PDA

View Full Version : tiptronic oil

kookie
18-02-2007, 01:25 AM
I know Don is going to kill me but what is the best non Amsoil to use in my gearbox please, i really do think i should change soon and filter of course Tiptronic thanks Rob

Kieran
18-02-2007, 01:36 AM
I know Don is going to kill me but what is the best non Amsoil to use in my gearbox please, i really do think i should change soon and filter of course Tiptronic thanks Rob

Sorry. Quite simply there isn't a suitable alternative that meets Mitsubishi's SP-II or SP-III standard that's commonly available in the UK. Your only other choice is to visit your local dealer and ask for several litres of the stuff they use.... But even then, there's no guarantee that they'll be using the correct Mitsubishi stuff.

Gly
18-02-2007, 07:29 AM
the correct mitsi stuff is called "diamond queen atf" and comes in white 5L containers from mitsi parts,

another option is dextron III atf with the lubeguard HFM addivtive

bradc
18-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Due to the large discount given in the UK on amsoil and the complete lack of alternatives you might as well go with amsoil in the first place imho.

amsoil
18-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Not really sure how to answer this one? If money is a big issue just cross your fingers and don't change it. If the fluid is red still all should be well; its when it goes brown followed by black that there is a need to change. Tranny oil does not get contaminated and so a good oil can last a very very long time here, just go by the colour. If the red has gone then to be honest you must put you hands in your pocket. The choices are mentioned above, Dextron 3 + a modifier like lubeguard , Mitzis own SP 3 or Amsoil. Cost wise there is little between them. If you get a really cheap Dex 3 + lubeguard then you may save a tenner but Amsoil is the only one thats synthetic and will as a result last many times longer and take 100 degrees more temperature.
On the engine oil front you have alternatives; you could even go to Halfords. But on the triptronic box the alternatives to Amsoil ATF is not really there as they will cost you many times more over time, (and not too much time either)
As you are a member use the discount....

I-S
18-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Going to back up a step here, and ask WHY you want to use something other than amsoil kookie? (not saying there's no valid reason... just wondering what it is)

stuartturbo
18-02-2007, 10:15 PM
When i looked at it Mitsi charge nearly the same price as amsoil if not more about £11 a litre
And when i enquired i had to provide my own oil container as they only have a 205ltr drum
I did use dextron and an additive as a temp but only since i got the additive cheap of someone here forgotten now DOh and dextron 3 was free ideal for a flush out

Edit to says If 10ltrs of dexronii will cost about £40 the plus the additive to bring it up to spec / £60
if you can get the additive??
amsoil about £110 list price
Mitshibisi £110 plus getting down there containers if unlucky i know where i'd buy mine from
and will on next service dextron been in for a year in april

Physician
18-02-2007, 10:27 PM
....... If the fluid is red still all should be well; its when it goes brown followed by black that there is a need to change. Tranny oil does not get contaminated and so a good oil can last a very very long time here, just go by the colour.

Can you explain this a bit more please Don? Particularly the part I've highlighted.

If ATF doesn't get contaminated then what causes it to go brown/black? Is it purely heat transfer/degradation? I would have thought gears wear and metallic particles would contaminate.

I recently had my ATF changed from Mitsi Diaqueen to Amsoil but richyrich told me that the old Mitsi stuff was very brown. I was surprised because it was only 14,516 miles old.

Thanks ........:inquisiti

stuartturbo
18-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Brown black from my experience of the stuff is burnt
On test rig at work we run 5 micron filters and do a contamination checks every once in a while and oil stinks but still clean we run at 80 to 135deg C (dexron iii)

Kieran
19-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, on a similar point to Physician, I know that brown is a sign of overheated ATF, but the filter and magnetic sump plug always have a dusting of what I assume is clutch pack material on them.

