PDA

View Full Version : Warrant check - tyres

GroundControl
23-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I went in for a WOF today and it failed on the rear tyres - too worn on the inside edges apparently.

So I get home this evening and take a closer look:

http://sam.ftw.net.nz/tyres/DSC_4284.jpg
http://sam.ftw.net.nz/tyres/DSC_4285.jpg

They are showing a bit of wear around the insides (the left one moreso than the right), but I wouldn't have thought that was unwarrantable, and there's still heaps of tread left over most of the tyre (at least 3mm, if not more, haven't measured accurately).

The land transport document on tyres and wheels (http://landtransport.govt.nz/publications/vir-manual/general-vehicles/10-tyres-wheels-and-hubs-v2-3.pdf) says you fail WOF if:

A tyre does not have a tread pattern depth of at least 1.5 mm (excluding any tie-bar or tread depth indicator strip) across at least three-quarters of the tread width and around the whole circumference of the tyre.

So I dunno, what do you guys reckon? I don't think this set are anywhere near had it, and I'd rather not shell out hundreds for a new pair if its not necessary. But then again, what can you do? Presumably if I take it back for a recheck without actually changing them I'll just fail again...

Gly
23-02-2007, 12:04 PM
is that canvas showing on the inside?

if so they can give you a WOF, it just dangerous

gfs car went for a wof a while ago,
the tyre was up to standard, except...

they had to fail it coz it had canvas showing like the size of half a 5c coin!

just had a second look... not canvas,

i would argue that failure!

dickytim
24-02-2007, 03:15 AM
I would argue that also, according to the legislation it is completely legal and I would quote the legislation. that is how the good years look, mine are only 10,000km old and my edges look like that as well.

oops just looked at the second pic of the RHS, that is not good, you may want to get that looked at...

Subaru ETA
24-02-2007, 05:06 AM
no canvas tho and it has 1.5 over more than three quarters of the tread...... so why the fail i would ask

d i c k i e s
24-02-2007, 08:27 AM
lemme take a wild guess... u went to VTNZ

pitslayer
25-02-2007, 09:34 AM
they look a bit worn, but you need more than 1.5mm of tread past the middle the off the tyre....either way, why are you arguing that your tyres still have a few .mms of tread left on them...worn tyres are dangerous, dont put of safety, they might be F1s and they might stick to the road, i know i run them. but if there that worn out throw them away, your braking distance is seriously deminished with worn tyres

GroundControl
25-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not arguing that they have a few mm of tread on them, they have craploads of tread left - that's my point, apart from a bit of wear around a small portion of the width of the tyre they look fine... which is why I asked people's thoughts on the matter.

I went to a tyre place on the weekend and they reckoned I should replace them (although they would say that, being a potential sale for them) so I'll get a new pair and an alignment while I'm at it...

bradc
25-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Hyper tyres are very cheap for 17" GSD3's Sam, they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Gly
25-02-2007, 07:33 PM
wanna sell you old tyres?

would be ok of a 17" spare wheel,

need to find a rim the cears brembos

GroundControl
25-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah sure, I'll make sure to hang onto them when I get the new pair...

bradc
25-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Carsten, just put your current spare wheel onto the back, then move your back wheel to the front :)

Gly
26-02-2007, 04:50 AM
way to lazy, ill just get one that fits all round

and sissor jacks suck. y would i wanna jack it up twice?!

Kenneth
28-02-2007, 12:08 AM
one of the tyres looks very dangerous. had a couple like that on my galant GDI.
Passed WOF because it was only on the shoulder, but when the tyres were taken off even the inside had started to shed rubber.

if that is the inside of the wheel, I would get your camber looked at, as that shouldn't happen unless your car was significantly lowered. (and I know it is not)

either that, or you may have run the tyre at too low a pressure for a little while.

Kenneth
28-02-2007, 02:47 AM
if that is the inside of the wheel, I would get your camber looked at, as that shouldn't happen unless your car was significantly lowered. (and I know it is not)

er, I meant alignment... get your alignment checked

GroundControl
03-03-2007, 03:50 AM
I got around to getting a new pair today... one of the old ones did need replacing, but the other was still acceptable... and got my alignment done too, so hopefully these ones last a bit better than the last lot :)

Munta
12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
ive had tyres ALOT worse than that, that passed... they only lasted less than 500ks b4 canvas came thru.