PDA

View Full Version : New to Galants

Alwilliams
14-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Greetings!

Hope you may have a minute to help me with a little guidance.

I'm looking at buying a 2000 reg Galant 2.0 GLS (Idealy it would be a vr4, but impending house purchase rules the roost at the moment). It's a high miler, 140k with full SH - any views on whether they should be left alone this high up the clock or would you expect a good few thou' still left in them.

Any thoughts greatly appeciated.

Al.

P.S. Sorry, I know its a vr4 site, but decent info on the Galant is hard to find. Thanks.

Nick Mann
14-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Hello and welcome!

There is nothing on a 2.0l that should give cause for concern over any other car with 140k on the clock, except possibly the gearbox. If it is a manual, the input shaft bearing seems to be a weak point, although this is now repairable thanks to some recent research from our friendly Galant services company, WRD. If it's an auto, then decent servicing and proper grade oil should see it through no trouble. Have a search on the site for info. Most of it is VR4 orientated, but there are many members here who own or have owned non-turbo versions. Me included!

Paul Beazer
14-02-2007, 02:45 PM
No need for the apology. There are lots of us on here who dont feel the need for forced induction in our galants. Welcome to the club.

I could be wrong, but 140k is quite high. These cars will quite hapilly do the miles, as long as they've been well serviced.
what sort of price is being asked for said vehicle? I would have thought £2.5k would be the max price in excellent condition.
What sort of budget have you got? For £3k i would imagine you could get a 2000 V6 with 100k on the clock in good nick. They're not that much more thirsty than the 2.0l really. 30mpg is reasonable.

Paul

Nick Mann
14-02-2007, 02:58 PM
They're not that much more thirsty than the 2.0l really. 30mpg is reasonable.

As long as you stick with the manual. The auto will not compare!

Kieran
14-02-2007, 03:57 PM

But the GLS Auto as we all know is the way forward! /Nuuu

Welcome to the club and don't worry about not having a VR-4, we are always glad to see new members, whatever Galant! As Nick says, quite a few of us started out with GLS or V6 models anyway. Here's my old GLS - I do miss it!:afro: :iloveyou:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2528

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 04:03 PM
No need for the apology. There are lots of us on here who dont feel the need for forced induction in our galants.
Paul

Here Here!

or hear hear, i dunno...:baby:

Alwilliams
14-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Many thanks gentlemen, you're a welcoming bunch :happy: !

I'm going to have nose round the car shortly, as it has a manual box (but new clutch) I'll keep my ears peeled for bearing trouble and general tightness, fluid leaks, general bad noises etc.

At the moment it's cheep, £600, but as all auctions go - it's not over till its over.

Fingers crossed.

Al.

Lillywotsername
14-02-2007, 05:37 PM
/Welcome ...... Hope you enjoy your stay.

Spirit
14-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the forums Al, and good luck with it

The Vee
14-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forums Al, and good luck with it

As the man says/Welcome and, yes, Galants of all shapes and sizes welcome here:thumbsup:

DUNLY
14-02-2007, 06:21 PM
hi there and welcome to the club. everybody on on here is so helpful even if you dont have a vr4. as mentioned above as long as it been serviced well and looked after should still go strong. i had an L reg 1.8 glsi galant and i traded it in at 141k, and there was hee haw wrong with the engine, brilliant car. ive now got a 98 GLS with 108k on the clock and guess what,... still goin strong. and u could get it looking like this!!!!!

bradc
14-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Nevermind Dunly, he has the optional mile high suspension :)

Welcome to the club and I would definately recommend you go with either the 2.0 or the 2.5 v6 manuals, as Paul said the V6's don't use much more fuel than the 2.0's but they are more enjoyable to drive.

psbarham
14-02-2007, 10:10 PM
eer pardon ????????????

Nick Mann
14-02-2007, 10:26 PM
eer pardon ????????????

Sorry - this was really meant to reflect fuel economy. Not anything else!

