PDA

View Full Version : Front wear versus Rear tyre wear

scc
21-02-2007, 10:30 PM
More grief....

Since I've had the recommended lowering springs and bilstein shocks installed and car retracked, I found the rear tyres wear twice as fast as the fronts.

This can't be right? Furthermore, the rear tyre wear looks uneven and patchy.
Is this a symptom of the shocks not shock absorbing?

Cheers,
scc

g6acb
21-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I haven't done anything to my suspension (yet...) but I have always had faster wear on the rear tyres than the front - particulary on the outer edges which may well be down to the passive rear wheel steer

Wodjno
21-02-2007, 10:41 PM
which may well be down to the passive rear wheel steer

:inquisiti

g6acb
21-02-2007, 10:44 PM
:inquisiti

its a front wheel drive thing mate - oh how your 4x4 turning circle makes me chuckle

Kenneth
21-02-2007, 10:55 PM
its a front wheel drive thing mate - oh how your 4x4 turning circle makes me chuckle

True... but having 2 turbos + AYC make up for it :smug:

Are you telling me you have a FWD car, and are wearing out the rear tyres first?!

Wodjno
21-02-2007, 11:00 PM

I have a Front Wheel Drive Leggy /pan

Sorry for High Jack Stephen /Hijack

g6acb
21-02-2007, 11:06 PM
True... but having 2 turbos + AYC make up for it :smug: [quote=Kenneth]

Of that I have no doubt - but there are so few advantages to the non VR4 that you have to get the cheap shots in when you can cough mpg cough

[quote=Kenneth]Are you telling me you have a FWD car, and are wearing out the rear tyres first?!

Well no.... because I know when to rotate them so they wear out at the same time but yes... tyre wear on the rear is heavier than the front - always has been accross two fwd saloons and over 100 thousand miles between them

any way ...... back on track....... The uneven and patchy wear sounds like it needs a bit of investigation

Kieran
21-02-2007, 11:15 PM

The 4WD system has the same deformable bushes that induce toe changes under load, so don't chuckle too loudly! /Devil5

I did notice when I lowered Hordak that the rears cambered in a lot more, which would probably wear out the inner shoulders, but I didn't get any patchy wear?.....:inquisiti

SGHOM
21-02-2007, 11:16 PM
the only 'serious' tyre wear you should be getting is on the front nearside tyre wall. as most UK circuits are clockwise !! :afro: /rally /rally

Wodjno
21-02-2007, 11:29 PM
but yes... tyre wear on the rear is heavier than the front - always has been accross two fwd saloons and over 100 thousand miles between them

I have been driving Front Wheel Drive cars for 20 years and have never had a set of rear tyres where out before the fronts.. :speechles And i to, now when to rotate... The Tyres on most front wheel drive cars i have had, have normally only managed 6-8000 miles(with rotation) before being changed :inquisiti

g6acb
21-02-2007, 11:54 PM
:thinking:

I'm not trying to take the mick or teach anyone to suck eggs here.... just trying to put accross my experience related to the original post....

Old GLS v rated tyres would last 18-20k, back then mitsu garage did all the work on car and would rotate them at 9k service - the rears were always a bit more worn than the fronts when it came to changing them

New Classic w rated tyres last 15-16k, the car (mainly thanks to this forum) rarley gets seen by mitsu but I have learnt that rotating the tyres at arround 6k evens out the wear so that they are all goosed at the same time

The rears on my Galants have always worn faster - I dont know why, maybe its because my boot is always full of stuff?, maybe its that bit where the M62 meets the M1 north in a long sweeping turn that I dont lift off for and take at xx mph every day? Maybe its because I run the rears at a lower presure than the fronts because it feels better?

either way I'm not unduly worried about it, but I would never have described the wear as patchy or uneven

Kenneth
22-02-2007, 12:00 AM
The Tyres on most front wheel drive cars i have had, have normally only managed 6-8000 miles(with rotation) before being changed :inquisiti

This is something that makes be doubt the wisdom of doing a RWD conversion on my Galant VR-4... I think 6-8000 miles would probably be impossible :P

Have never owned a FWD car, but driven a few... I can tell just from driving it that the fronts are going to wear faster... :thinking:

Wodjno
22-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Stephen.. Definitley something wrong with the rear of the car i think... Somethings worn that's affecting the wear on the tyres... ??

What you upto next Sunday ?? I'm in the area all day ! If you not upto much maybe we can have a looksee ?? I bring some Jacks up and tools ??

EDIT :

Ancients only 10 mins up the road to.. :D Maybe it could be a Mini meet if he's not busy to !

scc
22-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Stephen.. Definitley something wrong with the rear of the car i think... Somethings worn that's affecting the wear on the tyres... ??

What you upto next Sunday ?? I'm in the area all day ! If you not upto much maybe we can have a looksee ?? I bring some Jacks up and tools ??

EDIT :

Ancients only 10 mins up the road to.. :D Maybe it could be a Mini meet if he's not busy to !

This sounds great! I'll be free until early afternoon as I've got to prepare for my new job which starts the next day. With much reduced mileage with the new job, a vr4 seems more and more irresistable! hehe

Cheers,
scc