PDA

View Full Version : Theres something wrong with the Galant (again!)

MGV6
13-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Over the weekend, I drove the car and when I turn the steering wheel 180 degree or more, I hear a weird noise coming from under the bonnet. Now this noise is different to the power steering/alternator problem I had months ago. That was all eventually sorted.

This new noise sounds like liquid dripping or something. The best way I can describe this noise is like this. Take a car sponge dip it in a bucket full of car shampoo (foamy), take the sponge out of the bucket and squeeze it tightly. Thats how it sounds. Remember, it only happens when I turn the steering wheel more then 180 degrees (clockwise or anticlockwise). At full lock, this noise sounds more. I will get it checked out this weekend hopefully.

Any ideas what is causing this?

If it turns out to be expensive damage, this car will head straight towards the scrap yard and it will be replaced with the new Toyota Avensis (class leading car) :) (At least I can then expect fewer headaches and anxiety) :evilgrin:

The list of faults that I have experienced with this Mitsubpussi Galant gets bigger and bigger! :(

Axeboy
13-02-2007, 10:19 PM
it will be replaced with the new Toyota Avensis (class leading car) :) (At least I can then expect fewer headaches and anxiety) :evilgrin:

Class leading at what?

Extreme Boredom!? /pan

Dont do it! :speechles

Nick Mann
13-02-2007, 10:26 PM
?

Your desription is very descriptive, but I still don't have a clue!! The one obvious question is have you checked the power steering fluid level?

Kieran
13-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Sounds to me like power steering pump noise? Is the fluid level okay? - I'm inclined to say it's normal pump noise.

Think carefully Gurj about the Avensis... Reason I say that is it's up to you what car you drive (and the Avensis is a nice car), but a lot of the 'faults' you've reported on here are not really down to any inherent defect or flaw in the Galant... They just happen - and they'll do so on whatever car you drive.

MGV6
13-02-2007, 10:28 PM
?

Your desription is very descriptive, but I still don't have a clue!! The one obvious question is have you checked the power steering fluid level?

Yeah. Its still 3/4 full..

MGV6
13-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Class leading at what?

Extreme Boredom!? /pan

Dont do it! :speechles

Well, for built quality certainly. Of course, there are many others but the Avensis seems so solid when I test drove it once. Interior is so good and all the plastics and trim seem solid. So many gadgets as well in the car. The VVTi engines are very good that Toyota use. 20,000 service intervals. It more of a business car.

I don't know if I change it, I suppose I say this but at the same time, Galant is costing more and more on repairs.

Kieran
13-02-2007, 10:49 PM
The VVTi engines are very good that Toyota use. 20,000 service intervals. It more of a business car.

20,000 mile service intervals have not been, are not, and will not ever be a 'Good' thing! 2 years (for the average punter) with no-one checking the car out? :speechles Bugger that for a game of soldiers! /Grrr

Axeboy
13-02-2007, 10:52 PM
You tell him K!

Sort him out

Nutter_John
14-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Well it was nice knowing you Gurj enjoy your new membership at www.boringcars-forum.co.uk :D

I-S
14-02-2007, 03:00 AM
A guy at work has a 53 plate Avensis. Nice car in ways, but it failed it's first MOT, and has an engine management light always on (codes for front lambda sensor, Cat and rear lambda sensor). It's been far from perfect.

On the other hand, my GLS is an R reg, has 111700 miles and has never once broken down. It has only ever failed to start once (because it had a 6 year old battery in it that I knew was weak, and then I went on holiday for 3 weeks). After a jump start it was fine and got the battery changed a couple of days later.

MGV6
14-02-2007, 09:15 AM
20,000 mile service intervals have not been, are not, and will not ever be a 'Good' thing! 2 years (for the average punter) with no-one checking the car out? :speechles Bugger that for a game of soldiers! /Grrr

Thats true, yeah. They do however recommend an oil and filter change every year.

MGV6
14-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Well it was nice knowing you Gurj enjoy your new membership at www.boringcars-forum.co.uk :D

which membership? :) I never registered with any other forum before.

White Lightning
14-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah. Its still 3/4 full..

Well ... I guess that means you've got a leak then ... :thinking:

Do you check all your fluid levels regularly ? Was the power steering fluid level correct the last time you checked it ?

Paul Beazer
14-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, does it look like its lost fluid recently? I assume you DO CHECK the level regularly? Prepares to slap Gurj if he doesnt..... /pan
My fluid level hasnt changed in 2years+ of ownership.

MGV6
14-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Well ... I guess that means you've got a leak then ... :thinking:

Do you check all your fluid levels regularly ? Was the power steering fluid level correct the last time you checked it ?

No leakage. P/S fluid was about the same the last time I checked it.

Exbury
17-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Sounds like the powersteering, its normal to make a little noise and will make a bit more at full lock (bear in mind you should not use full lock if you can help it-on any car).

If you are not losing any fluid, I would not worry about it, however if you belt (which you mentioned you had problems with) was over-tightened it may have stressed the pump. Also does the powersteering work better as vice versa if the belt was too loose before the fix, the pump may not have been running properly.

MGV6
17-02-2007, 08:57 PM
before it didn't make the noise (I don't think) so it might be related to the tightening of the belt.

btw: where is the P/S pump located in the engine?

Physician
17-02-2007, 09:31 PM
btw: where is the P/S pump located in the engine?

HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/G_4.jpg)

and HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/VR4-docs/vr4engine/G_3.jpg)

MGV6
18-02-2007, 08:29 AM
ok but whereabouts is that? I mean I don't know where to start looking for it.

Physician
18-02-2007, 09:36 AM
ok but whereabouts is that? I mean I don't know where to start looking for it.

Engine bay, left side as you face it from front /pan /pan /pan

richy rich
18-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Engine bay, left side as you face it from front /pan /pan /pan
i don't think that is enough info rich /haz/haz/haz/haz/haz

Lilly knows the answer

enyawbrown
20-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Sounds like the powersteering, its normal to make a little noise and will make a bit more at full lock (bear in mind you should not use full lock if you can help it-on any car).

If you are not losing any fluid, I would not worry about it, however if you belt (which you mentioned you had problems with) was over-tightened it may have stressed the pump. Also does the powersteering work better as vice versa if the belt was too loose before the fix, the pump may not have been running properly.

whenever I full-lock my galant, I hear a squeaky sound too and it disappears as soon as the lock is dis-engaged