PDA

View Full Version : -LegnumVR4- Air Scoop

enigma
30-11-2003, 01:56 PM
OK, so I have had a bit of free time this weekend and I have manufactured Legnum VR4s ram air scoop to try on my car. Using the template he posted:

enigma
30-11-2003, 01:57 PM
I made a paper version

enigma
30-11-2003, 01:58 PM
And trial fitted it to the back of the front grill..............

enigma
30-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Seemed to fit quite well so I transferred the shape to a scrap of steel I had in the garage and attacked it with my trusty jigsaw!

enigma
30-11-2003, 02:07 PM
I then used my sheet metal folder to bend where appropriate and voila an exact copy of a scoop designed in New Zealand!!! :D

calum
30-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Yeah - I'm always using my sheet metal folder too INSERT INTO post VALUES (NOT!!!)

Are there any tools you don't have?

Cheers,

Calum

P.S - where si this going, excatly - can't work out from the pic - and is it mating to original feed?

enigma
30-11-2003, 02:11 PM
I have now fitted the scoop to the grill and I am waiting for the silicone sealer to cure before refitting to the car and testing it.

I am not convinced it will make any real difference though. If you take the grill out and close the bonnet you will see that forcing air up through the vent holes in the top of the grill does not actually direct the cold air at the mouth of the intake. The gap which the air must flow through is very small and is restricted by the bonnet prop. I am guessing I will see no difference at all........but I will try most things once! :D

Will let you all know what happens during testing, but I am not hopeful.

Rhys, I would recommend that you go back to your CAI as it provides a direct route for the cold air to flow, this will however mean that fuel cut occurs at a lower boost level. Remember though cold air at low boost is better than hot air at high boost!

enigma
30-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Calum,
the scoop sits just above the VR4 badge in the front grill and scoops the air up through the slots on the top of the grill.....if you open your bonnet and look it will become clear!

As for tools, I have a few bits and bobs that I have collected over the years!!! :D

enigma
30-11-2003, 07:32 PM
OK here is a pic of it installed on the car.....for clarity I have put a big red ring around it!! :D

enigma
30-11-2003, 07:33 PM
And here is what it is supposed to do to the airflow.....I am a bit sceptical though for reasons mentioned above......

Nick Mann
30-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Dave, you don't live far from Kieran, do you? I think you should allow him to practice occaisonally on your legnum!

Barry - any chance of a polishing smiley?

In the meantime, imagine this little fella with a cloth!

:harro:

Looks like a good idea for the mod, btw. I am curious as to how big a difference it will make.

Brind
30-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Your car is dirty! beware of Kieran!!!!!!!! :nono:

Rys, isn't using the original plastic cold air feed so maybe that is why it doesn't look very effective......:shrug:

enigma
30-11-2003, 07:54 PM
I think you will find Rhys has swapped back to the original plastic air feed......that is why he asked me to assess the mod for him.

My car IS filhy...... but the weather is not conducive to polishing at the moment! Also I was too busy trying to sort this mod out.....in the rain!

Brind
30-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bigdaveakers
My car IS filhy...... but the weather is not conducive to polishing at the moment! Also I was too busy trying to sort this mod out.....in the rain!

Kieran won't accept your excuses! :nono: you wait till he comes on here! :nervous:

Didn't know Rys swapped back..

enigma
30-11-2003, 08:01 PM
See Here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2135&perpage=15&pagenumber=4)

Kieran
30-11-2003, 08:02 PM
:io:Yes - I did notice the level of muck in those posts, tut, tut...:nono:

The council of highly polished GLSes is considering your sentence as we speak!

:grr:Errect the scaffold!

And what's this rubbish about it not being the weather to clean your car?!?! I managed it today - OK, only a quick wash/rinse & hoover out of the interior, but it only took 1hr30!!

Pah! These people who buy their VR-4s and then don't look after them;):D:D

Nick Mann
30-11-2003, 08:05 PM
You'd be proud of me today, Kieran. I have washed it twice. This morning when it was sunny I grabbed the opportunity. Then went out for lunch to a pub down the muckiest lane in the country, so had to wash it again this afternoon. Then it started raining! Doh!!

Kieran
30-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Nick Mann
You'd be proud of me today, Kieran. I have washed it twice....

Now that's just silly:D

Hmmm... What you need is new Meguiar's anti-country paint sealant! All kinds of country stuff, such as cow ****, pig ****, mud, straw, border collies, ramblers, foxhunters INSERT INTO post VALUES (boo!); etc. etc. just glide off:D:biglaugh:

Nick Mann
30-11-2003, 08:12 PM
:lolz:

Brind
30-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Kieran
Now that's just silly:D

Hmmm... What you need is new Meguiar's anti-country paint sealant! All kinds of country stuff, such as cow ****, pig ****, mud, straw, border collies, ramblers, foxhunters INSERT INTO post VALUES (boo!); etc. etc. just glide off:D:biglaugh:

How about retarded teenagers with attitude problems ambling across the roads in front of you?

