PDA

View Full Version : Correct tyre size for 2.4 GDI

Rambaud
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Yesterday, I bought a Galant 2.4GDI GLS Auto (2000 "W" Reg) as a runabout for my Dad - but I was also interest in how frugal the GDI engine might be.

Current tyres are 195x 60 x 15, but a search on tyre-shopper.co.uk says 205 x60 x 15.

Which is correct?

[Even paid my £20.00 for Club membership :) ]

Nick Mann
10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I thikn standard fit is 195, but 205 can also be used. My first V6 had the 15" multispoke wheels and they came with 195 width. I changed to 205 width and found increased grip, better handling & ride and reduced road noise. (Pirelli P6000's off and Firestone somethings on - could have been firehawks?)

IIRC there is a sticker inside of the drivers door on the bodywork telling you the pressures each size requires.

Bear in mind that your speedo must be more inaccurate with one size than the other - although I am unaware as to which size tyre reads more correctly. You will be travelling faster for the same speedo reading on the 205 width, assuming you stay with the same profile.

Rambaud
10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Nick.

I shall check in the morrning.

bradc
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1253

If they are this style of wheel you are supposed to run 195's on them according to mitsi.

IMHO though if you're really serious about keeping it down on the road you would change to something like 225/50/16 or 225/45/17.

pitslayer
11-02-2007, 01:02 AM
lol thats my blue one lol.....pics are crap on it
heres a better pic of the same style wheels(did them myself)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/pitslayer/AAAA0022-2.jpg

Rambaud
11-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Nick,

You are spot on.

Both sizes (195 and 205) can be used - I suspect the smaller is the standard fit, as it is likely to be cheaper (~ 10%?). Although the speedo will be slightly out with one of them - the 205?

In theory, the pros and cons are :

1. 195 should give better acceleration.
2. 205 should have a higher top speed.
3. 205 should give a more comfortable ride.
4. 205 might give slightly better handling.

However, IMHO, it is most unlikely that the differences will be noticeable in normal day to day driving. I would expect greater differences from choice of tyre manufacturer, than size alone.

Bradc,

I am sure you're right - but the extra cost for larger wheels and lower profile tyres is not worth the expense - the 2.4.GDI is not that type of car. :)

Now when I get a VR4 later on this year (hopefully)....................

bradc
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Rubbish, I had a 1.8 GDI and it handled great with good quality 215/45/17's on it, in fact it handled better than my purple VR-4 did when I first got it with real **** tyres on the rear. Every car is worth good tyres, although if you're only keeping it for less than a year it mightn't be worth bothering about.

Rambaud
11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=bradc Every car is worth good tyres, although if you're only keeping it for less than a year it mightn't be worth bothering about.[/QUOTE]

That I can agree with. :)

The current tyres are Maxxis, fitted about 2 years and 20,000 miles ago.

I have never heard of them - seem more of motorcycle tyre manufacturer. from the budget end of the scale at ~ £30 each, I think?

Probably fit some Goodyear F1s - but seen some good ratings for the Avon ZV3. Any recommendations or comments?

Kenneth
11-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Rubbish, I had a 1.8 GDI and it handled great with good quality 215/45/17's on it, in fact it handled better than my purple VR-4 did when I first got it with real **** tyres on the rear. Every car is worth good tyres, although if you're only keeping it for less than a year it mightn't be worth bothering about.

tyre compound is more important than width. I would go 205 55 R16 on a GDI max. that would give plenty of grip while maintaining reasonable fuel economy.

The more rubber that has contact with the ground, the more effort your engine needs to use to overcome the friction... in other words, fuel economy.

Rambaud
12-02-2007, 12:46 AM
tyre compound is more important than width. I would go 205 55 R16 on a GDI max. that would give plenty of grip while maintaining reasonable fuel economy.

The more rubber that has contact with the ground, the more effort your engine needs to use to overcome the friction... in other words, fuel economy.

Kenneth,

True.

But, IIRC, the amount of rubber on the road (contact area/patch) is merely a function of the weight of the car and tyre pressure,broadly speaking.

The width and aspect ratio changes the shape of the contact area.

Kenneth
12-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Kenneth,

True.

But, IIRC, the amount of rubber on the road (contact area/patch) is merely a function of the weight of the car and tyre pressure,broadly speaking.

The width and aspect ratio changes the shape of the contact area.

That is true, and it is very important that your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure to ensure the correct contact area is present. failure to do so will result (for under inflation) in increased wear (possibly blow-out as the temperature will rise faster than usual) and decreased fuel economy.

pitslayer
12-02-2007, 04:53 AM
dont all non VR4s come with 15"s thow

bradc
12-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Some came with 14's, 15's, 16's and some UK spec cars had 17's as well

Rambaud
12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
That is true, and it is very important that your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure to ensure the correct contact area is present. failure to do so will result (for under inflation) in increased wear (possibly blow-out as the temperature will rise faster than usual) and decreased fuel economy.

Yup.

I shall be checking the pressures today :

Front = 2.2bar (32 psi)

Rear = 2.0bar (30 psi)

kookie
28-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I stand corrected,but would it not put a little more pressure on the power steering with 205s

Kieran
28-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I stand corrected,but would it not put a little more pressure on the power steering with 205s

Yes it would - however I doubt this would be harmful - some of the Jap-spec non-VR-4s came with 205-section tyres (Legnum ST-R and Viento Type-X I think) from the factory, and I imagine these would use the same power steering pump and rack as the rest. Same with the UK-Spec sports, they came with 215 section tyres, but standard V6-24 running gear.