PDA

View Full Version : Nankang NS1/2?

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Has anyone tried Nankangs on their Galant?

I get a lot of stick for supporting the underdogs, I work at Aston Martin so as you can imagine there are many ideas and old dogs here with their various opinions and discounts on Yokohomas

They are V rated, have a brilliant water dispersing tread, and last for about 6 years!!! One guy I googled had his tyres outlive his car usage!!!

Budget gem, I have had them on rear wheel drive cars, wondered if anyones had them on the front of a galant with experiences

WildCards
14-02-2007, 05:01 PM
My old man had two Nankang somethingorothers and two Pirelli Ditchfinders (P6000's) on his VR4 when he bought it. It didn't feel a patch on mine with GSD3's and he promptly changed them to more worthy rubber.

Surely, you can't be saying 'tyres that last 6 years' and 'good grip' in the same sentence though? I'm no expert but every piece of material I've read and heard on the subject suggests 'A softer rubber compound equals improved grip characteristics resulting in increased tyre wear' Was this chappy using his car very sparingly and driving on freshly laid turf everywhere he went?

Each to their own of course though mate and if your happy with them then carry on, but for my (limited) experience Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's are the best tyre for fast road use.

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I like eagles for both grip and wear.

But funnily, I moved over to Nankang V rated after that for a blance of cost ad performance.

Worked great at 140+mph, very stable

RugbyPete
14-02-2007, 05:40 PM
these are the badboys http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifendirekt.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=13587868.12.18375&kplz=&Cookie=google&language=&typ=D21126&ranzahl=4&Breite=195&Herst=&Quer=60&Felge=15&Load=&Speed=V&weiter=0&last_sort=brand&kategorie=&Ang_pro_Seite=10&sort_by=preis&gesanzeige=&rf=&Transport=P&dsco=10&sowigan=&RunFlat=

dont fair too bad on the tyre test. I have just seen however on recommendation some toyo's that are about the same price but BLITZ the competition getting high 1's in the tyre tests

WildCards
14-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I've always looked at tyres as a necessary cost though. You get what you pay for and decent rubber is so important, hence I was never too fussed about paying £100 a corner for the GSD3's when I had my VR4, and £60 each on the 306. Just try and save money elsewhere.

Kieran
14-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I tend to shy away from the ninja-spec tyres as I think for most situations the difference between a good quality mid range tyre and a ninja-top-spec tyre isn't as marked as the price difference.

I tend to look up which tyres are best in the wet... To me, that's where you really need a tyre to save your ass!

mattpage
14-02-2007, 08:08 PM
They are a good budget performance tyre, but there are much better tyres.
I definatly feel that you pay extra for some just to have the name. Conti, Bridgestone, etc all seems to be inflated.
For the VR4 I'd only get a Y or Z rated tyre, but I wouldnt limited myself to any brands.

psbarham
15-02-2007, 07:47 AM
I tend to shy away from the ninja-spec tyres as I think for most situations the difference between a good quality mid range tyre and a ninja-top-spec tyre isn't as marked as the price difference.

I tend to look up which tyres are best in the wet... To me, that's where you really need a tyre to save your ass!

/applaude

if you get a slide on in the dry , the very nature of the conditions mean you have more chance of catching it , whereas in the wet there is no grip about so what is a great tyre gonna grip on that a good tyre can't

Physician
15-02-2007, 08:28 AM
............ all seems to be inflated.

Stating the obvious there Matt! /pan :scholar:

bradc
15-02-2007, 09:12 AM
psb - you're damned right. I found Toyo T1S tyres compared to GSD3's were better in the dry, but terrible in the wet. They would just start sliding and never get grip again until the car had literally come to a stop.

Compared to gsd3's in the dry though, the Toyo's hold on without squealing for longer, and when the car really does start to slide they felt better too.

Kenneth
15-02-2007, 09:14 AM
if you get a slide on in the dry , the very nature of the conditions mean you have more chance of catching it , whereas in the wet there is no grip about so what is a great tyre gonna grip on that a good tyre can't

I think your statement is far too broad and generalised...

If you want great performance in one area, then you sacrifice it in another. If this wasn't so, race car teams wouldn't swap between wet and dry tyres, nor would race outcomes hinge on who swapped at the most beneficial time.

So, a tyre that is 'good', may be 'good' at all-round grip. The tread pattern has enough voids in it to disperse water so that you get 'good' grip in the wet. Because of the size of these voids, you also only get 'good' grip in the dry.
There is plenty of grip in the wet so long as your tyres are able to disperse the water effectively enough to use it.

If you get a tyre with 'great' grip in the dry, you probably get only 'good' or 'not so good' grip in the wet due to the fact you have less voids. (assuming we dont do anything radical with the tyre compound) If you do a lot of driving in the wet, or dont use your tyres to their potential in the dry, this could make your tyre choice seem a bit expensive.

You could of course get a tyre that is 'great' in the wet. This tyre would overheat and destroy itself in the dry, so most people dont go anywhere near them on a road car.

My point is that you choose tyres for how you want to drive, or you drive to what your tyres can handle (or you go off the road)
So what is a great tyre for one person, or one situation may not be great for the next. 'Great' and 'good' are all relative to the situation.

I apologise if this didn't come across how I intended it, been to the docs and a bit sick... not my best hour for communication sorry (Jo forcing me to go to bed now :( )

Rambaud
17-02-2007, 12:02 PM
psb - you're damned right. I found Toyo T1S tyres compared to GSD3's were better in the dry, but terrible in the wet. They would just start sliding and never get grip again until the car had literally come to a stop.

Compared to gsd3's in the dry though, the Toyo's hold on without squealing for longer, and when the car really does start to slide they felt better too.

The Toyo T1-S (Proxes) are quite an old design - I put them on my Audi S3 about 7 years ago to replace the OEM Bridgetone RE040s.

I found the Toyos to be excellent ( a lot better than the RE040s) - they saved my ass on several occasions. :)

However, I have never tried GSD3s, as my next cars came with either OEM Pirelli or Michelins, so I cannot compare.

Wodjno
17-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't go for the NS2's.. I have them fitted to the GDi(they were fitted when we bought the car) They have no grip wet or dry.. I bought a set for the VR4 before i went to the ring.. Had them fitted and a week later had them taken off and replaced by New set of GSD3's.. The NS2's on the GDi are now nearly at the end of there tread life and will be replaced with GSD3's...

ThEbIrDmAn13
17-02-2007, 03:11 PM
nankang tires are ok... i had some for about a year... the tire wore away so damn fast i only put on about 7000 miles on my odometer. They were way too soft for me