PDA

View Full Version : 97+ GLS v V6 97 v V6 98+ Suspension Question

Exbury
18-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Hopefully I am not repeating the same here, but anyone know whether the 97+ GLS, 97 V6 and 98+V6 shared the same front and rear suspension parts? And also are the arms the same on the VR4 as the V6/Galant as there seems to be a lot more sources selling the VR4 arms.

In particular thinking arms, hubs etc.....as I think I am going to be doing some arm replacements....MOT & 135k miles time!!!

Also can the later 98+ front brakes from the V6 be fitted to the 97 model brakes as the pads are significantly bigger, would this also require a hub change ABS sensor swap? Anyone done this?

Cheers,

Jason

Gly
18-02-2007, 07:29 PM
this is what parts can be changed between my 4wd v6 and the vr4,

front and rear suspension, hub carriers, lower and upper arms,
hubs abs sensors

i did a 4 to 5 stud conversion (hub swap)(so i could have a better choice of wheels)
i changed to facelift vr4 hub carriers and abs sensors, (to allow for brembos later)
i had facelift vr4 brakes and disks, now i have brembos,
i have a vr4 lower arm on. (one of mine was stuffed)
and i have vr4 cusco coil over suspension.

alot would be interchangable, its just how much do you want to change

Exbury
19-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Would like to change to later (larger 98+)brakes, plus also probably have some failures on the suspension, and the VR4 stuff seems easier to source, looks the same, but doesn't always say its suitable for the V6-24 2WD. Think I also need a front N/S wheel bearing and would like to change to a good 2nd spare from a 2.0 Galant (if it fits) while I source and fight pressing the bearing in (by all accounts its a bit of a job).

Cheers, that makes me feel more confident, dreaded MOT time very soon!

Gly
19-02-2007, 07:30 PM
if you want to upgrade the brakes,

i would go with the prefacelift vr4 brakes (96-98)
the calipers will bolt on, and the disks will need to be re-drilled to be 4-stud
(294mm disks with twin pot brakes)(you'll need at leaat 16" wheels)
there the same size as the 98+ vr4 but with the 98+ brakes you will need to change to the vr4 98+ carriers and abs sensors aswell

also another direct fit option is
evo 1 - 3 twin pot brakes with 276mm disks and there 4-stud so no need to redriil (you'll need at least 15" wheels)

the shocks will fit there just made to carry a car that weighs 400kg more
so they will jack your car up higher (othere memebers have tried)

the wheel bearings should be the same on all the 2wd's not sure if they are the same as on the 4wds

Exbury
20-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Gly,
Wow, fantastic, do you know if I get the whole Evo 1-3 hub, calliper and disc whether its a straight hub swap, as I have found a set although without stripping my hub off they look the same but cannot compare directly. Any ideas on the ABS sensor?

Have 17" wheels so not too much issue! :)

Have 2WD only mate, my other car is a RWD,

Gly
21-02-2007, 07:49 AM
sorry wouldnt have a clue on the hub/bearing,
the carriers and suspension are completely different so i doupt that it will fit.

the abs will be fine as that works from a ring on the cv, and the sensor is bolted on your carrier.

personally i would just get the caliper/disk/pads, and there a direct fit,

and would leave the hub/bearings unless there on there way out