Kieran
30-11-2003, 08:17 PM
...My car IS filhy...... but the weather is not conducive to polishing at the moment! Also I was too busy trying to sort this mod out.....in the rain!

Excuses, Excuses:scelp: ....

Iffy excuses from your local Galant owner about the state of their car? Can't decide if they genuinely forgot to polish it, or just couldn't be arsed? One squirt of this will solve the problem!!!..

enigma
30-11-2003, 08:48 PM
That is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Unfair, I hate you :Cry1:

I was busy with my mad experiments to further the potential of our cars and I get publically ridiculed because my car is dirty. I herby promise never to post again until I get a formal apology.

:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I'm off back to my sewing machine

Nick VR4
30-11-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm off back to my sewing machine

:headsc: I wonder what Dave is doing on a sawing machine
Is he making go faster fuzzy dice :D

Brind
30-11-2003, 09:05 PM
:D I reckon you've got a list of everyones personality defects somewhere.
That's why you won't come to any meets! :D

Nick VR4
30-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Brind
:D I reckon you've got a list of everyones personality defects somewhere.
That's why you won't come to any meets! :D

Damm you have sussed it out
I'm actually a www.psychiatrists.co.uk and go on to forums and send all this information to the UK govt ;)
I will try and met you lot sometime honest guv :D

Kieran
30-11-2003, 09:18 PM
...I herby promise never to post again until I get a formal apology.

Ahem.

I apologise if my posts have offended/upset you Dave. Some of my posts can be vitriolic at times, though I would never post anything with the intent of upsetting people.

:bighug: :grouphug:

Now, put your sewing machine away and get your turtle wax out:D INSERT INTO post VALUES (JOKE!!!)

Kieran:)

enigma
30-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shucks!

:grouphug:

you seem to have missed my sarcasm!!! ;)

zedy1
30-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Kieran
Ahem.

I apologise if my posts have offended/upset you Dave. Some of my posts can be vitriolic at times, though I would never post anything with the intent of upsetting people.

:bighug: :grouphug:

Now, put your sewing machine away and get your turtle wax out:D INSERT INTO post VALUES (JOKE!!!)

Kieran:)

:lolz: this is not enough u have to do better than that

Kieran
30-11-2003, 09:40 PM
...you seem to have missed my sarcasm!!! ;)

D'oh!!!

Caught out again!:D

enigma
30-11-2003, 09:58 PM
The offer of coming to clean my car was very tempting though Kieran!

;)

Nick Mann
01-12-2003, 12:41 AM
If Kieran comes round with his van of products, Dave, will you take a few photos? It has got to be a candidate for article/link!

INSERT INTO post VALUES (And find out his secret for getting brake dust off alloys.)

-LegnumVR4-
01-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Rhys, I would recommend that you go back to your CAI as it provides a direct route for the cold air to flow, this will however mean that fuel cut occurs at a lower boost level. Remember though cold air at low boost is better than hot air at high boost!

What i found with the CAI is i would get very random boost cuts. Even when setting up the E-Boost we would get some different peak holds INSERT INTO post VALUES (spike) readings eg: 13.8 to 16.8 etc. These tests would be done about 2mins apart, night time, same boost setting and the temp was the same outside. I'm just wondering if the ramp i have that acts like a ram is upsetting the air flow as the ramp directs the air up at the filter and under the battery tray. Maybe the air filter is getting to much disturbed air as it bounces around the small area where the filter is setup causing a miss reading:Ponder:

I can put the CAI back in anytime, 10min job. Maybe leave the ramp off this time? I'm interested to see if that little scoop of mine makes any difference, it's cheap and easy to make so why not give it a go:) I have no test equipment here so Dave would be the ideal man for the job.

-LegnumVR4-
02-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Also I moved the sponge that is on the bonnet prop out of the way for more air flow. Any test results Dave?

And Brind.... u keep missing the letter 'H' from my name. :D

BraindG
02-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Nick Mann

Barry - any chance of a polishing smiley?
ehehe - ill have a look :D

enigma
03-12-2003, 09:43 PM
I did some tests today on the A50 on the way back from Blackpool.........there were no noticable differences with the new scoop, positive or negative. The APEXi registered 278BHP on one occasion, a couple of low 270 and a number of 260s. I did get one reading of 298BHP which got me very moist until I realised I had changed the boost inadvertantly!

As it does no harm I will leave it in and see how it performs long term.......I would like to get some mpg back though as I am currently only getting 20 :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

-LegnumVR4-
04-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Ok well it was worth a try. The sponge on the bonnet prop isn't in the way of the airflow Dave? Any chance of testing the stock airbox and comparing it to ur current setup?

Cheers,
Rhys