PDA

View Full Version : Galant Exhausts?

RugbyPete
12-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I wish there was a mongoose exhaust for the Galant as they are known for being good at power delivery.

Is there a Galant exhaust I can readily order, or is it custom only for us?

I have found an expensive mild steel system but thats about it.... not too keen on magnex either

Nutter_John
12-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Try Camskill or it can sometimes be as cheap to get a custom one made up

n13l pm
12-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I think custom made exhauts is the best way forward, theres a lot of threads on this topic.

Are you going for a twin exit or just the one? Im thinking about a 4" round from both sides, but im still unsure which custom exhaust company to use..

RugbyPete
12-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking of a twin single exit, nothing too big or loud. I want it to look good but not make people shake their head if they see it

I had a custom stainless made up by Peco for the 200sx, it was a crazy sound, like the air itself was being ripped apart, people would look in amazement, it would naturally spit flames too which was nice.

However, I'm not after a 'look at me' I'm wanting a subtle freeflowing system that will look ok and last ages.

I did think those new 'valve' type, as seen on Aston Martins (where I work) are interesting... you get no annoying rumble on tickover or pottering around to annoy the neighbours, but plant your foot and all hell breaks loose.

Paul Beazer
12-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I've been thinking about this for some point in the future too, but i dont want to have to take a hacksaw to my rear bumper to allow it to fit. This only seems to apply to estates as the saloon already have a recess for the rear pipe to fit.
Any thoughts, or is custom the only option?

n13l pm
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
but i dont want to have to take a hacksaw to my rear bumper to allow it to fit. Any thoughts, or is custom the only option?

I know where you coming from mate, if it wasnt for the rear bumper I would of had the exhaust in by now, I too dont want to hacksaw it. The only thing I can think of is to get a rear lip then mod that. :thinking:

RugbyPete
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
heres one for the estate:
http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p/sv_pl.asp?VC=MTGAL01&PTC=EXS09

Nick VR4
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
My custom full Stainless Steel one guaranteed for life wasnt that much more about £270 ish

White Lightning
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I had a custom one made up by Longlife exhausts in Basingstoke for £349. Lifetime guarantee and not a bad price but I am not too happy with it. Firstly, I found out that they did a real bodge job on the connection to the cat which means that the cat cannot be replace easily. They basically cut the pipe and put the new exhaust over the top and then proceeding to weld over the top of the nuts ...

/Grrr

And secondly, the welding is not very good. In fact, it started blowing recently so we had to patch it with Gun Gum. I am going to give them a call and get them to sort it out as soon as I get chance ...

So we will see what there after sales support is like ...

Funkstar
12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I had a custom one made up by Longlife exhausts in Basingstoke for £349. Lifetime guarantee and not a bad price but I am not too happy with it. Firstly, I found out that they did a real bodge job on the connection to the cat which means that the cat cannot be replace easily. They basically cut the pipe and put the new exhaust over the top and then proceeding to weld over the top of the nuts ...

/Grrr

And secondly, the welding is not very good. In fact, it started blowing recently so we had to patch it with Gun Gum. I am going to give them a call and get them to sort it out as soon as I get chance ...

So we will see what there after sales support is like ...

/Grrr That's not good mate. Hopefully, as you say, their after sales support is ok.

I was gonna go down the Longlife route too. Thanks for the heads up.

Pete, caishanvr4 got a full exhaust set up for £300 from a company in Cheshire. I can't remember what they are called now, but I believe he is chuffed to bits with his. Hopefully he will be along with the name, as I think I may visit them soon myself.

EDIT\ The company was www.autofixed.co.uk.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17186

SGHOM
12-02-2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk/

Physician... The Vee... Wodjno...SGHOM... and.... err?? err?? :thinking: :thinking: all have exhausts from the above place.
So far, no complaints from any of us. Anything you want. single, twin, loud, quiet,.. you name it, they will make it. /rally

£450 all in with lifetime ga-ren-tea. :inquisiti

The Vee
13-02-2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk/

Physician... The Vee... Wodjno...SGHOM... and.... err?? err?? :thinking: :thinking: all have exhausts from the above place.
So far, no complaints from any of us. Anything you want. single, twin, loud, quiet,.. you name it, they will make it. /rally

£450 all in with lifetime ga-ren-tea. :inquisiti

Must have had mine at least a couple of years now, probably three, and it has been faultless. They made it exactly as I wanted it - thoroughly recommended

White Lightning
14-02-2007, 09:03 PM
/Grrr That's not good mate. Hopefully, as you say, their after sales support is ok.

Well, gave them a call today and expressed my unhappiness. I am now booked in on the 1st March to (hopefully) get the problems rectified. Got their technical director, who has been doing exhausts for 13 years, looking at the car ...

The Vee
15-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, gave them a call today and expressed my unhappiness. I am now booked in on the 1st March to (hopefully) get the problems rectified. Got their technical director, who has been doing exhausts for 13 years, looking at the car ...

