PDA

View Full Version : Evo Clutch & Flywheels?

mpau009
22-02-2007, 07:42 AM
My brain hurts.. Can we sort this one out please, iv been searching my a$$ off on here and all sorts of places, and i'm more confused now than ever.

My (basic and probably wrong) understanding is that::thinking:

1-3 evo clutches are a different design, and therefore no good for the VR4 96+?

4,5,6 Are the right type, but 230mm or something that is smaller than the VR - does that mean they are usable, but no better than stock?, or just wont fit easily?

7,8,9 are 240mm, which is the right size, but there was issues with the 8 flywheel bolting up without some spacer or machining? Why do so many say 'fits evo 7-9?' is it only a problem when you try to stick it on a VR4?

..a matched evo 7 clutch and fly would be a straight bolt up fit, including aftermarket items?

The reason i ask, is this has been sitting on trademe for months, and i'm thinking of putting in an offer.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-88682600.htm

which would be matched with an evo 7 size exedy uprated clutch.

What say you?

Also, for people who have upgraded, could you please post the make and model of your clutches / flywheels so we can have a list in one place.

bradc
22-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Ask Ralliart, they install clutches into evo's and vr4's all day long.

mpau009
22-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Ask Ralliart, they install clutches into evo's and vr4's all day long.

good idea, i will do in the next few days, i just thought that enough people have been through this before that we might assemble it into one thread.

Are you sticking with the stock flywheel brad?

bradc
22-02-2007, 08:13 AM
My twin plate came with it's own flywheel, but I will be using the stock flywheel at first for my exedy heavy duty single plate.

BraindG
22-02-2007, 08:32 AM
SPEC Stage 3 (http://www.specclutch.com/csproductinfo.php?product=stage3)
For Evo 8
Required Spacer.

valmes
23-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Exedy Twin Plate Clutch (http://www.exedyusa.com/race/MM022HD)
Includes flywheel
Spacer required

Fits:
8/96 - On Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 4,5,6,7 2.0L 4G63T Turbo, pull type clutch, (CN,CP,CT9A)
2003-On Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 2.0L 4G63T Turbo, pull type clutch, (CN,CP,CT9A)

bradc
23-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Valmes, you've seen my twin plate clutch, do you think that looks like one from an evo originally or from a VR-4?

Axeboy
23-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I bought a Pro Shop Lida Clutch and Flywheel but with a CUSCO cover plate.

I'll keep you up to date on how they perform once fitted.

valmes
23-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Valmes, you've seen my twin plate clutch, do you think that looks like one from an evo originally or from a VR-4?

Umm... can you give a link to photos? :inquisiti

bradc
23-02-2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20263&highlight=twin+plate

valmes
23-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Looks like it will fit without a spacer...
If it's indeed, true OS Giken clutch it's made specificaly for our cars.
Why do you ask? You know that already! :)

bradc
23-02-2007, 07:09 PM
yeah I just wasn't 100% sure if it really was for a VR-4 or an Evo thats all. Anyway thats good news :)

Pizza
24-12-2007, 05:11 PM
So what is the verdict on the 4,5 7 6 clutches. my clutch is slipping badly and i have purchased the stock clutch and throat bearings but nobody has the pressure plate. Will any of the stock evo pressure plates work with the stock VR-4 clutch?

Help

Nick Mann
24-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I think that the flywheel is slightly different to the VR4 from the 7/8/9 but the pressure plate and friction plate are the same. The 4/5/6 has a smaller diameter clutch, but it can also fit if everything is changed.

Oblivion
27-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Just a quick question - the spacer thats needed for fitting an Evo 7 clutch+flywheel, where does it go and why is it needed?

Kenneth
27-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Just a quick question - the spacer thats needed for fitting an Evo 7 clutch+flywheel, where does it go and why is it needed?

Do you have a flywheel to look at?

The hole in the centre of the flywheel (or the plate the flywheel attaches to) is smaller on an evo.

My assumption on this is because while this is what locates the flywheel on the VR-4, the EVO locates on a wider ring.

I have drawn something up in paint that should help visualise the problem.

Also note that with the way the evo clutch locates it actually also means the ring gear is closer to the engine, and will most likely foul the starter motor.

For my evo clutch i had the centre plate machined out to allow it to locate on the standard locating spigot as well as the outer spigot.
If the depth of the evo clutch locating area is too deep, you will also foul with the crank seal.

also note that I have only made an assumption on how the EVO clutch mounts to the EVO... don't know for sure as haven't seen it!

Oblivion
27-02-2008, 02:05 AM
hmmm looks like a headache! lol If I give to a shop to do will they know what to do and save me the hassle? Prob go to Ralliart again.

Nick Mann
27-02-2008, 10:53 AM
This thread is a good one:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11086

phosty
27-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Guys, I'm having a new clutch fitted currently.

The local garage has removed the transmission and we're waiting on the OS Giken twin plate unit to be delivered from Japan.

So, I was wondering - what else could I have done while the transmission is off?

Two spring to mind:

1) Replace the output shaft with the uprated ones that the Evo boys use?

2) Change the mechanical speedo pulse unit for a mph unit?

Are there any gearbox mods that could be done?

How about putting an LSD for the front diff in the transfer box assembly? Apparently the Evo 4 had that option and we share transfer box part numbers.

I'm just looking to see if I can make optimum use of the transmission being removed now that the work has been done?

Oblivion
28-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Perhaps an LSD up front might help with understeer. Cusco make front ones for Evo's, I'm not sure if this has been done on a VR4 though.

"One way [Cusco] LSD - specially suited for front wheel drive cars and 4WD car front axles. Activates under acceleration, and acts as a true LSD when the throttle is off" - RHD Japan