PDA

View Full Version : Does this look about right? ATF change with pics

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I found this:
http://www.k-lanandreajoy.net/Tutorials/TrannyFlush/

Does this look correct?
Am I right in saying you DONT need any special flushing equipement?

I presume its ok to flush with cheap ATF and use AMSOIL as my fill-up

Physician
13-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Yea, looks about correct but there is a far more detailed and professionally prepared Article in the Library prepared by Kieran. :happy:

wrdmotorsport
13-02-2007, 12:33 PM
yes that is about right. i do it slightly differant but yes that will work.

do not let the box run dry

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Hah, i get your undercurrent!

Physician
13-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Hah, i get your undercurrent!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :iloveyou:

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 12:56 PM
It says I need about 10 quarts of ATF

Thats about 10 litres isn't it?

Amsoil is £54 for 5litres!

Gees....

To confirm, is it ok to use DexronIII to flush and then use my special amsoil for the fill-up?

wrdmotorsport
13-02-2007, 01:05 PM
It says I need about 10 quarts of ATF

Thats about 10 litres isn't it?

the box holds approx 10l (K will tell you the exact amount)

Amsoil is £54 for 5litres!

Gees....

not cheap but liquid gold

To confirm, is it ok to use DexronIII to flush and then use my special amsoil for the fill-up?

If you use dexron for the flush then amsoil you will need as much amsoil as if you was doing it from scratch as you will need to flush the dexron out.

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Ah. So its £108 regardless. Jeepers....

If I'm doing it every 25k, will mitsubishis own oil not do?

bernmc
13-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Ah. So its £108 regardless. Jeepers....

If I'm doing it every 25k, will mitsubishis own oil not do?

If you're using Mitsis stuff, I think most people here would recommend you do it every 4500 miles - these boxes are VERY fussy. Amsoil will last longer - see my reply to your other thread.

A simple torque convertor seal replacement is going to cost you upwards of £600, never mind a full gearbox rebuild. Don't skimp on the ATF.

bradc
13-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah the amsoil is worth it simply because it lasts longer. For my car I bought a 10 litre bottle of amsoil and thats all I needed because my oil was only 2000km old (dexron 3, I wanted to get rid of that crap)

If your oil is really really old and yucky brown then you might want to go for 12 litres or a little bit more.

RugbyPete
13-02-2007, 10:53 PM
12 litres? why when its 10 to fill?

And I hear ya' I'm gonna go for Amsoil for the ATF, only solution it seems. I wanna do it soon, the gearbox on my new one isnt exacty lumpy but 1st to 2nd has a slight jolt to it.... besides, the guy was gonna do an oil change before I got there, luckily he didnt have time because he was gonna change with nomake 10w-40 oil!!

I'm gonna use that as a flush only (I don;'t believe in flushes generally) then put in some decent synthetic 5w-30.

Kieran
13-02-2007, 11:01 PM
12 litres? why when its 10 to fill?

It's down to the way you flush it. What normally happens is about 5 litres drops out the sump, you refill, take off the transmission cooler return hose and then start the engine to pump out the rest. To make sure all the old crap is out generally takes a litre or two more than you might expect - because it gets all the old fluid out, but also pumps out some of the 'silt' (for want of a better description!) out that collects in the pipework - normally this would get shunted round and round untill caught by the trans filter - so you'll usually need a bit more than the box holds.

Axeboy
13-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I thought the box held a fair bit more than 10l?

Just going by memory here...

bradc
14-02-2007, 06:54 AM
The box itself holds about 5 litres, the cooler + hoses and stuff hold another 4-5 litres. As Kieran said you do need a little bit more sometimes to flush the old crap out.

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Has anyone had Diamond III analysed after say 5k of use?

bernmc
14-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Has anyone had Diamond III analysed after say 5k of use?

Not on this site. I'm the only one anal enough to use the lab /lol!!!

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah the amsoil is worth it simply because it lasts longer. For my car I bought a 10 litre bottle of amsoil and thats all I needed because my oil was only 2000km old (dexron 3, I wanted to get rid of that crap)

If your oil is really really old and yucky brown then you might want to go for 12 litres or a little bit more.

Mine's not yucky, its still red by the dipstick, but god knows what it is.

