PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Cooler

colVR4
19-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I want to fit one but don't know which type to go for. I am guessing that any additional cooling will help to keep things running smoothing and stop the dreaded flashing 'N'.

Found this one of the net, looks like a compact unit so finding someone to place it in the air flow shouldn't be too tricky. Will this be up to the job though? Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should be buying? :scholar:

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Oil_Coolers_Transmission

Ta

WildCards
19-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Looks good if you've got enough room behind the grille. You could also try here (http://www.midlandperformancecentre.co.uk/motorsport/showproductgroup.asp?cn=3005&scn=1032&scn2=2168) Col, more money but alot of people swear by Mocal coolers.

colVR4
19-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeh, I had a look at them when I was doing my search. The only issue with going bigger is finding the space in the engine bay that has got a decent air flow to it or it will just end up as another heat soak.

Plus, I wonder how much extra cooling the atf requires. It only ever seems to start overheating when I have been pushing things for a while, so I want to try the smaller one, get a temperature gauge on the atf and see what difference it makes.

MPBVr4
19-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I expect you've seen this

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4799&highlight=friday+afternoon

Makes a good read.

I've considered doing this as I had a slight issue at Donington last year when it got a bit warm.
Before commiting I'm getting WRD to give it the Amsoil treatment this weekend. That has
a 100oC higher temp rating.

WildCards
19-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Kieran fitted one at the back end of last year aswell, see if he's mentioned it anywhere, or PM him for the info.

Kieran
19-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Not fitted yet.... Besides, the solution I've gone for is perhaps overkill for a standard car with the occasional trackday.

WildCards
19-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Furry Muff. I remembered you having it at the lash adjuster weekend, and thought you'd fitted then aswell.

stuartturbo
19-02-2007, 09:07 PM
All this talk of coolers when fitting a better one since all so far are in series
So surely the ATF is being over cooled and takes longer to warm up.

Separate to above what temperature is optimum for the gear box to thermo valve the cooler

amsoil
19-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Think Automotive or Mocal as many know them by have oil stats (thermostats) That allow the oil to bypass the cooler until its warmed up then close to put the oil through the cooler; just like in a water system. The most efficient coolers are the rad type made by Mocal and Serks, other forms don't work as well and are generally used when there is no room for the oil rad or just a total lack of air flow. You can get water/ oil coolers too.
Just my 2 p worth

Wodjno
19-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I have got 1 of these :pimp2:

Also i have the electronic fan control, part number 3651

http://www.haydenauto.com/new-products/the-dawg.htm

colVR4
17-03-2007, 02:16 PM
..and bought myself an oil cooler. I hope that I have got something half decent :speechles ..or is this overkill??

I just need the bl00dy thing fitting now. Is this something that I could attempt myself or should I get the pro's involved. The pipe work that comes with it does not look like it will fit the standard system.

I have found that there is plenty of space behind the front spoiler next to the FMIC on the passenger side (is that near- or off-side, I can never remember?). Hopefully this will make plumbing it all up fairly easy too.

Wodjno
17-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Looks nice and New :D

Shouldn't be to hard to fit.. Just finding the right adapters to fit really..

Passenger side is "NEAR" as it's near the kerb :scholar:

colVR4
17-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Yup, is brand new, never been used. Bought it for £100 cash, don't know if this was a good price or not but it seemed like a bargain.

The thermostats to fit the Mocal coolers are only £20 as well, so if it does start to overcool it shouldn't be too much more to fit one.

Wodjno
17-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Yup, is brand new, never been used. Bought it for £100 cash, don't know if this was a good price or not but it seemed like a bargain.

The thermostats to fit the Mocal coolers are only £20 as well, so if it does start to overcool it shouldn't be too much more to fit one.

I'm certain it won't be overkill..

