PDA

View Full Version : Automatic to Manual

MarcelVr4
20-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi there guys, most of you guys dont know me, I dont usually post, I just read alot.

I live in the Dominican Republic and I own a 98 Galant Vr4

And I have a question for you guys.

Has anyone ever changed their automatic transmision to a manual one? if so, how did you do it, what did you need to do, and how much did it cost you?
But first of all, Is it possible? I am guessing that yes, it may be, but what modifications would I need to do to my car.

Anyways, is the manual vr4 faster than the automatic ? how faster ?

Thank you very much

*****Also looking for the Diagram of the galant Vr4, trying to install FCD(Fuel Cut Defender) and SLD(Speed Limiter Defender) If anyone knows please m_respawn@hotmail.com

Thanks again!!!

Marcel Fernandez

bradc
20-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I've converted my car from auto to manual. You do need quite a bit of hardware to do it, apart from the obvious requirement of a gearbox, you need a clutch, clutch cylinders, pedal box, linkages, the shifter itself, and various small brackets and things.

If VR-4's are plentiful in the Dominican Republic then I would suggest you simply go and buy a manual one, it will cost you approx US$1000 if you can find all the right parts at mates rates, so it is fairly expensive.

The manual boxes are a lot faster in-gear than the autos, but the main selling point for me was that they are a lot more reliable, the auto's die a lot more frequently than the manual's

MarcelVr4
20-02-2007, 04:47 PM
thank you very much man, and no theres only 5 Vr4's and 2 Legnums in this country, I dont know of any other, but none is Manual. I was wondering, if you do have a list, or can make me one when ever you have time, I would appreciate it bro, you can send it to, m_respawn@hotmail.com or maybe post it here.

I am planning of ordering a manual transmision and everything needed.

What about electronical artifacts, do i need anything specific?

Thanks again man!

Marcel Fernandez

bradc
20-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Sorry that list I said above is about as much as I can tell you, I didn't actually do the install myself. I hope another member sees this and can provide a better list ;)

I don't know if you need to change the engine ecu or not, as part of the conversion my car was getting a full replacement ecu installed at the same time.

Nick Mann
20-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I am planning to do this myself, but funds ain't allowing me yet. I am relatively sure that the only things you need are the obvious ones. Gearbox, clutch, flywheel, clutch linkage (including master cylinder, slave cylinder, pedal etc) and gear linkage. I have the front driveshafts available, but I have been told that I shouldn't need them.

Again, I can't be sure as haven't done it myself, but I think that the auto ECU can be fooled into thinking all is okay, so you don't have ecu problems.

The man who I know has done it on here is Zedy1 who also runs Galant Spares. He should be able to help, maybe with parts as well as advice. Good luck, and post back your findings!

Paul C
20-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Nick do you have a rough idea how much the overall cost will be in england as i am having the same idea.if the auto boxs packs up i think it would be better option to convert rather than replace/fix. Also isn't it possible to get gear box off earlier evo to fit with slight modification. this might give cheaper option as spares are more readily available.

Nick Mann
20-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I *think* evo 4-6 boxes are fundamentally the same, BUT I AM NOT SURE!!

As for cost - I have bought the bits from a scrapped donor car for a very reasonable price, but I ain't got the dosh for a decent clutch yet!! If you want new bits, then thousands. I am looking at the best part of a grand all in, assuming I do the work myself and get some know-how from Mo on the way.