PDA

View Full Version : Hello and help

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi there, have always loved these cars, best front end looks of any saloon. Came across what I thought was a Sport today only to discover it was the real deal.

I am desperately trying to get my head around values befor going to look at it tomorrow.

I have seen the price guide on the resources section but guess things might have moved on since that was written?

Could somebody please give me a clue as to what to pay for a 2002 Official UK car before I make a mistake and pay too much. Its manual, less than 40K and FSH. Unfortunatley for price its at an independent dealers but I guess the warranty may prove important!

Any help on what to pay would be very much appreciated, and if all goes well, I look forward to being part of CLUBVR-4

Cheers

Keith (aplogies for user name, but its purple, and it shall rule!!)

Lillywotsername
13-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Keith..../Welcome

Sorry can't be much help on the prices ect... but thought I would say Hi none the less. I am sure that someone will be along very soon to answer your questions.

You are in the very best place to gain in VR4 knowledge:happy: :scholar:

Brunty
13-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Keith,
Crazy at the moment - I believe there are some on Autotrader at around £12k, more reasonably £7-8, but they can be stubourn cars to shift and many good facelift cars go lower than this, maybe even as low as £5.5k if the owner is deserate enough.

Have you got a link to the advert - the car may be know to the club?

I'd say around £7-10k but it would have to be pretty immaculate to acheive £10k, along with plenty of extras. Personally I don't feel a younger car is worth that much more than a '99. But am willing to concede I might be biased!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Nice welcome - sign of a good forum, I reckon.

Fingers crossed I'll get sorted, although experiencing some resistance from wife, she's just found out what they are asking. Whoops.

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi Keith,
Crazy at the moment - I believe there are some on Autotrader at around £12k, more reasonably £7-8, but they can be stubourn cars to shift and many good facelift cars go lower than this, maybe even as low as £5.5k if the owner is deserate enough.

Have you got a link to the advert - the car may be know to the club?

I'd say around £7-10k but it would have to be pretty immaculate to acheive £10k, along with plenty of extras. Personally I don't feel a younger car is worth that much more than a '99. But am willing to concede I might be biased!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Not sure how to link but its on Autotrader at £9990, so you win a prize! Dealer mark up probably to blame, but by their own admission they didn't know what they had until the previous owner 'questioned' their valuation as a V6 sport!!! They made some enquiries and presto, £10k

It was on a private plate before A3 ASC so I don't know if that rings any bells.

It had a service at 33,000 in 2006 so thats in its favour, it appears to be mint although I saw it in the pouring rain and poor daylight. No picture yet, as its just come in. It appears standard with leather and has BK racing alloys (tasteful although not my first choice) has a MOMO airbag wheel, not sure if thats a standard item. I was a bit concerned because I saw a 56,000m W reg for sale on Aut trader for £6,500 but its 500 miles away. Someone should buy that now !- silver with the tan luxury pack and had the belt done...looks great.

Anyway, I'll be having a better look at it tomorrow, hopefully in the dry...

Brunty
13-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Autotrader (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=5&hassearched=Y&make=MITSUBISHI&min_pr=75&source=0&model=GALANT&max_pr=&agerange=&mileage=&miles=1500&postcode=b15+1qs&start=2&distance=120&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200706270527772)

There you go.

Sounds alright, I'd suggest you quiz the garage on the headlamp washers and insurance group. The momo wheel is (I think) standard fitment on the later VR4 models.

There are a few members on the south coast who might know/be able to view the car with you - could cost you as little as a pint and a pie!

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 10:05 PM
The insurance group goes back to what I was saying about what they didn't know was in their midst - I can't even get my insurance company to find the car on their system, which is another hurdle.

Thanks for your help.

Jane
13-02-2007, 10:13 PM
We have bought a couple of cars from this garage in the past - they have been around for years. Usually a bit overpriced but will generally negotiate and once gave us a great PX (many years ago mind!).

I seem to remember that the warranty they gave wasn't worth much when we had problems - but again, this was years ago.

Not sure if you have looked at it yet, but its not far from us if you want a second opinion :2thumbsup

Cheers,

J :)

Lillywotsername
13-02-2007, 10:13 PM
What company are you with Kieth? There are a few companies that deal with imports and vr4s ect....

Give Lifesure, Sky and adrian flux a shout if you have no joy with your own.

Nick Mann
13-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Electric seats doesn't sound right. I've never seen those on a VR4. I have seen them on UK cars, though. Also headlamp washers. Same thing! Tiger Purple is officially Trigger Mauve, but close enough!!

