PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

colVR4
28-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Another question for the gurus.

My car is coming up for a regular 9,000 mile service. Today the engine oil level light came on very briefly so I checked the oil level. The level is only just above the minimum so I am going to top it up with a litre INSERT INTO post VALUES (I wouldn't normally do this but it is going in for a service next week so it will all get changed anyway).

The thing is, should it have used nearly a litre of oil in 9,000 miles? I can't find any oil leaks around the engine and there doesn't seem to be any excess exhaust gases INSERT INTO post VALUES (tested by a friend stomping on the accelerator and realising it whilst I watched the exhaust).

Is there anything else I should be checking?

As always I would appreciate your wisdom..oh Galant trivia masters :bow: :bow:

zedy1
28-11-2003, 09:00 PM
nothing to worry about if the engine burnt a litre of oil after 9k miles but engine oil light comes on when the pressure drops

Brind
28-11-2003, 09:31 PM
All cars are different.
You are quite lucky!! it only swallowed a litre, you get some cars that can swallow a litre in a few hundred miles AND less.

On the VR-4 it turns black exceptionally quick..

colVR4
01-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I checked the oil and it is still fairly clear so there doesn't seem to be any contamination. Also, after rechecking the manual it does say that the light that came on INSERT INTO post VALUES (far right on dash) was the engine oil level light, which seems to fit. There is a separate light for the oil pressure.

Cheers :cool1:

Kieran
02-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by colV6Sport
...the engine oil level light, which seems to fit. There is a separate light for the oil pressure...

Did this come on whilst the engine was running or whilst you had the ignition on - The light DOES illuminate INSERT INTO post VALUES (even if the level's correct) when you've got the key on position 2, as part of the electrical self-test....It stays on untill the engine is cranked.

colVR4
02-12-2003, 09:41 AM
The light came on when the ignition was on, but went out after a short period along with all the other warning lights. It then came back on again after about 10-15 mins driving whilst the engine was still warming up. It was my cue to check the engine oil level and I found that it was low so the light was doing its job by the look of it.