Good for you mate:thumbsup:

White Lightning
01-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Things are looking up for me ... Went back to Longlife today and their technical director had a look at my exhaust. He explained that the main reason for the bad welding was that when I had the exhaust done the place had only just been taken over by Longlife and as a result they were still using MIG welding. Also, the guy who did the job had not been there long They have now moved across to TIG welding (and said guy is being trained on it!) which gives a much better weld. He also agreed that what they had done on the cat joint was unacceptable. The upshot was that they have agreed to re-do the whole system so I am booked in next Friday to have it redone and one of their top welders (who is down from Cardiff to do training) will be doing the job.

caishanvr4
01-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Great news, get some pix up when its getting done :pimp2:

bradc
02-03-2007, 01:01 AM
nice result :)

The Vee
02-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Glad to hear it mate. Deserves no less:thumbsup:

RugbyPete
02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow, customer service! Very rare these days

Make them aware you've noted their handling of the situation, very commendable, good to see

kidfrost
20-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Pete I am only down the road from you!

are you coming to the rolling road event?

The next thing for my car will be exhaust, and I will most porberly go for a custom stainless. It would be great if we could find someone local to us.

I had one done for my proton evo but I had to go to westbrom for it, If you find anyone near that does exhausts let me know and I will do the same for you.

RugbyPete
20-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Daventry huh, I used to work there, and lived up the road in Grandborough village

Not seen many in the area yet, just a black sport and an estate most days ont he Foss. He's not a member cos i flashed and waved and get a weird look back :D

shame, my neighbour used to have a silver one, but I didn't have my galant then. wonder if he ever made it on here? I think he moved out...

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi guys been reading all these threads and was wondering a couple of things, thought I'd ask them here rather than start a new thread:

1. When they do the custom exhaust do they keep the cat, so replace the parts before and after it?

2. If not, would this not be a problem for the MOT?

3. Is there much point having a custom exhaust just from the cat seeing as the first part is standard?

Cheers, I'm just looking for an exhaust that will mainly be for power, with a nice sound, not too loud that it's OTT and that will not interfer with the MOT. Sorry to Hijack.

RugbyPete
21-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi guys been reading all these threads and was wondering a couple of things, thought I'd ask them here rather than start a new thread:

1. When they do the custom exhaust do they keep the cat, so replace the parts before and after it?

2. If not, would this not be a problem for the MOT?

3. Is there much point having a custom exhaust just from the cat seeing as the first part is standard?

Cheers, I'm just looking for an exhaust that will mainly be for power, with a nice sound, not too loud that it's OTT and that will not interfer with the MOT. Sorry to Hijack.

1. generally is Cat-back
2. MOT require a cat if your car came with a cat. Some put decats on and then the real cat come MOT time, or buy a fast-cat, which keeps things legal but they're not cheap.
3. Yes, power is gained and backpressure is generally still acceptable. you will notice a difference in sound and power, a lot more than say a back box thrown on the end. Personally I wouldn't go all the way upto the engine unless I was lookign at silly power figures, and my custom one off on the 200sx was a crazy sound, as if it was tearing the air, so you can alter the sound a lot cat-back depending on the setup and ammount of baffle.

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Ah, I see, so the £450 SGHOM quoted, that would be from the cat back then?

RugbyPete
21-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I would say so.

Mongoose are known for their good power figures, but the don't do a Galant one. I'd expect to pay £290 for a cat-back from them normally. Peco said they could but I'd have to go down there so they could get the maps put in the system.

Whoever does this should be able to negotiate a discount, and obviously opens the market up to us as theres currently no off the shelf for reasonable money.

So, if you want a stainless straight through Peco that sounds like its splitting atoms, give em a bell and get it for £200 quid or so, mentioning the other club members might want one off the shelf. I'd buy one again, Peco get a lot of rap in the past after townys in 1.1 Nova's gave them a bad name with their mild steel cheapies, but their new range of the last couple of years has been very good and needs to be in this market. Quite reasonably quiet on tickover, but push some gas through the system and it sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. Put it this way, overun and flames would pop out the back with a boom (making people smile on the m1), accelerate hard and people would just stop in their tracks and wonder what the hell just passed them.

In fact, if no-one else does it this year, I may step up. I've just got myself all excited over again over an exhaust !:sick2:

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Ok, I'll do a search for them, ExhaustsUK are a bit far for me really, I'll see where they are.

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Ahh, Pico is just as far, anyone know anywhere a bit nearer london that they can recommend?

RugbyPete
21-03-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah, peco was a weekend break. they had the car most of the day and needed it overnight to finish. We stayed in liverpool town centre in a b&b and drank cocktails int he sunshin until it was ready (obviously not the day we went home!)

I travelled from midlands so it was no 10minute trip. (Then again I travelled 280 miles to buy my current car!)

What about going to a local powerflow garage? They do fully custom stuff for average prices. They tend to be more reserved on noise aswell

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 01:50 PM
powerflow? Had a look and they have a dealer just down the road from where I work, AUTO STYLING CENTRE, Hayes, might have to check it out, thank you.

RugbyPete
21-03-2007, 01:55 PM
There ya go then, go get a quote, see what they can do. Let us know what they charge and what the works like (it can vary, as they tend to just use powerflow pipes - but obviously powerflow have a reputation to protect).

Also see if you can get 5 minutes with the blonde they use in the adverts, you shouldn't need more than 5 :D

jayjay99
21-03-2007, 02:22 PM
/haz I was thinking that, she's all over their site, wonder what audience their trying to sell to!

Throbbe
26-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Powerflow and Longlife vary in quality depending on the franchise.

When I went to Longlife I asked them to leave it up on the lift so I could get a good look at the work. I also waved a camera about and mentioned progress photographs for a possible magazine feature to concentrate minds. :scholar:

Very pleased with their Sutton (or thereabouts) branch.