is the air filter nice and clean and dry?
Might be worth adding some injector cleaner to your next tankful as well. Certainly wont do any harm.

scc
14-02-2007, 07:53 PM
She's back to normal now, and better than ever....I've been driving around in Tip mode and retrained it. The auto option is now quite perky!

Yes. I have been driving around like a grandad recently!

cheers,
scc

Kieran
14-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Glad that's all it is. Yes, the self-learning aspect is a bit TOO good at times!

psbarham
14-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Glad that's all it is. Yes, the self-learning aspect is a bit TOO good at times!
no its not , its **** , i did a reset the other weekend and have in manual mode to teach it what to do , 30mph needs to be second , changing down when the throttle is shut , so coming home from doing the shopping /Grrr tonight , i thought its had long enough I'll stick it in D , bearing in mind I'm in a 30 limit doing 28 , first thing it does change up to 4th /pan fecking w@nky stupid inbred gearbox /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr why have a learning mode if its inherently thick ? well feck it ,the first opportunity i get its gone

Paul Beazer
15-02-2007, 08:49 AM
why have a learning mode if its inherently thick ? well feck it ,the first opportunity i get its gone

Why have an autobox then? Laaaayyyyzzzzzeeeeboy!

psbarham
15-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Why have an auto box then? Laaaayyyyzzzzzeeeeboy!
its not the auto box thats the problem , its the fcuk witted computer thats controlling it thats peeing me off .

Wodjno
15-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Grrr tonight , i thought its had long enough I'll stick it in D , bearing in mind I'm in a 30 limit doing 28 , first thing it does change up to 4th /pan fecking w@nky stupid inbred gearbox /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

At what Throttle percentage ??

psbarham
15-02-2007, 09:22 PM
At what Throttle percentage ??
dunno what ever 30 in 2nd works out as , about 2.5-3 k i guess holding the same throttle and speed ,it changes up /pan i don't want or need 3rd or 4th round towns , i prefer to stay in 2nd and let the engine braking do the work (plus it sounds really cool on overrun :pimp2: )

Wodjno
15-02-2007, 09:36 PM
dunno what ever 30 in 2nd works out as , about 2.5-3 k i guess holding the same throttle and speed ,it changes up /pan i don't want or need 3rd or 4th round towns , i prefer to stay in 2nd and let the engine braking do the work (plus it sounds really cool on overrun :pimp2: )
It will never hold 2nd, no matter how much you try and change it !!

Once you exceed a the minimum RPM that the ECU will allow the gearbox to change up to the the next gear, it will do it automatically(if you are holding only light throttle)

If you want to keep it in 2nd ??? Then leave it in Tip /pan