PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

WITZ66
19-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Advice please.

I know there has been a lot of correspondence ongoing on the issue of headlights with regards to changing bulbs etc.

Now that I've got the bulb changing down to a fine art, has anyone got any ideas on how long the sidelight bulbs should last?????

I've tried three different manufacturers and the old girl is blowing them at a rate that would make an Amsterdam Window Sitter take a sharp intake of breath...!!!

I've tried the blue ones that go green/yellow/red then fail after about three days, Hella bulbs that lasted a week, and a set of "Sproggitt & Sylvester" bulbs that were given to me and lated about four days.

I can't see any problems with electrical feed, indeed supply voltage is comfortably below the 12v rating of the bulbs.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/experience on this...??

Paul Beazer
20-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Check there are good earths on all the lights, and that there are no loose bits. Are both sides going about the same time? Perhaps the voltage regulator on the alternator is up the spout? You could try putting a voltmeter accross the the feed to the bulbs and see if theres much variance.
Thinking about it, i doubt its the voltmeter otherwise all your bulbs would be blowing.

WITZ66
20-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks Paul

I've checked all the earths - good.
Voltmeter across the feed reads steady.

I'm currently OK, bulbs have been in for a week and both fine at time of writing.

Interestingly (or not?) when I've driven on just sidelights, everything's ok, when I drive on main headlights (not full beam), they tend to blow after the headlights have been on for a length of time......

Checked this bit out, hour on main headlights everything ok.
Drove Chelmsford to Oxford the other night (just under two hours) both sidelights blown.

What do you reckon ? Significant ?

Nick Mann
20-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Hve you checked the voltage feed at the end of a long run? Maybe its a time issue or a heat one?

I'm intrigued - I can't remember anyone getting through this number of bulbs before!!

Paul Beazer
20-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Try checking the voltage feed with the main lights on. They operate off a relay, so perhaps thats related?

Exbury
20-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Also r u using higher Wattage main bulbs? The relay check sounds like a reasonable plan though.

J

WITZ66
21-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Will check out the long run/voltage angle on the weekend.

Off for a "boyz weekend" to Manchester....I wonder if some of the local girls may have an opinion on this??? I bet they've never heard the "I've got a problem with my sidelights" line.

Still ok at the moment tho'

Watch this space.

I-S
21-02-2007, 11:48 AM
It's probably a heat issue. The sidelight bulbs are too close to the main bulbs, and they burn up pretty fast. However, they should be lasting more than a week.

If you have put in main bulbs that are more than 55W that will be the culprit (Note: Bulbs like Osram Silverstar, Bosch Xenon Power and Halfrauds Super Brilliance are still 55W... they achieve greater light output through better efficiency. It's "off road" (as they're not road legal) ~85W bulbs that will be problematic).

WITZ66
27-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Side lights still working..!!!!!

/Poms /Poms /Poms

Paul Beazer
27-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Side lights still working..!!!!!

/Poms /Poms /Poms
Shhhh...
"pop"

sounds like they heard you.....

KHK