Can't really add anything to the statements made above - and seeing as how you have already found the buyers guide (rightly discovered to be a couple of years old!) then I gues you have learnt as much as you can. It may be worth pointing out that in 8000 miles it will be officially due a major service. This includes plugs, belts, etc and as an engine with four cams and an inlet manifold in the way of half the plugs, that is one service that isn't cheap!

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!

Kieran
13-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi and welcome to the Club! /Welcome

Price is higher end of the bracket, but it's not unreasonable. Is it a UK car from new?

Oh, something else to check - a recent service is a good sign, but these cars need looking at once every 4,500 miles / 6 months to keep them at their best, so check this has been adhered to.

Jane
13-02-2007, 10:26 PM
You say in your first post that its manual, but the ad says auto :inquisiti

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Big help

I have also dealt withis this garage before, and was satisfied with everything except their prices! Very professional overall.

In reply to some of your excellent points

Insurance - I'm hopeful when they call me tomorrow, Frizzell - who do insure imports will have something to tell me, even if it is no!

Yes servicing is something I'm hoping to negotiate with. I saw the stamped book - Ralliart all the way, and yes UK supplied. This is what got me excited.

But not sure about the intervals, I remember about 6 or more stamps so thats OK over 4/5 tears averaging 8-8500 per year. Not quite every 4,500 tho.
I have seen something about belts at 45k so will bear that in mind.

Not too worried about headlamp washers elec seats etc. I think with cars as rare as this you just have to decide whether you want it or not. It has digital climate control and leather - God I love those backlit dials etc etc

Looking forward to tomorrow, as I have bought from them before, they are going to let me out on my own. I'd pay good money for that!!!

My thoughts are that Ralliart registered it and the last owner used it very infrequently at weekends. The first owner I'm not so sure but all the stamps are Raliart. Overall I think it is a well cared for car in above average condition, and as far as price goes, I think if I get recognition about the servicing there might be a deal to be had. A call to th eprevious owner might not go amiss. But I never end up doing that!

So in the meantime I must away, but I'll keep you posted. Its been an interesting introduction to the club and I'm very grateful to everyone. Don't think I'll be sleeping too well tonight.

Many thanks

Keith (Purple Reign? maybe it should have been The Trigger Movie? it gets worse......)

Purple Reign
13-02-2007, 10:43 PM
You say in your first post that its manual, but the ad says auto :inquisiti

Sat in it - its got a stick with numbers on the top. I'm going with manual.

Jane
13-02-2007, 10:47 PM

Sorry, just trying to help - as I said previously, I wasn't sure whether you had seen it or not.

Good luck tomorrow.

J

Nick Mann
13-02-2007, 10:52 PM

This probably means it is a type V. So no AYC, no plastic wheel arch extensions.

Also - I'm not aware of a car with leather seats having a momo wheel. There were VR4's (and other galants) with momo steering wheels, but the leather spec cars usually have a Nardi Torino wheel fitted instead. Maybe someone has been playing?
/edit - actually, I have seen a UK spec V6 sport with leather interior and a momo wheel, so I have to take this back - but my observation still stands for a VR4!

Brunty
13-02-2007, 11:22 PM
God I love those backlit dials etc etc

Yeah, you've gotta love the hi-contrast dash! Lovely!

Would suggest that as a Type-V (manual) it's is over priced priced somewhat, print off and take a copy of the buyers guide with you - your new found knowledge may give you a bargaining advantage worth plenty of £££s.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Spirit
13-02-2007, 11:42 PM
If it's a Type V it wouldn't have the hi-contrast dials would it ?

Welcome to CVR4 by the way, and good luck tomorrow

g6acb
14-02-2007, 12:21 AM
There are several known late plate type V's with High Contrast dash

(trigger mauve) reign - dont know if you have come across this thread before

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19843

also twpsin - type v - high contrast dash

another bargain roanne red on ebay went for under 6k same spec - cant remember the mileage though

can't remember a VR4 with black leather as standard though - but then again no two VR4's appear to be the same.......:inquisiti

bradc
14-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Sounds like an interesting car, I would be interested to find out if it had AYC. There are some late model manual+ayc cars out there, Kenneth has/had 2 of them :)

Purple Reign
14-02-2007, 08:21 PM
First I would like to thank you for all your advice and assistance over the past day or two. It might be an anti climax but

Type V - no arches or AYC in dash - dealer has fielded many queries to this effect

Car has leather but not recaros

Car has MOMO Mitsubishi airbag wheel

Car has hi res dash but no electric seats or headlamp washers as suspected

Not sure about Trigger Mauve - its a blue pearl for me

Wheels are 16" BK racing items (Eclipse). Nice and tasteful actually but multifit so not tailored to the cars stud pattern specifically? They did show signs of being sprayed a bit as the caliper had a bit of oversprey
3 out of 4 tyres good. spacesaver unused

Tracker system fitted

Service history suggests first owner opted for annual services, rather than every 4,500m, but the second owner who paid £14,999 in 2004 (ouch) appears to have followed the recommended 4,500mile service intervals since then.