Now your in the same boat as me :speechles

You've got an Auto Oil Cooler /Yes Now you just gotta get round to fitting it :thinking:

Mines been waiting for 2yrs /pan

bernmc
29-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Mine's bigger than yours... ;)

25 row; sandwich plate for filter with thermostat (if used for the oil rather than ATF), 3m of braided hose. Pity I'm not going to have a VR4 to fit it to :undecided

Wodjno
29-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Mine's bigger than yours... ;)

25 row; sandwich plate for filter with thermostat (if used for the oil rather than ATF), 3m of braided hose. Pity I'm not going to have a VR4 to fit it to :undecided

Pfffffftttttttt !!!! :inquisiti

Am i supposed to be impressed :speechles

So where is the dedicated Thermostatically controlled fan :smug:

colVR4
31-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Interestingly, the guy I spoke to who sold me the cooler said that I should fit it BEFORE the standard cooler rather than after it as some people have advised. The standard cooler at the bottom of the radiator is meant to keep it at a certain operating temperature and overcooling may cause problems.

The problem of overheating occurs because the standard cooler can't keep it low enough when it starts to get abused. By fitting the aftermarket cooler before and bringing the temperature of the ATF right down, the standard cooler can then do its job of keeping it in the right temperature range.

This guy looks after cooling on motorbikes that have been fitted with turbo chargers!!!!!! What kind of nutter fits a turbo to a motorbike!!!!!

bradc
31-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Col, I've heard that as well, and thats what I was intending to do originally with my auto box.

In the normal system, lets say the oil coming out of the trans is at 120C, and goes into the stock cooler, it may cool it down to 105C, then put it back into the gearbox. The correct temp for the oil AFAIK is about 90-95C.

If you had the cooler after the stock one, you might cool the oil down to 80C or something, and that wouldn't be good for the gearbox. If you have the cooler before the stock setup, you might drop the 120C oil down to 85C, then have the stock setup heat the oil back up slightly (remember it is part of the radiator) to say 90C or 95C.

bernmc
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
If you use a cooler with a thermostat - either a namby-pamby fan control, or a proper bypass - I don't think it'd make any difference...?

colVR4
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM
UPDATE:

Just bought 10l of super-duper Amsoil ATF stuff and the guy that fitted my exhaust was so impressed with my hp gains at the RR that he is going to fit my ATF cooler for £50!!!!

Wodjno
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
If you use a cooler with a thermostat - either a namby-pamby fan control, or a proper bypass - I don't think it'd make any difference...?

Why ???

Thats like saying that the Fan on our Cooling Rad is of no use at all :speechles

bernmc
04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Why ???

Thats like saying that the Fan on our Cooling Rad is of no use at all :speechles

I think you misunderstand me sir... I meant with respect to fitting the cooler before or after the standard cooler.

Keh?

Wodjno
04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I think you misunderstand me sir... I meant with respect to fitting the cooler before or after the standard cooler.

Keh?

Well i was thinking of taking it out of the equation all together :inquisiti

Keh ??

swede
03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I have to agree with you, i used to have a GMC Syclone with a race tranny and a 3500 stall TQ, i was told to install an extra cooler and i did.

Installed a 13 row B&M cooler after the OEM cooler, i also installed an auto trans temp gauge with the sender on the exit from trans line.
@ cruising speed on the highway i got 60C temp on trans oil which made my lock-up go in and out.
@ city driving summertime and lots of redlights i got the temp up to 82C
@ dragracing i hade to powerbrake with 15psi boost 3 times before i got the temp up to 104C

So i agree that the extra cooler probably should be mounted before the stock cooler.

Eric////

Col, I've heard that as well, and thats what I was intending to do originally with my auto box.

In the normal system, lets say the oil coming out of the trans is at 120C, and goes into the stock cooler, it may cool it down to 105C, then put it back into the gearbox. The correct temp for the oil AFAIK is about 90-95C.

If you had the cooler after the stock one, you might cool the oil down to 80C or something, and that wouldn't be good for the gearbox. If you have the cooler before the stock setup, you might drop the 120C oil down to 85C, then have the stock setup heat the oil back up slightly (remember it is part of the radiator) to say 90C or 95C.