I presume you mean that ATF isn't subjected contamination from petrol, exhaust and other such combustion byproducts?

amsoil
19-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Most of the change in colour is , as you say, from the oil burning under heat and pressure, Its called shear and the oil physically changes; this is most evident in mineral based oils. It happens because the oil is not so strong which in itself is due to the components of the oil being varied, some even act against what an oil is ment to do , lubricate. Synthetic is all uniform and all lubricates. This greater consistancy and constancy makes synthetic oil significantly tougher and able to handle more pressure and heat. Some synthetics just wont shear back.

As K said, because there are no by products from the combustion process requiring various additives to counter them and carry them gear oil is very different and without additives to combat acids etc , will last much longer. Amsoils SVG which is good for upto 500,000 miles is a case in point. I frankly wouldn't be suprised if you can do 50,000 or even 100,000 miles on the ATF!

Metal particles in the gearbox oil don't contaminate it they are just carried until collected by a magnet or filter. Its very common at race tracks where Hewland dog boxes are used to see people drain the oil to get the metal bits out and then return the oil through a coffee or paint filter. The metal bits are part of life when you have dog gears, the crashing of gears on change tends to knock bit off the dogs.

Can you explain this a bit more please Don? Particularly the part I've highlighted.

If ATF doesn't get contaminated then what causes it to go brown/black? Is it purely heat transfer/degradation? I would have thought gears wear and metallic particles would contaminate.

I recently had my ATF changed from Mitsi Diaqueen to Amsoil but richyrich told me that the old Mitsi stuff was very brown. I was surprised because it was only 14,516 miles old.

Thanks ........:inquisiti

Gly
19-02-2007, 04:58 AM
amsoil about £110 list price
Mitshibisi £110 plus getting down there containers if unlucky i know where i'd buy mine from

wow thats a huge price increase,

here the diamond queen atf costs $105nz for 10L and comes in 5l labeled containers!

and the amsoil stuff is $300nz

bernmc
19-02-2007, 09:54 AM
wow thats a huge price increase,

here the diamond queen atf costs $105nz for 10L and comes in 5l labeled containers!

and the amsoil stuff is $300nz

That price is for 10 litres - 2 vats, not 1. Been around that price for as long as I've been buying it.

kookie
19-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Been told Millermatic is good but as i have never heard of it , it looks like i am going to have to PM Don and bite the bullit, i can't afford for the box to go wrong, i'd rather be safe than sorry,hate to think what a new box would be,am i right in thinking that Don also does the filter(cannister type ) that is on top of the box. Regards Rob

amsoil
19-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I thought that this was just a Millers version of Dextron 3 and a cheap one at that? I stand to be corrected here.

kookie
20-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I thought that this was just a Millers version of Dextron 3 and a cheap one at that? I stand to be corrected here.

I have no idea, just told about it, wouldn't take the chance though, Don i will PM you end of week if thats ok . Thanks Rob

djb160
27-02-2007, 11:23 PM
You can get amsoil atf @ NZ$230 per 9.5lt and engine oil @ NZ$106 for 5lt

RugbyPete
02-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm going with Amsoil.
You can go with others but every day, every bad gear change, every lumpy noise, will require a change of pants

To think you may get upto 50k out of the ATF, its not much to put up front. But, in this ebay price beating world, you are right to look at alternatives, unfortunately Amsoil isnt just an overkill alternative in this scenario, its actually the ONLY one you should buy.

MPBVr4
02-03-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm going with Amsoil.
You can go with others but every day, every bad gear change, every lumpy noise, will require a change of pants

To think you may get upto 50k out of the ATF, its not much to put up front. But, in this ebay price beating world, you are right to look at alternatives, unfortunately Amsoil isnt just an overkill alternative in this scenario, its actually the ONLY one you should buy.

WRD did mine with Amsoil last weekend and the gear changes are as silky as
silky thing can be. I didn't really believe it would make THAT much difference,
but it does:thumbsup:

RugbyPete
02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
About £170 for that work there isnt it?

Nutter_John
02-03-2007, 03:18 PM
close to that price Pete , normal price is 190 for a ATF flush (remember this is using upto 15l liters of AMSoil ) .