This means at 37000 its due a 4,500 mile service now and within 6 months will need the 45,000 "big boy timing belt - 7and a half hour - cash for questions £800 service." Not sure I want to pay for that just yet.

I wasn't sure I wanted the car at this stage but drove it anyway (who wouldn't)and as an impartial observer noted the following

Very easy to drive, and quite comfrotable. Its a very unfussy interior, not many knobs and switches but usual toys are present

Digital Climate
Elec roof and mirrors (folding)
4 way djustable seats etc
Interior smells very leathery and appears to be unmarked
Boot clean but I wasn't sure of the underside of the parcel shelf or the underside of the boot lid should have some interior trim on it
Overmats present

outside

bodywork commesurate with age and mileage - one or two little chips, one larger chip touced in on rear quarter but no real damage BUT inspection of the engine bay showed evidence of masking. We reckon the front wings have been painted - the blending into the doors was OK but you'd never win any prizes. Bit tricky matching the pearl I expect

My own car has had more paint than Dulux so I wasn't too worried, and nothing structural appears to have been hurt but I'm no expert! Its HPI clear.

driving

from cold I heard a humming noise while driving - a bit like very loud tyre roar. I though t maybe the 4WD system is a bit loud until the diffs and oil warm up a bit as it wasn't as loud later but a bit evident. My BMW axle whines for England (or should that be Germany) so again not worried but couildn't help thinking something might be wrong - maybe its a "characteristic of the vehicle"

Needless to say acceleration was brisk, no real chance to put it to the test over a long period but it did go well. Under extreme acceleration there was a bit of a grumble - I assumed this might have been a traction control system cutting in. But again not sure, and I worry about these things! Found myself becoming more aggressive as the hour wore on - hmmm sign of things to come maybe??

Very nice in traffic - a pussy cat a low speeds and nicely balanced at speed. Clutch lighet than I expected for a performance car

and therefore?

I liked it but not enough to pay a fiver short of £10,000. There are services too budget for and then there is the insurance. I told them to look under Ralliart not Galant and hey presto £700 fully comp. Tracker made no difference!!

Somewhat cheekily I said I was going to wait and see if they found it hard to shift. They offered to service it to mainatin the schedule but I said this might affect resale later on.

So I was left a bit flat. Looks great but £10,000 buys alot of car these days-

I took some photos in case anyone is interested but I'm not very adept otherwise I would load them on here and now.

What am I going to do? Mixed feelings so maybe this one is not for me

I'm going to see if they get stuck with it but I don't think they will if I'm honest it looks really good overall - even if there are unknown devils hiding in the detail. I think it will sell, cars fetch a fair bit here and the town is full of Jap performance buffs. I honestly think I'd be happy with a mint V6 sport and some money in my pocket.

..........OR WOULD I?!!!

Regards and thanks again. If you go and buy it instead tell Tony that Keith sent you! Photos on request.

bernmc
14-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Good decision - I wouldn't pay that kind of money for anything other than a full ralliart with ayc and all the bells and whistles, and absolutely mint for its age.

The car shouldn't hum or grumble. If TCL is kicking in (and I'm not sure the type V had this), you'd see a little yellow skiddy car light up on the dash. With the 4wd, it has to be wet and you have to be pushing pretty hard to get this. So I suspect the whines and grumbles are something else. Maybe a wheel bearing on it;s way out...?

Stay away from it!

It may take you a while to find the car you want (took me about 8 months inc shipping from japan :D).

ANd don't settle for a non-hair dryer version!

Nick Mann
14-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Aye - sounds like your observations are good ones. Would probably be a good car for the right money, but maybe it is a tad overpriced. Like others have said, given the low re-sale value of a VR4 you can have your pick of good examples for well under 10k.

Keep lookinng, and if you can afford it, go for the turbos!

The Ox
21-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Just to complete the story, my Dad has bought this car so I'll let you know what I think when I get my hands on it!

By the sounds of it, its an Indigo Blue Pearl rather than a Trigger Mauve with the Black perforated leather seats and Momo wheel which was standard interior in most of the later V6-24 Elegance UK cars (like one I had from '02 to '05)

I'll be listening for those grumbles :inquisiti

bradc
21-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Well get some pics up then ;)