(Apart from the fact that a slushbox is by definition slushy. Slushiness of all kinds should be avoided. Except for the blue coloured icy drinks.)

dutch driver
14-02-2007, 10:26 PM
welcome
i started with a 2.0l
the love for vr-4 is there the past 4 years
and now i have the vr-4 engine, and must be building in.
then i have 2 galants
galants are the best.

psbarham
14-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry - this was really meant to reflect fuel economy. Not anything else!

(Apart from the fact that a slushbox is by definition slushy. Slushiness of all kinds should be avoided. Except for the blue coloured icy drinks.)
oh no i realised you were on about the fuel economy , mine generaly does ok on fuel pottering about on short trips i get around 27-29 out of it , driving like a tit , i can reduce that to 100 miles a tank ( i really don't want to know what mpg that is ) and on long runs i have managed nigh on 40 mpg http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13970 . oh and i quite agree about the slushiness , as long as you don't get brain freeze , nothing worse than brain freeze

Kieran
14-02-2007, 11:06 PM

***Viewers should note that Nick is mentally disturbed as a result of consuming too much E-number loaded blue slush as a kid and his opinions on superior gearbox technology should be ignored. If you see him in public, please call the Redditch funny farm as soon as you can, giving a clear description of where you saw him. We thank you for your understanding.

Lillywotsername
14-02-2007, 11:42 PM
***Viewers should note that Nick is mentally disturbed as a result of consuming too much E-number loaded blue slush as a kid and his opinions on superior gearbox technology should be ignored. If you see him in public, please call the Redditch funny farm as soon as you can, giving a clear description of where you saw him. We thank you for your understanding.
PMSL K...

Kieran
14-02-2007, 11:43 PM
PMSL K...

/Devil5 /Devil5

BraindG
15-02-2007, 09:21 AM
/Welcome /Wyhy

Nick Mann
15-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Oi! How did this thread turn into a Nick bashing exercise? What a first impression for sensible chap asking about hig first G!

Sorry Al - I hope we have given you some food for thought at the start of the thread, before we went completely off topic!! :p

Alwilliams
15-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, thanks for the help.

Have to say, I was pretty impressed by the car yesterday. Very tight and solid for the miles (wouldn't have been suprised if it had done only 70k). Gearbox was good, no gears were a problem. Was a slight tap / rattle form the top end, but from this forum I gather that it's nothing to be particularly concerned about, and i'm not looking to rack up another 100k on it!

Pulled well from low speed in 5th, had a very slight drift at when not holding the steering wheel and pulled slighlty to the right on breaking - no worse than my last vehical though.

Everything worked apart from the sunroof, which the vendor will sort.

Overall, the Galant certainly gets my vote. :2thumbsup

Now it's a waiting game.

Al.

Nick Mann
15-02-2007, 11:11 AM
:thumbsup:

The rattle sounds like the lash adjusters. That can be sorted for less than £200 DIY if it really irritates you. There is a good chance that an engine flush and decent oil will sort it anyway.

Good luck!

Lillywotsername
15-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Oi! How did this thread turn into a Nick bashing exercise?
But But But..... Nick you know we love you really:iloveyou: :iloveyou:

Nick Mann
15-02-2007, 11:28 AM
But But But..... Nick you know we love you really:iloveyou: :iloveyou:

Of course I do! LOL! :iloveyou: too!

bradc
15-02-2007, 07:35 PM
We love you because you have a facelift that you are converting into a manual, no other reason :)

Alwilliams
16-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Dang and blast/Hissy

Curse those sneaky last minute bidders!

Thanks for all your help, maybe next time.

Al.

I-S
16-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The pulling to the right would concern me... My '98 GLS has nigh on 112k and it goes straighter than a straight thing. I had cured the top end rattle until two weeks ago (don't ask... it can be cured again with the magic elixir of engine youth).

Anyhow, there are some good deals out there, keep an eye on AT and the 'bay.