PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Brembos (Again!)

bernmc
19-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Bloody brembos wailing like banshees again :(. Some people have said theirs settled down after a while, but I'm around 10K miles down the road and they're still yelling! Never seem to be squeal-free for more than a month or two.

Stripped the pads out again yesterday. My recycled biscuit-tin shims seem to be surviving well. Copper grease was pretty hard & congealed, so I cleaned it all off and regreased. This time I've chamferred the leading and trailing edges of each pad as well - about 45 degrees with the angle grinder.

We'll see how long it lasts this time...:|

Louis
19-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Depends what pads you are using!, as some need heat and others don't!!.
At the mo I have pagid rs 4-2 pads, which are a race pad with a high metalic content, always sound like they are eating the discs (metal on metal sound), a few hard stops will heat them up, but by the time you are in town and they start to cool, squeal will start to come back. The original mitsy issue Brembo pads, are a bi)t more the other way around (i find) they squeal more when burnt (glazed), if you deglaze them and treat them a bit easier they squeal less.

bradc
19-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Bern, what pads do you have on them, and do they get better or worse with heat?

tig202
19-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Bern bro, pm me your addy and I will send you some tack that I have used on mine. :pimp2:

Wodjno
19-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Bern bro, pm me your addy and I will send you some tack that I have used on mine. :pimp2:

Do you go fast enough to make yours squeal :speechles

Nick Mann
19-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I have Pagid Blues, and mine have got better and better as time has worn on. They don't even squeel when reversing now, which they always used to do! And my shims are home made too!! :P

colVR4
19-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I had the same problem with my Mintex pads when they were new. They settled down and only give the banshee howl when reversing now. I cured mine by getting hold of some of the proper Brembo shims and applying lots of copper grease.

Gly
20-02-2007, 04:55 AM
heres what UC and i have found. so far

brembo calipers + brembo pads + brembo shims + zonelli groved disks = sqeal
brembo calipers + brembo pads + brembo shims + brembo disks = no sqeal
brembo calipers + EBC pads + no shims + brembo disks = no sqeal

You See
20-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Mine you tho, i haven't had them squealing ever since them calipers were switched.

Gly
20-02-2007, 06:18 AM
true, but you also had the disks machined, which removed a bit of the depth of the grooves,

also the calipers are clean now,

dust and crap build up may have some contributing factor?

as you old ones on mine havent made a peep yet.

bernmc
20-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Bloody bunch of phillistines. They're Ferodo DS2500's of course. What other pads are there I ask you with tears in my eyes you don't know when you were born.

It's a well known problem with the EVO brakes and DS2500's. They're not glazed - I use the flippin' things like they should be used. Squealing is at low speed - brake like you should, and they;'re fine. Just means my passengers have to keep pulling their teeth out of the dashboard, and sitting in traffic is uber embarrassing - sound like a bus!

Chap on MLR does a different pad tensioner clip which is supposed to help. If my latest cure +/- tigs stuff doesn't work, I'll have to try that.

Louis
20-02-2007, 08:05 PM
/Handbag good luck with that!

psbarham
20-02-2007, 08:56 PM
don't worry bern , when you get some good pads then they'll squeal no more :p

bernmc
20-02-2007, 09:29 PM
don't worry bern , when you get some good pads then they'll squeal no more :p

Quiet V6 boy! I'll have your carbotechs if you're not careful!

Louis don't be offended - I'm never serious when ranting :p

psbarham
20-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Quiet V6 boy! I'll have your carbotechs if you're not careful!

try it , purple van man , i'll just hit the anchors and do a u turn(another v6 strong point) before you've found the pedal :p

Louis
21-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi, not offended, no worries, I was going to try the carbotechs when my pagids were screeeeeeeching quite badly, but the guy I spoke to said that the carbotechs would probably squeal in town also, so didn't bother.

I was just meaning I have found that different pads squeal under different conditions!, Brembo pads = no squeal when cold, squeal when hot.
Pagids = squeal when cold, no squeal when hot.

psbarham
21-02-2007, 08:19 PM
but the guy I spoke to said that the carbotechs would probably squeal in town also, so didn't bother.
mine have never squealed , even braking hard when cold

caishanvr4
21-02-2007, 10:45 PM
My brembo's squeal whether hot or cold, going backwards or forwards. Im using the same pads as bern Dssqueal2500. Anyone tried blackdiamond :inquisiti

bernmc
22-02-2007, 10:55 AM
My brembo's squeal whether hot or cold, going backwards or forwards. Im using the same pads as bern Dssqueal2500. Anyone tried blackdiamond :inquisiti

Got them on the Hyundai - nothing to shout about, and certainly nowhere near the DS2500's in terms of performance.

fredfour4
25-02-2007, 12:13 PM
The brembro brakes squealing is a common problem and the same on my Fiat 20v turbo. I eliminated the squealing by filing a little off the top and bottom of the metal backing on the pads so they would not be a real tight fit. You should be able to slide the pad in and out with no resistance. When they are a tight fit they resonate in the caliper but only low speeds, hence the squeal.
So now I do not have the embarrassing squeal.

Hope this helps.