PDA

View Full Version : AYC fluids and switch change

Davezj
26-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Well i have had a busy day.

AYC has been playing up for the last week or so. Got a replacement AYC pressure switch from MALC top job.

Followed the Article and had it done in 30mins. only problem i had was the when the switch was removed presurised fluid shot out, didn't expect that, but everything else was good.

Secong thing i did was change the diff oil and AYC fluid. followed the article in the library which was great. seems easy to do and the Diff oil was. AYC was more of an issue.

Before draining the ayc fluid i removed the fill plug or tried to. The space provied to get a socket on was ok. however i had a long reach 17mm socket which was too long to fit in the space and a standard socket that was too short. In the end i managed to extend the standard Socket with the power bar attachment that nobody ever uses in there socket set and a 3/8 ratchet drive on the end. Then i found the plug was so tight i couldn't undo it. had to extend the ratchet with a very big spanner, a cranked ring spanner, and swing on it, that did the trick.

Both of the fluids came out black. so i let them drain for and hour until nothing else came out. I refilled with Amsoil ATF and Amsoil 75w-140 as these diffs take a lot of load, well mine does. There were not many bits on the magnetic drain bolts either, which was nice.

If i hadn't had so much trouble with the ayc fill plug i could have completed the drain and fill in 30min, less the waiting time for the draining.

All in all an easy job. don't go to mitsi for this job, as any diy mechanic can do it. you will need the right tools though and a big syringe/vacum pump is an essential. you can get them from machine mart or screwfix pritty cheap. you can't get the fluids in the diff without it.

Cheers for the library articles they gave me confidence to do the jobs and it all turned out great.

AYC back upand running, and for very little cost. switch and fluids came to about £50 give or take.

Dave

Kieran
26-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Great news. Yes, the AYC clutch pack fill plug is a right mother hubbard, isn't it?! /grr

Did you need to top up the AYC hydraulic reservoir or was that OK after you changed the switch?

Davezj
26-02-2007, 12:52 AM
It was ok. it has always been a bit high in there but i was loathed to go to the hastle of draining some out because it was so bright red in perfect condition but now it is bob on the level. cheers for pointing that as it is a very valid thing to check, lots would miss this out. I know i have almost forgoten to top up the Brake fluid in the past afer bleeding.

amsoil
28-02-2007, 11:13 AM
All good stuff this; Just to let anyone whose interested know; we do a top quality oil syringe which can be found in our tools section. German made and proven over time. Even reviewed (we didn't know about it) in the Times motering section the weekend before last! As can be imagined we were wiped out in 2 days but now have them back in again. Club discount applies of course.

White Lightning
28-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Dave - did you do this on a ramp or one your drive way ? I got Mitsi to do my AYC fluid when I first got the car but when it's next due I would like to have a go myself. That said, I am not keen on getting the car jacked up in all four corners on my driveway ... :inquisiti

Danny Boy
28-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi,
Over the last week or so, my AYC light has come on after approx 50 miles, but then goes off once the ignition is turned off. The more I have driven the car, the quicker the AYC light has come on (now down to about 5 miles).
Took the care to Foursons Mitsi in Norwich, and they have booked it in for a diagnostics test tomorrow...but said worst case scenario would be a new AYC pump @£1800!
As I had planned to sell the car next week, I had something of a minor heart attack!
If it was the AYC pressure switch, which they said could possibly be the problem, where would I get one from (or would this be supplied by Mitsub)?
The AYC levels were fine in the resovoir.

Any ideas.......any feedback would be gratefully received!

Danny

Wodjno
28-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi,
Over the last week or so, my AYC light has come on after approx 50 miles, but then goes off once the ignition is turned off. The more I have driven the car, the quicker the AYC light has come on (now down to about 5 miles).
Took the care to Foursons Mitsi in Norwich, and they have booked it in for a diagnostics test tomorrow...but said worst case scenario would be a new AYC pump @£1800!
As I had planned to sell the car next week, I had something of a minor heart attack!
If it was the AYC pressure switch, which they said could possibly be the problem, where would I get one from (or would this be supplied by Mitsub)?
The AYC levels were fine in the resovoir.

Any ideas.......any feedback would be gratefully received!

Danny

Roger Rally sells them New .. http://roger-binyon.fotopic.net/p970841.html Or you could get 1 2nd hand off Mo (Zedy1) http://clubvr4.com/banner/adclick.php?bannerid=3&zoneid=0&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clubvr4.com%2Findex.php%3Fpa ge%3Dgalantspares%3F1

Kieran
28-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Malc (MPBVR4) sells pressure switches too... He does a VERY good deal for fully paid-up Club members. :scholar:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16773

Davezj
01-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I can vouch for that, i got mine from malc. and it is well worth the membership fee just to get the dicount on the pressure swith.

but rather than changing the pressure swith just do the fluids. as this can cause the ayc light to come on. my inital symptoms were, when going into a corner really hard i would get a kind of griding noise from the rear diff. a couple of them and the red AYC light would come on. Then the red AYC light would come on every time i went out after 5 mile or so.

i only used a pair of small ramps on the back to get the car up in the air. you don't need them but for £20 it makes all the jobs under the car that much easier and safer as long as you don't want to take the wheels off. they are ok for the back as they just fit under the rear bumper (my car is not lowered) so you can drive backwards on to them. i dont think they will fit under front bumper. i will have to make some custom low incline ramp for that. shouldn't be too difficult.

you may be concerned about getting the car level to avoid putting too much fluid in the diff/ayc i did the just be carefull method. and only fill the syringe/vac pump with the correct amout of fluid specified on the hand book and made sure all the old oil was drained out.

Buy the way everything is still ok with the AYC, and no leaks.

Danny Boy
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks all,
Have taken the car to Mitsubishi in Norwich and apparently the AYC pump is not producing the required pressure (ie new pump!).
Do you know of anybody that has a used one knocking about?

Thanks again for the help...
Danny

MPBVr4
01-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks all,
Have taken the car to Mitsubishi in Norwich and apparently the AYC pump is not producing the required pressure (ie new pump!).
Do you know of anybody that has a used one knocking about?

Thanks again for the help...
Danny

The pump loses it's performance over a period of time and does not produce enough pressure to trigger the setpoint on the standard issue Mitsi switch.
Fit a new switch and you will have the green bars dancing away again. (AYC working)

Danny Boy
01-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for that - was thinking of trying that first. Will it work regardless of how much pressure the pump has lost?
I hope to be selling the car soon, so didnt want to throw too much money at it - where would be the best place to get a lower pressure switch from?
The green bars still work, but Mitsi said this may be cos there is still some AYC from the pressure that it does have.
Any comments/directions as to who can sort me out with said item would be much appreciated.
Thanks again,
Danny

Davezj
01-03-2007, 10:50 PM
PM malc (MPBVR4) he will be able to sort you out with one. not sure of the price as you are not a full paid up member but you can only ask.

the switch come set at 9-10bar by malc but if you need to tweek it, there is a screw in between the to terminals and with this you can drop the pressure at which the ayc will work. you will have to snip off the connector that is on the car and replace with a couple of faston crimps which a supplied by malc as well (a very nice man, a very very nice man).

use the link that kieran posted above. to find out more.

Dave

Danny Boy
03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Excellent - thanks guys....will do!