PDA

View Full Version : v6 sport performance mods - have you upped the bhp onyours?

Bal
11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
just wondering if anyones succesfully upped the power on their cars?

psbarham
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
gained an easy 20bhp with 2 clubvr4 stickers :thinking:
i am seriously considering an e-manage or map ecu for mine along with a few other bits and bobs

Wouter
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
If you are after a V6 to cut fuel costs, the last thing you want to do is mad the thing!

As soon as you started modding it, you loose economy! You would then be better off keeping the VR4 and LPGing it!

Kieran
11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
As soon as you started modding it, you loose economy!

That's not always the case. Iboots and myself had similar modifications - Exhaust, Decat and panel/pod filter. My Apexi RSM calculated around 180bhp just from that, and Iboots had his rolling roaded at a similar figure (think a tad higher). This was with no discernable loss of fuel economy or driveability.

Bal
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
all im saying is if it's possible to get near the 200bhp mark with a v6 then why not.

i know what you're saying wouter but it's the missus that has a say as well.

Kieran
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I think to squeeze 200bhp out of it would be a mission unless you thought about forced induction - I'd say you'd need to think about exhaust & induction and also remapping it, but it would be possible if you have the time/cash.

BTW - the V6 you test drove... Was it an auto or a manual? Reason I ask is that the manuals are *significantly* quicker than the autos.

Bal
11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
it was a manual. very quiet very refined and it was nice. but not quite what im after. i really felt claustrophobic in it.

my mate said to me ages ago, once you had a vr4 nothing will be good enoguh ... he was right lol.

a lesson to us all .....

Paul Beazer
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Im guessing it wasnt what you were after?

No moonroof then?

ritch_w
13-02-2007, 08:40 AM
the fella in germany that does the N'ring in a V6 estate - "Twist" (?) has about 200bhp, think hes done the usual stuff - exhaust, induction etc but also Cams too.....

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 12:59 PM
claustrophobic??

I feel like I'm driving the starship enterprise compared to my VR6 golf! :D

Go for a chip, a manual, and panel filter, with freeflowing exhaust. It will help bhp and economy as you can a) choose your revs with the manual, and b) give bette rlow down torque so MPG is better.

Paul Beazer
13-02-2007, 01:15 PM
claustrophobic??

I feel like I'm driving the starship enterprise compared to my VR6 golf! :D

Go for a chip, a manual, and panel filter, with freeflowing exhaust. It will help bhp and economy as you can a) choose your revs with the manual, and b) give bette rlow down torque so MPG is better.
How do you find the galant compared to the Golf VR6 in terms of performance? Presumably it's slower than the golf? How about the handling? More barge like im guessing?

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 02:27 PM
The Golf is a lot more punchy, it feels faster, probably IS faster, but takes a year to warm up so MPG is lame if you do less than 20miles.
The engines power delivery is stronger for sure, but I'm comparing agains the automatic. The Galant is heavier also.

The difference overall is:

The Golf is cramped in comparison and less luxury
Drinks fuel all day especially if slightly out of tune, you cant get over 26mpg in winter driving like a granny.
Accelerates hard, 2nd gear goes to 60mph,
Scary overtaking in the wet as it can wheelspin when you pull out and plant your foot hard. When you're upto speed the power is obvious.
Cant launch from standstill in the wet, it just wheelspins up to 4th
Handling's not great as the power makes it break loose of grip. I hear better tyres and suspension can help.
You feel the speed, and punchy mid range makes passengers feel the power.
Would probably get me killed if I drove it constantly for more than a month, it wants to always GO, but when it does you kinda wish it hadn't!

The galant makes you feel special
In auto mode makes me drive more sensibly
Doesnt drink all day if you dont tell it to, great on motorways, love the cruise control.
Doesnt accelerate as hard all the time, but you can make it if you want
Launches from the line if you want it to with no wheelspin and promptly. I think the computer anticipates this because if you hover your foot on the pedal at the lights it launches quickly - caught me out a few times
Engine sounds more stressed when revved, you only hear the exhaust note on the VR6, sounds tinny at 3-4k but sounds amazing after 4k!
Handles much better than the golf in terms of fast road driving due to size, you can look down at the speedo and not realise you are doing 80+ on a country pass, you'd be sweating in the VR6. The length gives stability as found if you buy a Vento VR6 (golf with a boot).

Overall, I was glad I didnt go for another VR6. you can definately get upto speed quicker in the VR6, but the Galant makes driving effortless, the missus shopping trips don't seem half as bad (until you see the bill!) and theres plenty of power there if you ever need it. As with any V6, you're always holding yourself back from accelerating, not the car.

lboots
13-02-2007, 09:53 PM
On my quest for power the rolling road print says 182 bhp,:baby: but that was running using 95ron petrol, and blowing de-cat pipe, /pan i,ll try and find a bit more this year, i think i seen something down my garage that might help?:speechles ?????????:3d:

Rikki
14-02-2007, 09:26 AM
^^ My aim is to get the car to about 200 bhp this year as well, whether it happens or not is a different matter.

