PDA

View Full Version : Input Shaft Bearing Issue

FNFAST VR4
12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey all, my car started making a strange noise from the engine/gearbox last week which has since been tentatively diagnosed as the input shaft bearing.... I posted on mmc.org.nz asking how much I am up for to replace just this bearing, or alternatively get the entire box rebuilt.... or whether I am just better off to just get a second hand box.

I had a quick look under the bonnet and it appears to have the same code as my flatmates evo 6.5. Are they the same box?

I am also going to get a new clutch while I'm at it as it has had a fault that developed not long after I got it where the clutch would slip for a while, but after a few sharp changes it would go back to normal.... I was told this is most likely a fluid leak? Is there like a common fault that VR4's have like this?

Also just wondering what sort of clutch to get for it. I'd like something a little bit better than standard, but not extreme as at this stage the car is pretty much standard.

Also, where do you guys recommend for getting any gearbox work etc? I can remove and reinstall it myself as I know my way around a socket set... lol

Any advice greatly appreciated :happy:

Nick Mann
12-02-2007, 06:57 PM
THe bellhousing is different to the evos box, but apart from that I am reasonbly sure that the box is the same. Certainly, evo clutches & flywheels fit. As there aren't many manual boxes in VR4's, there isn't much info yet as to which clutch to go for - search the forums and you will some sorts that have been / are going to be tried.

I would say source the bearing and change it. If you don't mind having the box out yourself, it should be an easy job - IIRC the bearing falls in half as you remove the bellhousing from the box anyway.

bradc
12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Apart from Mitsi dealers you could take it to Ralliart in Penrose, they really know their stuff.

FNFAST VR4
15-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the advice there. My car has been in to Ralli Art before for the AYC, and yeah they definitely know their stuff. My flatmates Evo 6.5 went there too as when it came off the transporter from the car yard it had a bent compressor shaft in the turbo! They had it rebuilt in no time.

I might try removing the gearbox this weekend, and see what falls out to greet me, as the noise is definitely getting worse!