PDA

View Full Version : misty rear window

banjo
30-11-2003, 07:14 PM
I have a problem, several weeks ago I noticed my car's back window was misted up, okay it had been raining and the weather was generally damp. I used the back window demister and it went. The front windows and windscreen were also misty but not as bad as the back and I used the a/c to clear them.

Now today INSERT INTO post VALUES (Sunday) I went out at 9 in the morning, it was a bit foggy and generally damp - normal for this time of the year and the sane thing, misty rear window, the other 2 cars in our house were not misty. I drove for about 12 miles with the a/c on and in recirc mode, it mostly went. After about 11/2 hours I returned and the the same problem, including the the rear door windows. I opened the boot and the boot lid was wet. Nowhere else in the boot was wet. I inspected the rest of the car's carpets which were all dry. My initial suspicions are that the normal through flow of air from the cabin to the boot and then exit the car is not happening and any moisture is precipitating in the boot. It was sunny when I returned home so I open the roof and back window and all damp disappeared except from the boot lid which was still wet

So I can sort, does anyone know where the ventilation outlet vent in the boot is? Or has anybody else had the same prob. Thanks.

:headsc:

Brind
30-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Mine mists up heavily to but it doesn't take too long to clear with the front and rear demisters turned on with the blower at around 3 bars high.

I noticed that when I start the car up again after a about an hour or so of being parked, the front screen becomes misty in seconds even if it was clear instantly beforehand as it kind of gushes up from the vents?? but then clears away again as soon as it comes. Never seen a car do that before? :confused:

Try a different glass cleaner as some prevent excessive misting.

As for a vent in the rear, I assume there is one under the front seats and that is it.
But the vents on at the front like I described works well enough for me.

Nick Mann
30-11-2003, 07:46 PM
I am on my secong galant, and both have misted and demisted on wet day start up when they are already warm. I guess it is a quirk to the car.

The only way to blow air directly at the rear passengers is from the backwards pointing vents under the front seats, as Brind says. These are linked with the aircon unit to blow when the front foot vents are blowing.

On many cars there is an atmosphere vent at the back of the car, to allow air to leave the car, but I don't know if the galant has one.

Brind
30-11-2003, 08:13 PM
I had one of those little ceramic fan heaters on the rear shelf of one of my old cars and that worked quite well..

Nick Mann
30-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Brind
I had one of those little ceramic fan heaters on the rear shelf of one of my old cars and that worked quite well..

The ultimate mod! Mo, are you taking notes?
:D

Brind
30-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Too right!!! remove the rear screen and point it backwards!! instant thrust, just don't bother waiting for the afterburners to light. :D

Nick VR4
30-11-2003, 08:38 PM
I get this to sometimes but fan on full blast works wonders and heated window on
I also think it has something to do with what settings the car is left with
IE. recirculation air setting or getting air from outside of car
As the AC will always recirc air it maybe this causing condensation or it maybe or having vents open outside
I have sat in the car with no ignition key and could feel air coming from outside through vents

MMm time for some experiments me thinks

banjo
30-11-2003, 08:48 PM
There's got to be a vent outlet, otherwise there would be no change of air in the car, the question is when you are on recirc whether this vent closes also as well as the inlet vent in the front of the car, if so whether in my case this has malfunctioned and is staying closed.

The bizzare thing is I had the same prob on my Senator, the outlet in that car was through the spare wheel well and out through the bumper but water was coming through where the bumper protuded into the spare wheel well which wasn't sealed properly after a repair when a muppet rear ended me.

banjo
30-11-2003, 09:16 PM
I think you have a point Nick, when I parked the car this morning it had the a/c and recirc on, therefore no throughput of air. Will have to make sure a/c and recirc are off and see....

zedy1
01-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Nick Mann
The ultimate mod! Mo, are you taking notes?
:D
i dont need to look thriugh my rear and side windows thats why they have limo black tints

Spirit
01-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Mine suffers the same as you guys have all reported. Left work today and was clear even though p*ssing with rain. Got home ten mins later having used a/c and then went back out 4 hrs later and really misted up all around. Will be interesting to see the results of some experiments

Simon
01-12-2003, 11:41 PM
The rear air outlet is in the boot! When you open your boot it is down to th eright under the carpet, in the well area. Found it easy when i stripped the car for pod...there may be pictures about somewhere. Also found the tracker device location!

Spirit
02-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Simon
Also found the tracker device location!

Opps ! Don't think they would have wanted that!:D

BraindG
02-12-2003, 12:53 PM
hehe, this reminds me when i bought my first VR4, there i was chuffed to death.. driving up the road casually looking cool.. about 15 miles from Newbury, and without warning every window in the car just misted up!.. i couldn't see anything, So i opened up the windows, and slowly they cleared.. cool.. meanwhile i was playing with the console trying to get some air to vent up to the front windscreen.. once that was figured out i set it to full, and closed all the windows again.. everything was ok for about another 5 miles, then it happened again..

the once cool looking Barry in his brand new car, was slowly starting to look like a complete twat.. after two more cases of opening all the windows, i decided to stop and try and figure out what the hell was going on...

then, i spotted the recycling button.. hhmmm.. what's this i wondered.. pressed it, and within a few seconds.. swoosh.. all windows were clear again.. Barry slapped his forehead before looking around seeing if anyone had noticed my stupidity...

suffice to say, that has never happened again..

BraindG
02-12-2003, 12:54 PM
oh, and yes clean windscreen do help prevent misting

colVR4
02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Confusious say... :D

Originally posted by BraindG
clean windscreen do help prevent misting

colVR4
02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I have a little 'demist' button on the a/c I just press that in the morning and 'hey presto' mist free windows in a matter of seconds.

I have never had any of the problems that you guys seem to be facing. Could it be that the post-facelift cars don't suffer the same problem?

BraindG
02-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by colV6Sport
Confusious say... :D

sorry, i still think in dutch sometimes :D

it should say..

oh, and yes clean windscreen do help prevent misting
Oh, and yes a clean windscreen does help prevent the windows misting up..

errr.. well its better :D

banjo
05-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Mine's post facelift. Anyway I think I've solved the problem - or rather Nick has. When you park up turn off the recirc and a/c. This, as Nick has stated means there is through flow of air in and out of the car taking moisture out. Also I think that if you switch off the engine with a/c and recirc on, any moisture which hasn't gone through the dehumidifier evaporates back into the cabin and with nowhere to go, precipitates as mist.

zedy1
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
i used to have the 7g and they did it too, best think to do is leave heating on