I think I'll go for a little over 10L do a little bit of a flush and just fill with amsoil, just don't want to be caught short, but this stuffs not cheap!

WildCards
06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
but this stuffs not cheap!

Club members get 10% off you know

Wodjno
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Mine's not yucky, its still red by the dipstick, but god knows what it is.

I think I'll go for a little over 10L do a little bit of a flush and just fill with amsoil, just don't want to be caught short, but this stuffs not cheap!

It will soon pay for itself.. Like has been stated above already" Don't Skimp on Your ATF".. you might think your saving £30-£40 quid by going for summat cheaper. But !! If you have to change it 3 or 4 times to every 1 time you change the Amsoil.. It will soon be more expensive with the cheaper stuff.. On top of that you have the time that it takes to do the job.. :speechles

A rebuild on the Box will set you back around 2k dependent on where you got it may be a Tad cheaper or dearer.. I had a Quote for a Brand New Box fitted by Mitzy and it was £7500.. A 2nd hand Box will set you back around £1000.. + Fitting !!!

Go with the Amsoil.. You won't regret it :scholar:

RugbyPete
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
On that note, how useful is a flush on an auto box? Bearing in mind theres not supposed to be any contamination in a box other than a very little dust on the pan, im wondering if its overkill to flush rather than drain. I like the idea of flushing, but it could be a personal paranoia and maybe not needed?....

Kieran
06-03-2007, 10:06 PM
If you don't flush, you'll never get all the old crappy fluid out of the system and it'll mix with your new fluid and degrade it - I fell foul of this with my GLS when the local dealer ship did an ATF 'change' and all they did was drop the sump contents!/Grrr

The Vee
07-03-2007, 02:18 AM
Whay he said! The torque converter itself likes to hang on to quite a bit.

bernmc
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Pete, you're giving the locals a bad name. There's NO cheap way around this. Either use rubbish ATF and accept the consequences (a potential £800 gearbox extraction and rebuild), or bite the bullet and do it properly.

If you flush with cheap stuff, and top up with amsoil, there will be a significant amount of cheap stuff left in the box, will will degrade just as quickly, and do just as much damage.

You need to pump 10+ litres of Amsoil through the gearbox/torque convertor. End of story.

The gearbox is the weak point of the VR4. Treat it right, or pay the consequences.

...And don't say we didn't warn you!

richy rich
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Pete, you're giving the locals a bad name. There's NO cheap way around this. Either use rubbish ATF and accept the consequences (a potential £800 gearbox extraction and rebuild), or bite the bullet and do it properly.

If you flush with cheap stuff, and top up with amsoil, there will be a significant amount of cheap stuff left in the box, will will degrade just as quickly, and do just as much damage.

You need to pump 10+ litres of Amsoil through the gearbox/torque convertor. End of story.

The gearbox is the weak point of the VR4. Treat it right, or pay the consequences.

...And don't say we didn't warn you!
well said that man:pimp2:

RugbyPete
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I consider myself told....

Appologies, I have an accountant as a missus, it's rubbing off!

RugbyPete
07-03-2007, 10:40 AM
3 huge tubs ordered, mega flush on the cards

Appologies if I got on anyones nerves with this one, I like to question every angle!:5shots:

I-S
07-03-2007, 10:55 AM
You know you'd have paid for your membership pretty much with the discount?

RugbyPete
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
£135 all in, delivered. Great price I thought.

Still gonna get the membership though, I want access to ALL features, the tech notes alone are useful

Besides, you guys wont shut up until I do/nag :laugh:

I-S
07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Quite right. :D

bernmc
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
£135 all in, delivered. Great price I thought.

Still gonna get the membership though, I want access to ALL features, the tech notes alone are useful

Besides, you guys wont shut up until I do/nag :laugh:

VERY good price!

/EDIT: 135 for 15l would be a very good price.. but 135 for 11l would be rubbish...? Can;t work out exactly how much you got from comments in other threads...

RugbyPete
07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Is it nerdy to feel excited?

My trolley jack arrived today, which made me completely gut my garage for the last 3 hours. Its now clear and the galants sitting in there right now :)

Shame the lawns covered in about a tonne of old belongings! :D