I could be wrong here, but if the v6 were to get up to about 225 bhp(roughly), it would have the same power to weight ratio as the vr4. I been reading about and noticed there is about 300-400kg difference in car weights. :inquisiti

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I can confirm the Galant, stock, isn't in the same overtaking league as the VR6. This morning it wasn't as swift, and I held back on one occassion where I would have launched in the VR6.

I guess, again, it tames me from being a nutter on the road. Once above 80 though it had a great pull, however I ran out of road at that point, it could do with an extra gear if you ask me

Paul Beazer
14-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I can confirm the Galant, stock, isn't in the same overtaking league as the VR6. This morning it wasn't as swift, and I held back on one occassion where I would have launched in the VR6.

I guess, again, it tames me from being a nutter on the road. Once above 80 though it had a great pull, however I ran out of road at that point, it could do with an extra gear if you ask me

If its not bouncing off the limiter, why add another gear? The peak torque develops around 4.5k rpm. The engine is pretty torquey anyway so adding another gear would just have you going up and down the box all the time, mind you yours is an auto isnt it? You could always try using the tip mode and dropping down a gear (or two!)

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Thats my point exactly. The auto doesnt go above 3.5k in normal use, kickdown goes higher but even though you say power is best at 4.5ish the revs often climb the current gear opposed to dropping down two cogs to get the oomph. At 55-70 there is a real flat spot where power isnt too strong.

Using gear 3 may help, but i cant use gear 2, it seems locked all the time as a precaution?

AncientOfMu
14-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I can take my V6 all the way to the red line in 2nd....thats about 75...

You know of the button under the accelerator....?

I do also find in my V6 that 4 gears just aint right when you really want to be pushing on.

If I really go for it i find im just revving the n**ts off it all the time. 2nd to 3rd seems to be particularly bad unless you change from 2nd at 6500rpm...

Paul Beazer
14-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Thats my point exactly. The auto doesnt go above 3.5k in normal use, kickdown goes higher but even though you say power is best at 4.5ish the revs often climb the current gear opposed to dropping down two cogs to get the oomph. At 55-70 there is a real flat spot where power isnt too strong.

Using gear 3 may help, but i cant use gear 2, it seems locked all the time as a precaution?

The INVECS II autobox has a learning function that adapts to your own way of driving. To reset this you need to disconnect the battery for a short while (a minute or so). Then the gearbox "re-learns" how you prefer to drive. So if you drive like a nutter on fire then the car learns that you like to cane the engine and changes up high in the revs. If you drive like a grandad after the reset then it'll change up early and potter along. It might help with how the changes gear etc. Quite a clever piece of kit when all said and done!

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 02:44 PM
/Grrr Quite a clever piece of kit when all said and done!

Yup, seems too clever for most of us humans to use it seems!

bradc
14-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Just drive it in tiptronic mode the whole time, it's the best way :)

Slimshady
14-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Mine is nearly at the 200 mark, clocked 194.7 at last years club Dyno day.

I think 200+ is achievable but not sure how to do it without spending lots of cash or wrecking the engine.

NOS would possibly help – from previous calculations I think 250 could be achived but not sure how long the engine would last?????

Any suggestions to put me over 200 cheaply are most welcome.

Slim

pitslayer
18-02-2007, 06:30 PM
so what induction kiys are people running etc to bring it up

Bal
20-02-2007, 06:50 AM
interesting reading all of this ...

Bal
20-02-2007, 06:50 AM
interesting reading all of this ...

Rikki
20-02-2007, 12:55 PM
so what induction kiys are people running etc to bring it up

i dont know whether mine has increased power or not, but increased noise is a sure fire thing :pimp2:

I have a cheapy cone filter from eBay, same as a few on here, but i have mine inside the air box. I did have a couple of extra feeds to it, but once i got it back from Honda after the gearbox repair, they were gone /Grrr so ill make a few more.

Next up is changing the plugs and leads, along with the belts and oil, then Dastek it's ass... fun :5shots:

ritch_w
20-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Next up is changing the plugs and leads, along with the belts and oil, then Dastek it's ass... fun :5shots:

who's doing the dastek Rikki? Star Performance in Fife?

will be interesting to see the out come on that one.

I was told, in 2003, when I put my V6 sport (auto) on the rolling road that the dastek piggy back ecu would sort out fuelling and a few other things to raise the power about 15hp. The v6 sport auto RR'd 138@ wheels - no mods

£500+ seemed a lot for 15hp

You got any prices and indicications of an increase in performance Rikki?

Rikki
20-02-2007, 11:27 PM
nah Ritch i havent properly looked into it, money has been going on holidays rather than the car. I have heard it will cost between 400 and 600 ££'s and the increase will be about 10%, which is why it will be the last mod ill do. Need to get as much power as possible before i send it to dastek.

thats the plan anyways /pan