PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent interior light

White Lightning
19-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry if this has been covered before ...

My interior light has been intermittent for a while. I mean the one by the rear view mirror and it's only the right hand light that's intermittent. That said, it's not worked at all for the last couple of days.

Is there a known problem with them or is it probably just the bulb on it's way / gone. If the later, does anyone know what type of bulb it is so that I can pick one up from Halfrauds tomorrow.

TIA.

wrdmotorsport
19-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Wayne if it is intermittent then it is prob the door ajar switch. try pushing it in and out a few times.

Nick VR4
19-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Wayne if it is intermittent then it is prob the door ajar switch. try pushing it in and out a few times.

Try a bit of WD40 on the switch

Wodjno
19-02-2007, 08:09 PM
How can it be the door switch if it is only affecting 1 Bulb ??

It's prolly a dodgy filament which has now completely blown !!

wrdmotorsport
19-02-2007, 08:12 PM
How can it be the door switch if it is only affecting 1 Bulb ??

It's prolly a dodgy filament which has now completely blown !!
sorry didnt read that properly

Physician
19-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Interior Lights (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15205&d=1169126478)

Funkstar
19-02-2007, 08:30 PM
I've bought some interior bulbs for mine from Halfrauds. They were Bosch Bulb Type 233, 12V4W. Haven't got round to fitting them yet, so don't know if they actually fit. But they were the one's for the V624V so can't see them being any different.

EDIT\ Wayne, don't quote me on that part number. I've now found 2 other packs of bulbs and I haven't a clue which one's are for what. /pan /pan

Let me know what number they are if you find out. I can at least then put one pack to use.:dizzy2:

White Lightning
19-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys. According to the link that Rich put up it's either 7.5W or 8W. I guess it must be the 8W ... which Galant's have got the map reading light then ?

So what's best way of getting the bulb out without breaking anything ?

Wodjno
19-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys. According to the link that Rich put up it's either 7.5W or 8W. I guess it must be the 8W ... which Galant's have got the map reading light then ?

So what's best way of getting the bulb out without breaking anything ?

I think the Facelifts have the Map reading light ... Well i know Mrs Wodjies Leggy has :pimp2:

White Lightning
19-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I think the Facelifts have the Map reading light ... Well i know Mrs Wodjies Leggy has :pimp2:

Flash buggers ... /pan

orionn2o
19-02-2007, 11:35 PM
mines the same mate.. doesnt work either now!

fiddled with the connections and it worked for a month and then stopped again!

Rubbish!

g6acb
19-02-2007, 11:45 PM
I thought the extra map light things were part of the sunroof control pannel??

as for changimg the bulb its just a case of smallest flat 'driver in the box (wrapped round a cloth) to fit into 2 groves in the lens windscreen side to pop the whole lens out - the std interior light is an 8w double pole thingy.....

on uk galants the lights on warning buzzer and front interior light are all wired into the very unreliable door contact switch - i think i must have rotated them arround the car twice now and they still foul up every now and again

Kieran
19-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I thought the extra map light things were part of the sunroof control pannel??

Indeed they are. My Pure-Shape VR-4 (/STP) has the map reading lights and a moonroof. My GLS also had them, but my V6 didn't (no sunroof).

White Lightning
20-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Well that's another little job sorted :thumbsup:

Took the cover off the light and firstly noticed that the bulbs fitted were 10W rather than the 8W that is specified. The filament in the one that was not working looked ok but I swapped the two bulbs over just to check it was indeed the bulb faulty ... and yes it was.

So, went off to Halfords with the dead bulb in hand. The type you need is halfords type 269. It is a 12v 10w bulb. It is listed under Galant 97 onwards in their crib sheet so that's correct too. OK it's a 10w rather than a 8w but they don't list an 8w bulb of this type anyway and I guess the only difference will be that it's a little brighter :scholar:

Spirit
20-02-2007, 02:38 PM
it's an 8w rather than a 10w but they don't list an 8w bulb of this type anyway

You mean it's a 10w rather than an 8w /pan /lol

White Lightning
20-02-2007, 04:13 PM
it's a 10w rather than a 8w but they don't list an 8w bulb of this type anyway

Dunno what you mean mate ? :inquisiti

Funkstar
20-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Told you it was Type 269 /pan

Wonder what the hell these one's I have are for then. I don't even have a Type 269 pack of bulbs, but I have definetly bought some interior bulbs from Halfords for my VR4. Must have been one of those "still drunk from the night before" moments.

White Lightning
20-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Told you it was Type 269 /pan

Wonder what the hell these one's I have are for then. I don't even have a Type 269 pack of bulbs, but I have definetly bought some interior bulbs from Halfords for my VR4. Must have been one of those "still drunk from the night before" moments.

Dunno but I did look at the type 233 that you mentioned and it's a much smaller bulb and only 4w :inquisiti

steve190
20-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I guess the only difference will be that it's a little brighter :scholar:

Wattage (W) is the power the lamp is rated at and can be worked out from the equation P=I x V :scholar: where I is the current and V is the voltage.

As the voltage (in theory) is fixed at 12v then increasing the power will increase the current.

So the difference is an increase in current and if you increase the current enough you will start blowing the fuse :oops: supplying the interior lights.