PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem with centre caps ...

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Wierd one this ... just received some new Oz centre caps yesterday from fleabay and I can't get them on the wheels. I've been out there this morning and have tried two different caps on two different wheels and no amount of pushing will get them on they are just too tight. I've currently got them sat on the radiator to get warm to see if that helps but I'm not holding out much hope.

Anyone else had this problem ?

They are the correct ones for the wheels, I double checked that. I am wondering whether it's just the thickness of the paint used for the refurb causing the problem? I could try rubbing the paint down but want to leave that as a last resort ...

Phoned the alloy wheel place and the guy suggested bringing the wheels and caps into the warm. Easier said than done now that the wheels are on the car though /pan

Physician
16-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Mine were very tight as well.

I used a mallett and a cloth on the centre cap as well so it wasn't damaged when hitting it.

Good luck

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Cheers Rich. I did think about something like that but unfortunately I've not got a mallett, just a claw hammer and a sledgehammer !! And I don't think either of those will be suitable.

What kind of mallett did you use? Rubber? Plastic? Wooden? I've been thinking about getting one for a while so this may be the perfect excuse :happy:

Also I guess it's easier with the wheel off the car and layed flat ... ?

Wodjno
16-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Cheers Rich. I did think about something like that but unfortunately I've not got a mallett, just a claw hammer and a sledgehammer !! And I don't think either of those will be suitable.

What kind of mallett did you use? Rubber? Plastic? Wooden? I've been thinking about getting one for a while so this may be the perfect excuse :happy:

Also I guess it's easier with the wheel off the car and layed flat ... ?

Try putting cloth against the centre cap and then a small block of wood against the cloth then hit the block of wood with the hammer ...

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Nice idea Glenn but all I have managed to achieve is putting a small dent in one of the caps and snapping one of the plastic spring clips ... I think the paint must be too thick, it's the only explanation ...

Think I will wait until I have chance to take the wheels off and give it another try ...

Wodjno
16-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Nice idea Glenn but all I have managed to achieve is putting a small dent in one of the caps and snapping one of the plastic spring clips ... I think the paint must be too thick, it's the only explanation ...

Think I will wait until I have chance to take the wheels off and give it another try ...

They have spring clips on the inside ?? Am i right ?

If you take the wheels off ! the only way it will be easier, is if you take the spring clip out, then place the centre cap in and then replqace the springclip from the inside..

If they haven't got a spring clip then have you tried greasing them up ??

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Well when I say spring clips ... they are actually part of the plastic moulding ... like this (and they can't be removed) ... oh and no I've got tried any grease yet.

Spirit
16-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Why is everything in life so complicated /lol

They were actually loose on the Super Legs, so it has to be the paint thickness

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Why is everything in life so complicated /lol

Tell me about it /Grrr

I thought "I know I'll pop outside and stick my new centre caps on ... it'll only take 2 minutes"

/pan

Wodjno
16-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Tell me about it /Grrr

I thought "I know I'll pop outside and stick my new centre caps on ... it'll only take 2 minutes"

/pan

Get a bitta butta on em :scholar:

White Lightning
16-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Will give it another go over the weekend. I've promised Kate I'll do some servicing types jobs on the Ka tomorrow ...

/pan